5.0L PCM - 2003 SN196 Opinions wanted

SportSki

• Baller

Hey there, Well they say opinions are a bit like @$$H@LES but some of my best friends are @$$H0LES so here we go -

I have found a very affordable,  very minty,  low houred (400 ish) 2003 SN196 with the PCM 5L (275HP) in it. Its the Signature line I believe - just waiting to see the remaining options.

We free ski with family and friends and I ski the course a bit but not competitively and normally behind other peoples newer boats. We do not compete, jump or trick at this point. We do cruise a bit as well.

I am not worried about resale really as it is a very reasonable deal. I am aware that this Engine does not appeal to some competitors forsure. - mostly looking for a filler boat till we can find a used 200 we want to jump on. Ands for the price I think it may just do the job as the wakes are great at the speeds/linelengths we ski at.

Just wondering if any ballers have anything good or bad too say about this Engine in the TSC2 for skiing. 

Will keep it light for skiing as always and will install SG with the Zbox as soon as possible.  

I understand putting a Cam in these can really crank the 275 HP up a bit for the $$$. Open to any opinions people may have in this department as well. 

Thanks Ballers

• Baller

I've skied behind a 2000ish SN196 with that engine.  No issues on a 2000' long ski lake getting up to 34.  Really didn't notice any difference from the GT40, though I'm sure there is a minimal overall performance decrease.

• Baller_

I recently converted one of those to E control and added zo. 

have a 654 Force propeller on it. it's in a 196. 36 mph is doable but have to start the process earlier before the 55's. it's a club boat so economical to run.. 

• Like 1

• Baller
2 minutes ago, Jody_Seal said:

I recently converted one of those to E control and added zo. 

have a 654 Force propeller on it. it's in a 196. 36 mph is doable but have to start the process earlier before the 55's. it's a club boat so economical to run.. 

Can I ask what it cost roughly Jody? 

27 minutes ago, igkya said:

If you'll be skiing at altitude, that engine may not be sufficent, otherwise, that should be a great boat.

we are at 1100 feet here and big lake so should be alright.....

• Baller

Type of skiers you ski with will make you like or dislike that engine. I had one but it’s not great out of the hole if you ski with people that want or need a strong pull up. Once it’s rolling it was good and skied great. Good fuel economy and not loud as I recall  top speed with 3 man crew was 38 +\- . Wasn’t much for barefoot either.

Good ski tug and kid wakeboarding was great.