1996 Sea Ray Ski Ray outboard thoughts ?

FX Dupuis

• Baller

Hi ! I've just started to be obsessed with slalom skiing after 15 years of not skiing because of a knee injury lol. My son picked up skiing as he is old enough also recently. I am kind of a cheap guy and really DIY so after thinking a lot, I concluded that a outboard ski boat is the easiest motor to repair and really cheaper than a ''real'' ski boat:(direct drive). I am presently skiing my parents crestliner 90 hp and it is a struggle to get up at every time. I went today to see a 1987 Baja sunsport 196 with a monster 200hp yamaha v6 2 stroke but the wake was way too big for me as my knees really are weak. So I know that everybody is gonna that say that I am the problem, not the wake. But I've stumbled on  market place on a 1996 Sea Ray ski ray tournament 19' outboard with a Mercury 2 stroke 175. The guy doesnt want to go test drive it as he is far from water(it's on a trailer at his home) but I can do all checkup on site(compression,hull and transom solidity and floor rot. So my point is do these boats have a small wake that I can cross  like a bullet without jumping to the moon ? I know that I've said that I'm a cheap guy and I will put a lot of fuel in the boat because 2 stroke are thirsty but I don't care about gas. The only thing that I care is that I buy a boat that I can maintain myself with lots of cheap parts if anything goes wrong. Indmar and Lt1 will be when I'm older/richer 🙂

• Like 1

• Baller

Good morning.  I became a tournament inboard guy, but grew up on outboard boats, advancing to outboard barefoot tournament boats, then to inboards when the passion became slalom course skiing.  I've owned 2 Ski Centurion outboards (Warrior Barefoot Comp and Falcon Barefoot), driven/skied the Sanger outboard, driven/skied the Malibu/Flightcraft outboard, driven/skied the SkiRay.  

SkiRay--it's most like a traditional open-bow family boat. Wake is ok.  Quality is good.  It's not a performance boat in terms of drive.  It's better than most run-about boats for sure, but not like the others I'm about to list that drive like sports sedans.

Centurions--great if you can find a good example.  Warrior Barefoot is really small.  Falcon Barefoot very family friendly in size but tough to find one in nice shape. I owned one 20 plus years.   Wood components/stringer--be careful.

Sanger outboard---God's own wake it hardly exists.  Wood stringers so check it out carefully--no open bow.

Malibu/Flightcraft outboard--the best built of the bunch--especially when Malibu took over.  Small but sporty, fantastic wake.  No open bow.   

As a recreational skier you may find the SkiRay is the right fit.  Decent wake, open bow, good quality.  It's less refined in the drive, not as sporty, but would take rough water better due to more V in the hull entry.  The people I knew that had one were very happy with it as more recreational style skiers.  It may be a gateway drug for you--get into skiing more then pick up an inboard one day.  

• Like 7

• Baller

Im not sure your assumptions are correct about an inboard vs out board.  There is literally nothing easier to work on and easier to get parts for than an old inboard boat.  All they are is a 350 chev or ford 351.   Tons of great websites to get parts from if you cant find them at your local parts store.  Access to the engine is as easy as any engine on anything.   I also don’t think you would pay too much more for an old inboard than an outboard and it will give you far less trouble IMHO.   
as far as not test driving,  i would never buy a boat without a test drive.  

• Like 7

• Baller

a merc 175 can run forever, Ski ray outboard has a face only its mother can love, but its practicality may endear it to you. 

if your are mid-day upper recreational skiing, it may take the chop and rough best. Higher freeboard than the bunch too

I concur with @6balls with order of ski performance

Barefoot warrior comp is great all round performer and examples are out there , but must be disciplined to not FAFO what it can bite you above 55 or so  in irregular water. keep it below 50 and you'll think i was blowing smoke

Sanger is queen, i have faith in their constuction. more interior room

Flightcraft, i'll trust its king with the right engine, as my first-hand experience is not here

• Like 1

• Baller

I agree with @Brokenstack about the low cost of running older inboards. All analogue dash, simple ignitions/fuel systems and possibly the most easiest engines to get parts for.

