98 Ski Nautique back floor panel replacement

Fam-man

• Baller

The back floor panel on our 98 Ski Nautique is starting to get soft after years of people stepping into the boat at the same spot. I'm specifically referring to the removal floor section behind the engine cover. I am looking to replace it this off season and was wondering what others have used that is light weight and durable. Would probably cover it with a material like sea deck for foot comfort and faster drying compared to the current carpet.

Thanks in advance for suggestions and experience.  

• Baller

I have replaced that panel on 3 different malibus at this point.  All have aluminum composite flooring.  I ended up using 3/4" plywood.  I stained it and then placed a layer of fiberglass overtop to waterproof

• Baller_

My approach was one of weight reduction, so I made a panel using a foam core and wrapping in carbon fiber.  I added a rib on the underside to add stiffness.  Cut the weight in half.  I did same with platform, finished item is just under 10 lbs w/ brackets.  You can do similar and use marine plywood as the core.

https://www.boatoutfitters.com/coosa-composites-board?gad_source=1&gbraid=0AAAAADyfhhcizCV88wUyuYODzN4ekhFKG&gclid=Cj0KCQjw8--2BhCHARIsAF_w1gxt-jXE1YtRQjmzI0b3cnNHckH6KXAdwKeIXwKCRq2thkWN8OPgLwsaAmSXEALw_wcB

Edited by DW
  • Like 1

• Baller

Do a search for aircraft grade aluminum honeycomb panels. Depending on how big a piece you need they are not that expensive. My buddy did his Malibu floor panel with this. If I remember he used 2 thin ones sandwiched together to get the thickness he needed.

• Baller

Mine has a plate of starboard (MC) and it is HEAVY.  A few years back I took a sheet of pegboard and screwed it to the back and then drilled pilot holes through that on a grid and nascar drilled them from behind.

Still heavy.  If I do it again I'm either going to fiber wrap some luan or do plywood raw.

• Baller

@brody Did the same for my buddy’s RLXi over the past winter.

• Remove honeycomb panel

• Remove carpet from panel and clean for color-matched re-use. Toughest part of project. 

• Match thickness of panel (I glued and clamped a couple sheets of ply together. 

• Prime and paint.

• Reattach carpet with adhesive on top. Wrap edges and staple on bottom. Sealed frayed carpet edges with clear silicone.

Done. Stronger than new. Had materials on hand. Weighs maybe 5-7lb more but that’s a non-factor. 

• Baller_

Food for thought - that section of the boat more than likely gets the most water dumped on it from platform ingress at the end of your set.  If you plan on using marine plywood I suggest sealing it, treat it as a core material and cover with epoxy resin and cloth mat (carbon or fiberglass).  

I do not subscribe to the just a few pounds has no effect, it does.  You wouldn’t feel the wake is better with low fuel (transom tank) if weight was irrelevant.

• Baller

Shown here is std 3/4 cdx ply,  epoxy & glassed, sanded.  1/4" polypropylene strips to level with floor. one can sand the polypro to get it exactly even. Zero perceivable flex. i would not call it heavy in this form, that said i don't think treated is needed, if you prepare similarly and keep the boat somewhat dry.

SS t-nuts to fasten the engine cover, so not to rely on wood screws.

Didn't know then that  i had access to all the 1/2 and 3/4 coosa 11 minutes from my gf house.  i don't regret using ply then, but would have used coosa, if i had known it was so accessible there.. 

The interiors of these boats is heavy, with all that polypro backing.  wakes were substantially more awesomer on the minimalist-interior test runs.  we're tempted to get another clapped out example and build a 'barefoot special' or club boat, with just eva on the gunnels, no trunk, just a low coosa step to shelter the gas tank, or go to a bow tank. The low and narrow  stepover to the platform would be awesome .

but, lots of other projects between then and now.

IMG_20220429_143049645.jpg

IMG_20220624_155006504_HDR.jpg

• Like 2