2007 Ski Nautique

waterlogged

• Baller

issues with excalibur 330. Boat cuts out and off with check engine light on, all gauges register good. Will start after cutting off.  Fuel pressure 55 plus. Has anyone had issues with 2007 Ski Nautique. Never use obtain gas. Fuel filters clean.

I was pulling waterlogged when symptoms first occurred.  Seems similar to issue/symptoms @Sportski had in the thread @h2onhk posted.  Engine sputtered when pulling at 32 and then shut down after pulling back throttle to just short of idle.  Subsequent instances would occur both at speed and idling along.  Occurs both with and without Zero Off engaged.

there is a Christmas tree fitting where the fuel line enters the low pressure  fuel pump.   remove this fitting and there is a removable metal screen  between the fitting and the pump housing.  make sure it not blocked or obstructed,   change cap and rotor .  they fail with no visual clue

• Baller

Cap and rotor. I had a that 2007 330 for 9 years and my buddy still has the same 2007 330.  He had the same issue a few weeks ago. He was actually too cheap to replace the cap so we just sanded off the corrosion off the points.  

• Haha 1

• Baller

@waterloggedDid you try replacing the spark plugs? I know it sounds so basic and you think they should last forever but that was what fixed the same issue for me. And if it’s not the problem, oh well, it’s part of a proper tune up anyway 

• Baller

I’m not super familiar with that engine but replacing the coil (not sure if it’s coil in cap or not, and I’m assuming you haven’t changed the cap and rotor as suggested since you said you swapped the alternator instead) may be worthwhile u less they’re crazy expensive. 

coils can be tricky because they sometimes develop shorts only when hot. Engine starts and runs, then bigs down under load. Never had it happen with a boat, but I have had the problem with two motorcycles and if that sounds like what you’re dealing with, maybe worth a look. 

you can always bench test it with a multimeter rather than go straight to replacing it; but that only works if the coil is shorted out even at room temperature. If course, if it fails a room temp bench test then you’ll have your answer. 

• Baller
Posted (edited)

Would suggest new cap and rotor.  Check that cam retard is set between 6-8 if you have already changed the cap and rotor or when you change them.  The cam retard is an updated spec - the original spec was 0-4.  You will need a Diacom to check cam retard.

Ref:

#SUP 2009-01 February 2009

Edited by elr
Add Reference