I have seen several Ski Brendellas, MB Pros and Ski Centurions for sale in out area that are all in decent shape priced South of 10K Canadian that spent most of their life in a garage. They could be had for 5K USD. You cannot enter the ski boat arena much cheaper than that. 

• Like 5

• Baller
16 hours ago, LOTW said:

Would you buy a car without test driving it?
Old Merc = YIKES!!! You'll never be richer owning one of those!

Yeah, It needs to be tested for sure. I thought Mercs were okay... cool to know, what is you opinion about old yamaha 2 strokes or 2 strokes in general ?

16 hours ago, 6balls said:

Good morning.  I became a tournament inboard guy, but grew up on outboard boats, advancing to outboard barefoot tournament boats, then to inboards when the passion became slalom course skiing.  I've owned 2 Ski Centurion outboards (Warrior Barefoot Comp and Falcon Barefoot), driven/skied the Sanger outboard, driven/skied the Malibu/Flightcraft outboard, driven/skied the SkiRay.  

SkiRay--it's most like a traditional open-bow family boat. Wake is ok.  Quality is good.  It's not a performance boat in terms of drive.  It's better than most run-about boats for sure, but not like the others I'm about to list that drive like sports sedans.

Centurions--great if you can find a good example.  Warrior Barefoot is really small.  Falcon Barefoot very family friendly in size but tough to find one in nice shape. I owned one 20 plus years.   Wood components/stringer--be careful.

Sanger outboard---God's own wake it hardly exists.  Wood stringers so check it out carefully--no open bow.

Malibu/Flightcraft outboard--the best built of the bunch--especially when Malibu took over.  Small but sporty, fantastic wake.  No open bow.   

As a recreational skier you may find the SkiRay is the right fit.  Decent wake, open bow, good quality.  It's less refined in the drive, not as sporty, but would take rough water better due to more V in the hull entry.  The people I knew that had one were very happy with it as more recreational style skiers.  It may be a gateway drug for you--get into skiing more then pick up an inboard one day.  

thanks a lot for the listing of the other '' respectables'' outboard ski boats. especially the fact that you mention  the open or not bow, it is a must to have for my wife as it is the only thing she asked me the boat to have. The outboard skiray has a table that fits were the motor of the inboard would be, it's really family oriented as you said and this suits my wife well. If I bought a close bow direct drive for skiing only I will get  divorce.

15 hours ago, Brokenstack said:

Im not sure your assumptions are correct about an inboard vs out board.  There is literally nothing easier to work on and easier to get parts for than an old inboard boat.  All they are is a 350 chev or ford 351.   Tons of great websites to get parts from if you cant find them at your local parts store.  Access to the engine is as easy as any engine on anything.   I also don’t think you would pay too much more for an old inboard than an outboard and it will give you far less trouble IMHO.   
as far as not test driving,  i would never buy a boat without a test drive.  

thanks for the answer. You are probably right, I've got brainwashed by malibu forums and mastercraft forums as it is only people reporting problems with their v-8 engine. but forums are there to solve problem lol

15 hours ago, ReallyGottaSki said:

a merc 175 can run forever, Ski ray outboard has a face only its mother can love, but its practicality may endear it to you. 

if your are mid-day upper recreational skiing, it may take the chop and rough best. Higher freeboard than the bunch too

I concur with @6balls with order of ski performance

Barefoot warrior comp is great all round performer and examples are out there , but must be disciplined to not FAFO what it can bite you above 55 or so  in irregular water. keep it below 50 and you'll think i was blowing smoke

Sanger is queen, i have faith in their constuction. more interior room

Flightcraft, i'll trust its king with the right engine, as my first-hand experience is not here

Lol ! the ski ray have it's own charm I guess. thanks for the info on mercury motors

• Baller
15 hours ago, S1Pitts said:

I agree with @Brokenstack about the low cost of running older inboards. All analogue dash, simple ignitions/fuel systems and possibly the most easiest engines to get parts for.

I have seen several Ski Brendellas, MB Pros and Ski Centurions for sale in out area that are all in decent shape priced South of 10K Canadian that spent most of their life in a garage. They could be had for 5K USD. You cannot enter the ski boat arena much cheaper than that. 

