Buying advice - test drive with family?!?

SewaneeHeel

• Baller

Hey Ballers - Long time lurker in search of boat buying advice. I'm somewhat in the market for a crossover boat for the family but have some convincing to do of the wife. With whatever boat comes on the market (there's a local Nautique 216 I'm curious about), I'd like to ski it (non-starter) and take the family to show my wife it's worth it over/in addition to the grandparents pontoon for pulling kids skiing/tubing/etc.

How ridiculous of an idea would it be to ask the seller for a test drive with the family? Even 'renting' or compensating seller for a couple hours in the water.

I recognize it never hurts to ask but I'm looking for any "not a chance I'd let someone do this" or other reactions before reaching out to the seller.

And/or...if there are any Lake Wylie NC/SC ballers that have a '99-06 Malibu Response/Sunsetter LXI or Nautique 206/216 to give a pull feel free to reach out!

Thanks for any thoughts.

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks, that's reassuring. I guess that's my challenge to figure out if I'm a serious buyer or not if only 1/2 of the decision makers are bought in. At this point I've only managed to convince the wife that the '93 196 I ski behind some is not a family boat...for better or worse!

• Baller_

If I was a seller, the fact you bring all users implies you are not just kicking the tires.  The current owner may end up being a better sales person to convince the CFO to give a thumbs up.

• Like 1

• Baller

You do not mention how many people are in the family and or the ages of the kids. That might make a difference to some people. However, if you are serious the seller may realize this and be OK with your request.

You are looking at the perfect family ski boat in my opinion. I have a 1999 Air Natique /Sport Natique with no tower, same boat as a 216. All of these boats are open bows and have a rear trunk. They have the same Total Surface Control hull as a Ski Natique but are 8 inches wider and they are a foot and a half longer. My family frequently has 4-6 people on board as we tend to not work from shore. Are they the perfect wake for comp skiing probably not. But you are asking about a family ski boat. Natique boats of this era are quality and durable. I can not say the same for other brands of the same era. Look for low hours, overall condition, maintenance records and fall is the best time to get a good deal on a boat.