New vapor boots on carbon omni

• Baller

Have size 10 2023 Vapor boots mounted on 67 carbon omni. Stock boot setting is 30 inches from tail. On the stock plates I am as far forward as I can go which is 30 inches. I would like to try going a little bit more forward. Would a Radar sequence plate allow me to move front boot forward? Looking at the sequence plate it looks like front boot can only be mounted in one spot on plate. Or do I need to customize the plate I have with a dremmel tool? Thanks. 

• Baller

I modified my sequence plate to mount the front boot further forward with the radar boots.

I drilled a set of holes 3/8" forward of the stock mounting position. You need a flat end mill to mill out the carbon plate 50% to set the heads below the bottom of the carbon plate. The screw heads to mount the bindings are not typical flat head countersunk . They are a flat head screw like the ones Radar supplies to mount the plates to the ski but a smaller size. I used a 3/8" dremel end mill in a small drill press and used the depth stop feature on the drill press to mill out the carbon plate . I also used a gasket punch to cut out the rubber pad cleanly to be able to drill and mill.

Hope this was not too confusing.

KR

• Baller

I use #8-32 pointed screws in the boot and move it forward on the plate give it a smack to spot the holes I usually do the center one first and then you can rotate it to get it where you want it. Then drill and counter sink the holes.

if you want to send me the plate I’d be happy to do it for you no charge.

• Baller
3 hours ago, foxriverat said:

Have size 10 2023 Vapor boots mounted on 67 carbon omni. Stock boot setting is 30 inches from tail. On the stock plates I am as far forward as I can go which is 30 inches. I would like to try going a little bit more forward. Would a Radar sequence plate allow me to move front boot forward? Looking at the sequence plate it looks like front boot can only be mounted in one spot on plate. Or do I need to customize the plate I have with a dremmel tool? Thanks. 

What year Omni?   If you look at the 22 chart vs the 23 chart you will see that it’s 29.5 and then 30 the next year.  I asked HO about this and the said it was an alternative setting but the ski is the same. So I would not go more that 30 but I would also experiment with 29.5.   Going too far forward might not give you the results you’re looking for.  

On a different note I just got a 2024 Carbon Omni this week.  It’s a sweet ski and all new shape!

• Baller
14 hours ago, Ski_Dad said:

What year Omni?   If you look at the 22 chart vs the 23 chart you will see that it’s 29.5 and then 30 the next year.  I asked HO about this and the said it was an alternative setting but the ski is the same. So I would not go more that 30 but I would also experiment with 29.5.   Going too far forward might not give you the results you’re looking for.  

On a different note I just got a 2024 Carbon Omni this week.  It’s a sweet ski and all new shape!

Interesting. Boot placement chart shows 29.50 on the 21,22,23 and 24 67 carbon omni with shorter dft at 0.730 On my 23 they show boot placement at 30 and longer dft at 0.770 All the skis have same surface area except 24 going from 66.89 to 66.9 which is barely anything or a different tape measure lol

• Baller

@foxriverat The one thing I like about the sequence plate is that only 6 screws to pull and you can toss it on virtually any ski. I have tried it on at least 10 skis from 4 different mfg's over a range of production years and it bolted on every ski ok after modifying the FB position on the sequence plate. The range of travel on the locking screws is considerably longer than the 5 holes on the standard plates and in order to get the FB at stock placement I have run from one end of the adjustment to the other . 

I would suspect each mfg determines the placement of the inserts based on their own bindings. I never spent the time to compare how the center hole on the plates line up between different mfg's or models of bindings.

• Like 1