Yeah, like brokenstack you are probably right. I should invest more time to learn these inboard boats. It's just that the 2 stroke outboard are simple like lawnmower lol.

• Baller

The Yammies were good, I had a couple 200's and friends had the Pro V's etc. way better than the Mercs. All of those motors are just old now and not worth wasting your time with. You'll spend more $$ and time trying to keep them running instead of being out there having fun. If you ever do get one running decently, it's still an old POS time bomb!

Like someone said, find yourself the best tournament boat you can afford, you get what you pay for. They are easier to work on than the 2smokes! ya, this one or that one has a better wake and stuff but will you really notice? Not until you go to Orlando and ski behind a new one so it really doesn't matter. 

Low hours and efi, spend the rest of your $$ on gas and get out there!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
15 hours ago, S1Pitts said:

yeah there are a few ski boats that I've seen on marketplace that were in my price range(8000-ish canadian), the ski ray is exactly my price and it's so roomy and familly-friendly. You need to be quick to grab a direct drive under 10k 🙂

• Baller

It depends on your needs.  I had my two stroke Centurion Falcon Barefoot on the public lake where I lived--225 Yamaha EFI.  Was great.  Tons of room, baby wakes for longer lines and slower speeds--actually better wake than any inboard up to 28 off.  Wicked fast and fun--like owning a classic muscle car.  We could also seat 8 comfortably for fireworks and bust back to the dock at 50 plus mph across chop with a crew of that size

But--we also had a Nautique on a farm pond with exclusive access and two courses where we trained.

If my needs were only recreational, the Falcon Barefoot wins.  If my needs are purely slalom--the inboard wins. 

Also note: the outboard is NOT very good for slow speed stuff it can't figure out whether it should plane or sink back into the hole (unless you have a big crew in the boat) so if you want to wakeboard (not much wake tough to hold speed) or knee board(a little easier but still some work on the throttle)--inboard hands down.   The outboard has just the two small platforms as opposed to a nice, big platform out back.

Bottom line is you can make the right outboard work.  Having said that--all things considered--if you need family space and versatility--spend up a bit and get a Malibu Sunsetter Lxi--never look back.  

• Thanks 1

• Baller
16 minutes ago, LOTW said:

The Yammies were good, I had a couple 200's and friends had the Pro V's etc. way better than the Mercs. All of those motors are just old now and not worth wasting your time with. You'll spend more $$ and time trying to keep them running instead of being out there having fun. If you ever do get one running decently, it's still an old POS time bomb!

Like someone said, find yourself the best tournament boat you can afford, you get what you pay for. They are easier to work on than the 2smokes! ya, this one or that one has a better wake and stuff but will you really notice? Not until you go to Orlando and ski behind a new one so it really doesn't matter. 

Low hours and efi, spend the rest of your $$ on gas and get out there!

haha it makes a lot of sense, I need to be patient lol. EFI boats are still pretty expensive but maybe I'll get lucky. There is a guy that need to go see the ski ray before me, I hope he'll buys it :).  If he doesn't, I'll make an offer kinda a low that it is still a good deal.

• Baller
8 minutes ago, 6balls said:

It depends on your needs.  I had my two stroke Centurion Falcon Barefoot on the public lake where I lived--225 Yamaha EFI.  Was great.  Tons of room, baby wakes for longer lines and slower speeds--actually better wake than any inboard up to 28 off.  Wicked fast and fun--like owning a classic muscle car.  We could also seat 8 comfortably for fireworks and bust back to the dock at 50 plus mph across chop with a crew of that size

But--we also had a Nautique on a farm pond with exclusive access and two courses where we trained.

If my needs were only recreational, the Falcon Barefoot wins.  If my needs are purely slalom--the inboard wins. 

Also note: the outboard is NOT very good for slow speed stuff it can't figure out whether it should plane or sink back into the hole (unless you have a big crew in the boat) so if you want to wakeboard (not much wake tough to hold speed) or knee board(a little easier but still some work on the throttle)--inboard hands down.   The outboard has just the two small platforms as opposed to a nice, big platform out back.

Bottom line is you can make the right outboard work.  Having said that--all things considered--if you need family space and versatility--spend up a bit and get a Malibu Sunsetter Lxi--never look back.  

