How Goode are people finding the Ventura?

• Baller

I received my limited edition 67” Ventura last week. Coming off a D3 NRG R2.  I’ve done 4 sets and I find the ski to be a lot easier to turn, especially on my off side.  I’m struggling on my turn in for the gates though, I’m sure it’s just my crappy form.  I’ve been making 28off passes fairly easily at 32mph.  

An interesting thing I’ve noticed is that if I don’t dry the ski off the bottom of the ski will turn a milky color. It eventually goes away when the ski dries. I’ve never seen this with any other ski I’ve owned.

• Like 1

• Baller_

@tbarile, I have experienced the milky color on several Goodes and have heard of it from other skiers.  It seems to be common.  The remedy/preventative measure is to dry the ski or let it dry out of the ski case when you are storing it between ski days.  I turn mine on its side to allow the bottom to be exposed to the air, rather than trap moisture when laying bottom side down on a surface.

• Like 1

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller

I have a ski friend who skis on the ventura right now and has this to say about it. It might help people get a feel for the ski. 

"I really like my 66" Ventura.  Link

to a 35' off pass. The 66" does feel a little small to me (155 lbs, 5' 11"), it actually measures 65" and is 6.85" wide and the widest point. I have a 67" coming in a week or so to test next. I find the Ventura to be very predicable and consistent, works/turns great at stock settings."

• Like 5

• Baller

I agree on the ski feeling small.  I'm 185lb and picked the 67" per their chart and it's 66".  I really like how well it turns but wonder if the 68" would give me more speed.

• Like 1

• Baller

Goode has measured their skis differently for a long time. Goode measures along the radius of the ski, while pretty much every other company measures tip to tail.

*cue Scott Chipman comments about wetted surface area*

• Haha 4

• Baller

I thought Goode changed the way they measure about 6 years ago to match the industry standard of tip to tail? The 66" Ventura measures the exact same length as a 65" HO.

• Baller

@tbarile

just curious? Speed and line length and height at 185?

the 68” is a BIG ski. Same size as a 66” midride. That’s a lot of ski to be able to efficiently turn and slow down. 
80%+ of guys back in the day rode the 65” mid ride. 
usually heavy and or tall guys rode the 66”. 

if the 67” feels slow, your boots are probably too far back. 

• Baller

Goode has changed how they measure a couple of times. For instance, my current 68.5 9970CC is the same length as my 67 9700 and my 68 Revolution. There is no standard, every ski company is different. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, RAWSki said:

So it appears more people are measuring and comparing the lengths of their old Goodes than skiing on the newest one.  

Goode has measurement problems. They create their own scales. I prefer a ski that is 15 hands long. My fin is 9 inches long, but my inches are different.

i wonder how they order materials??

• Heterodox 1
  • Haha 4

• Baller

I switched to it from the xtr team ski.  Very impressed so far. Completely different than any other Goode I’ve skied on in decades. Rides really high and is fast. Takes some fin and binding adjusting to get it to turn but it’s a great ski. 

• Like 2

• Baller
14 hours ago, JeffSurdej said:

I switched to it from the xtr team ski.  Very impressed so far. Completely different than any other Goode I’ve skied on in decades. Rides really high and is fast. Takes some fin and binding adjusting to get it to turn but it’s a great ski. 

What fin and boot settings didn’t take to make it awesome? 

• Baller
On 8/10/2024 at 3:47 AM, Drago said:

Goode has measurement problems. They create their own scales. I prefer a ski that is 15 hands long. My fin is 9 inches long, but my inches are different.

i wonder how they order materials??

By kilogramms )

• Baller
On 8/14/2024 at 7:09 AM, jayski said:

OMG Scott Chipman snuck back on BOS via a "friend video" 😂

Not sure what your intent with this post is. Was his feedback on the Ventura controversial? He is an excellent skier and he shared his experience with me with the intent to inform me and other people. He did not ask me to post his comments; I thought it could be helpful to the community who might be thinking about trying the Ventura. With the conversations I have had with Scot, he has been helpful and informative in helping me become a better skier. While I may not agree with his theory on some topics, talking with him has helped me think outside of the box of what is considered normal in skiing.

I don't know the circumstances on why he is unable to post (nor do I care really) but it seems that alienating passionate persons from an already small sport while collectively complaining that the sport is dying is not really helping grow the sport. Passing judgement on a person based on opinions of people, who have most likely never met and only interacted via a web forum with the person in question, really doesn't make sense to me. 

But I'm not a 38' skier so what do I know....

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

@owennibley you are obviously not aware of what the "occurred" with Mr.Chipman, I have no issues with the man, and my post was not derogatory towards him in anyway...is just a little amusing when you know the story...and the "story" is between Chipman and Horton...it's theirs to share if they so choose...

• Like 1

• Baller

Just rode the new Ventura 68". I have always struggled with the speed reduction required as a seasoned (old) skier. My XTR CC was is great at 34 mph, but wasn't happening at 32 mph. Struggling to make an opener this season. I even thought pickle Ball was starting to look pretty good. Last night, out of the box, with a short soap and sponge bath, bam, opener through -28. The ski does for me all as advertised. To sum it up I would describe it as playful on the water. Fast, wide in the course and buoyant. I'm 72 yrs. young 6'1" 192 lbs.

• Like 9

Quick question for Goode skiers: I am 54, 160lbs and 5.7" ski 34mph, and into 12M.
Currently on a 9970 cc 67.75. Can easily turn it. But it is just a little big for me overall. I tend to be on the tail too much as it is like a Cadillac..

I'm interested in a XTR team for more forgiving turns and more leverage behind the boat.

For my wt. It list XTR to 160lbs 66"
and 67" 150lbs to 190lbs.

Since i can turn skis (I'm aggressive even on my 67.75" 9970 cc
Do you agree to
recommend the 67" in XTR.
Slightly larger but better than being on top side of wt for a 66" for my wt.

• Elite Skier
7 hours ago, msaccamango said:
more leverage behind the boat.

IMHO, the Ventura tracks across-course more easily than an XTR. Both have fairly forgiving turns.  

• Thanks 2

• Baller_

I have skied 6 sets on it after just getting off the water. In the past year I have most of my sets on the Titanium and most recently the XTRcc.  I have tried out a few other skis but nothing to write home about for performance on those skis. 
The Ventura feels a little bit more tracky than the XTRcc. I can feel it wanting to edge when riding flat. If you are hooking up correctly on the back side of the ball, the ski carries right through the wash, holding edge really well. The overall feel of the ski is not that much different than my XTRCC. My ball count is the same and I have to look down at my ski to notice that I am riding something different

6.832 tips, 2.490,  .712 dft flat head 

67  inch 

• Baller_

@scoke all that matters is how easy it is to get there. I had a front Approach on my Monza 

@BGrow76 it is the same effort wise. I never considered XTRs as high effort skis but rather they are skis that dont allow you to ski super fast. To me that is less effort to get up to desired speed and stay there.  When I compare the tails, they look alike. Bevel looks the same but hard to tell. It is a wider top but you cant tell by looking.  

• Like 1