Rope Stretch vs. ZO setting

GSchmid

• Baller

I bought one of the Masterline optimized lines at Nationals.  They had a great deal and I've heard good things.  I'm about 5 sets in and so far I like it.  I think ultimately it will be easier on my body hooking up out of the turn.  My first set was a shit show, so for those that may be thinking about the optimized line, you really have to give it 3 sets.

But here's my question:

Isn't rope stretch essentially doing the same thing as going "down" a letter?  I typically ski C2, so couldn't I achieve basically the same thing by going to A2?  (Or something in that direction)  I skied really well this weekend on the Optimized at C2, so does that mean I have the wrong ZO setting?

• Like 1

• Administrators

@GSchmid

I follow your logic, but I don't think that there's a close enough correlation between ZOnumber and rope stretch to be meaningful.

Yes, you could argue something like with "A1" the boat comes on later and more gradually, therefore mimicking a softer line.

Even if we were to get all engineer about it, can we measure the force in the handle? I don't think you would ever find an exact equal between the settings and the ropes. Furthermore, the ropes change. A brand new rope very likely changes quite a bit in the first 10 rides. Then there's the problem that the three brands of boats all feel different with the same setting and doing something like changing props changes everything again. There's just too many variables.

I think your idea is an interesting perspective, but I don't think it's a guide for adjustment.

• Like 1

• Baller

@Golfguy - rope is gray with green fleck.  It's Masterline optimized, not the S-line.

@Horton - yeah I know it's not "exactly" the same, there is a lot going on.  What I feel is just a little "compliance" as I hook up.  I know there must be an "equal and opposite" reaction at the edge change, but I don't really feel it.  Just curious if that's the same thing skiers are trying to achieve by moving to a different letter.

@MS - Horton's way older than me!

• Industry Professional

@GSchmidMoving to a plus setting is a phenomenal way to make a soft rope feel stiff.  If I have a rope I like on C2, but then get a soft rope somewhere at an event, I will immediately switch to C3+ or A3+ and feel amazing.  The issues with soft ropes have a lot more to do with getting enough acceration and power out of the boat at the hookup and less to do with what happens at the edge change.

If you load the boat and have support and adequate speed into center, the rope recoil off the second wake and preturn is way less of a factor/issue to deal with.  But have a soft rope, on the wrong ZO setting and not get enough speed or swing before center, then the recoil issues off the second wake are exacerbated 10 fold and IMO become almost dangerous.

Edited by Adam Caldwell
  • Like 3