Very interesting thoughts, thanks a lot for these information as it is from someone who seems to have waterski all his life 🙂 . the falcon barefoot is a beauty lol but it's gonna be as expensive as a inboard... the opinions seems to be negative towards outboards for reliability/maintenance costs etc... maybe the goal would be to spend a little bit more and never look back like you said(i love that expression).

• Baller

They exist, dude here just sold his '96 Response with efi and 75 hours, YES, 75! Unicorn for sure but they are out there. He was asking $19CDN. Be patient but be ready to strike!

Depending where you are, finding a guy that can rebuild an inboard carb can be challenging. EFI!!!

• Like 1

• Baller
10 minutes ago, Ski_Dad said:

outboard fan as well.  If I could not lake test it the price would go way down on my offer (like 2-3k)

Cool ! an outboard fan ! you shift the opinion a little bit towards the even side lol. Yeah I think thats I will do and I think it's the only way to score a good deal/steal. Cause the price he,s asking for the boat is not that much under the inboards good prices.

4 minutes ago, LOTW said:

They exist, dude here just sold his '96 Response with efi and 75 hours, YES, 75! Unicorn for sure but they are out there. He was asking $19CDN. Be patient but be ready to strike!

Depending where you are, finding a guy that can rebuild an inboard carb can be challenging. EFI!!!

EFI indmar was my dream engine, maybe aI should ski my parents fish boat and get a hold of myself for a while... I've got brainwashed by watching old budweiser ski tour on youtube 🙂 Man those were the DAYS

• Baller

Hey if you like outboards and understand them, By all means get one.   I have zero experience with them and admit I am biased towards inboards.  Nothing cooler to me but they may not suit you.  My wife’s only request is always an open bow too.  

• Thanks 1

• Baller
2 minutes ago, Brokenstack said:

Hey if you like outboards and understand them, By all means get one.   I have zero experience with them and admit I am biased towards inboards.  Nothing cooler to me but they may not suit you.  My wife’s only request is always an open bow too.  

undertanding them would be a big statement. As a matter of fact, I like every boats lol, it is really a quest to find the less expensive but quality ski boat so inboard or outboards are welcome. It's just that people tend to sell outboards wayyyyy cheaper for what i've seen in my area all summer.

• Baller
11 minutes ago, Brokenstack said:

You are not wrong. Inboards up front are more expensive.  Once you have one i think they might be less expensive to run but i have no basis for that. And if you like every boat we would get along just fine.😎

From every forum post I've read is these 2 strokes are thirsty as hell but it's raining spareparts... Maybe because they are always broken hahaha... I'm got no real basis for that too. As we love all boats, maybe I'll wait a little to get a directdrive. thanks

• Baller

I had a 1995 malibu flightcraft barefooter with a 200 merc. Was a great boat, never had a problem with the Merc. The only cons were. High pylon so rope can go over motor. When you cut back and forth the boat will rock side to side. Also having to sit on a little platform while trying to put your ski on half in the water. Also getting back in the boat on that small platform. 

• Thanks 1

• Baller
6 minutes ago, foxriverat said:

I had a 1995 malibu flightcraft barefooter with a 200 merc. Was a great boat, never had a problem with the Merc. The only cons were. High pylon so rope can go over motor. When you cut back and forth the boat will rock side to side. Also having to sit on a little platform while trying to put your ski on half in the water. Also getting back in the boat on that small platform. 

Cool ! thanks for  these informations. Opinions on Mercurys are really divided... The size of the platform doesn't really matter but the rocking of the boat does... I take notes. thanks.

• Baller

We ran a 1988 Merc 175 from '88 to '01 when we got our first Malibu, which is the last ski boat my dad will ever buy (he's in his 70s now).

The Merc on a lightweight hull was more fun to drive than any inboard, and had ridiculously soft small wakes.  It ran great once we learned its idiosyncrasies but it wasn't idiot-proof like the Indmar Monsoon.

There's a reason we never went back to outboard power though.  The inboard is far more versatile and reliable.

• Like 1

• Baller

Old mercury two strokes are not notoriously thirsty motors, at least when they are running flat out. At idle they waste a lot of gas, but if you’re mostly skiing on it you won’t be running it at the low efficiency rpm range as much as you otherwise might. 

the deck space is real nice, too. 

• Like 1

• Baller
8 hours ago, UWSkier said:

We ran a 1988 Merc 175 from '88 to '01 when we got our first Malibu, which is the last ski boat my dad will ever buy (he's in his 70s now).

The Merc on a lightweight hull was more fun to drive than any inboard, and had ridiculously soft small wakes.  It ran great once we learned its idiosyncrasies but it wasn't idiot-proof like the Indmar Monsoon.

There's a reason we never went back to outboard power though.  The inboard is far more versatile and reliable.

yes indeed  the inboard is far more reliable, I don't know if we can call the ski ray a lightweight hull..... we'll see.

4 hours ago, FullFlavorPike said:

Old mercury two strokes are not notoriously thirsty motors, at least when they are running flat out. At idle they waste a lot of gas, but if you’re mostly skiing on it you won’t be running it at the low efficiency rpm range as much as you otherwise might. 

the deck space is real nice, too. 

cool ! positivity for mercs !!! it also runs on regular gasoline(the manual says it, 87 octane) I suppose you are talking about the deck space on the ski ray, yes it's roomy as hell, the coast guard tag says 8 people or 1880 pounds, prettty big 🙂

3 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

My dad worked for a dealership that sold outboards for years. All I can say is Mercery makes a pretty good outboard, but Yamaha hands down if you can get one of similar age, hours and condition.  

cool to hear !  Mercury is like the second choice, at least it's better than third lol.

3 hours ago, DvarianDan Johnson said:

Buy a real ski boat and go ski............

too late, I've bought the poor man's ski boat lol can wait to go ski it tomorrow, I will give news on the thread.

1 hour ago, RichardDoane said:

Or at least plan on buying a new, reliable, 4 stroke engine

I was planning it but the mercury spoke to me, ski me he said...

I've bought the Ski Ray for 4800 usd without trying it. the hull was great, the leather was great, it has 2 batteries, bluetooth radio,  2 speedometers(does your direct drive boats have that😆 ), the compression was good. But I have a floor to redo this winter... 4x8 approx.. can't wait to write how the first course went lol and maybe a lot of people on this thread who shat on mercury and ski ray will be right... we'll see, goodnight.

• Like 2

• Baller

$4800 you bought a lot of fun for the $$.  Congrats.  I owned my Centurion w/outboard Yamaha for 20 plus years and I had zero maintenance.  It was stored in heated hangar winters so I didn't even winterize it.  Now it's my nephews boat--no motor maintenance and he's had it 4 years.  Prior to my ownership it was my fathers boat for 8 years--no motor maintenance problems.  

Today I'm an inboard guy, but I have respect for a good outboard---but it's gotta be a good one---basically one of the barefoot boats.  The skiray is ok--a big step above your stern drives, your fish n ski, your run-abouts.  

Enjoy it for a while, laugh your way to the bank, then next time up pick up an outboard barefoot boat or, better yet, step up to an inboard open bow.  

Let's see your new ride.

• Like 3

• Baller
6 minutes ago, 6balls said:

$4800 you bought a lot of fun for the $$.  Congrats.  I owned my Centurion w/outboard Yamaha for 20 plus years and I had zero maintenance.  It was stored in heated hangar winters so I didn't even winterize it.  Now it's my nephews boat--no motor maintenance and he's had it 4 years.  Prior to my ownership it was my fathers boat for 8 years--no motor maintenance problems.  

Today I'm an inboard guy, but I have respect for a good outboard---but it's gotta be a good one---basically one of the barefoot boats.  The skiray is ok--a big step above your stern drives, your fish n ski, your run-abouts.  

Enjoy it for a while, laugh your way to the bank, then next time up pick up an outboard barefoot boat or, better yet, step up to an inboard open bow.  

Let's see your new ride.

thanks a lot 6balls, a Centurion would have been awesome, If I see anything way better I could sell the ski ray anytime next spring. I will provide picture soon. I am back from  my first ride but it was windy as hell. The wake wasn't that flat at 30 but like you said it is okay. Everything important looks okay but now my main problem is the dang throttle lever doesn't lock on at desire speed, it slips back. This what you got when you go cheap, part of the game, I will solve it.

• Baller
25 minutes ago, foxriverat said:

@FX DupuisMake sure the motor is trimmed all the way down for best wake

thanks a lot, I was wondering what was the best setting.

18 minutes ago, Brokenstack said:

Lets see some pics 

yes I will soon, I was preoccupied by my throttle issue and now it's raining...

• Baller
On 9/5/2024 at 9:54 PM, FX Dupuis said:

Yeah, like brokenstack you are probably right. I should invest more time to learn these inboard boats. It's just that the 2 stroke outboard are simple like lawnmower lol.

Way easier for me to keep my inboard running good than a lawn mower. One more vote for an older inboard. 

Edit: just read the rest of the thread. I wish I could delete my comment, but I can’t see how to do that. Sounds like you found a boat that’ll work great!

• Like 1

• Baller
22 hours ago, OREGON85 said:

Way easier for me to keep my inboard running good than a lawn mower. One more vote for an older inboard. 

Edit: just read the rest of the thread. I wish I could delete my comment, but I can’t see how to do that. Sounds like you found a boat that’ll work great!

haha it's okay, it was a constructive comment ! thanks !

z4J9hq87.jpgQRmqXKgI.jpganZbEqRg.jpgapB81Okm.jpgQcWR90Am.jpgNlP2WmE1.jpgHere are some picture, you can see the coolest thing : The ski hangar ! lol I like it very much but I know it can be a ticking timebomb but I don't care(or try to) I will have the most fun out it, until the wheels fall off(boat don't have wheels, I know 🙂 ) I am a little ashamed of the redneck throttle cable upgrade but it does work perfect. The wake is not  flat but at 37 mph it's respectable. I will need to learn to cross the wake at a perfect angle to save my tender knees. Thanks a lot about all your opinions and wisdom, you are a great forum people.

• Like 2

• Baller

That cable clamp is fairly common for the throttle cable on that vintage of Morse controls.  Without it, the throttle would probably walk back to idle without a hand on it constantly.  I've got one on mine.  Ski-dim sells a slightly more elegant one (think they call it a cable brake), but the cable clamp works just as well.

• Baller
7 minutes ago, TomH said:

That cable clamp is fairly common for the throttle cable on that vintage of Morse controls.  Without it, the throttle would probably walk back to idle without a hand on it constantly.  I've got one on mine.  Ski-dim sells a slightly more elegant one (think they call it a cable brake), but the cable clamp works just as well.

Oh okay cool to know that they are common, it is a necessity when you have people that are not use to tow a skier that drives the boat. I don't need a more elegant one, I've hid it under a trim 🙂 .  yeah I've saw them but they were like 25 $. That one was 1,25$ at canadian tire.

• Baller

Welcome to the forum! You made a great purchase. Lots of fun in store for you. Take a look at some of the threads on here about ski techniques. There's a lot about wake crossing, etc. Great resources. 

• Like 1

• Baller
1 minute ago, ETskier said:

Welcome to the forum! You made a great purchase. Lots of fun in store for you. Take a look at some of the threads on here about ski techniques. There's a lot about wake crossing, etc. Great resources. 

thanks alot sir ! This site is a paradise of information because of great people like you !

• Baller

Good for you, enjoy!

You have a real Morse control on an outboard! Lots of jealousy from other outboard ski boats with the clumsy, imprecise control box

there are remote trim buttons you can mount on the steering wheel, hit with your thumb, so you won't have to do the hokie pokie, and can keep ones hands on the controls

• Like 1

• Baller

Super cool boat that is going to provide tons of fun! Good for a booze cruise or ski session. 

that’s one of the biggest swim steps I have ever seen on an outboard ski boat. You might even be able to get double boots on 😂

I wonder if the hull is rated for a 225 someday 😂

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, KRoundy said:

Congrats! That boat always intrigued me and it looks like you got a really nice one. I’m a Merc fan and hope that boat brings you tons of enjoyment. 

Do you ski at 37MPH? 

I thought I was skiing at that speed😆 but the speedometer is wrong I think I am more around 30 mph. We have to be no more than 3 in the boat because we were 8 today and the wake was ginormous.