Any disadvantage to converting seat from box to pedestal base?

• Baller

The driver’s seat in my boat is currently mounted on an aluminum base that is basically a big box with a slider on top of it. Other than requiring some inventive carpentry to attach the seat (because it is pretty old) it works fine for driving the boat. 

the problem is that it is virtually impossible for a regular sized man to access the forward storage (including the fuse panel and instrument cluster) with the seat in place, and removing it requires unbolting the substantial base from the floor, ie it’s not practical to do unless the boat is on the trailer. 

I am contemplating a pedestal-style seat mount that can be easily removed from a flush mount base.  However, I wonder if there’s some advantage to the old school box shaped base that I am not seeing. If I could quickly remove the seat it would be a real boon when I need to get into the bow for working on electronics and other components, or for stashing gear in the forward compartment. It looks like it would be about $100 to buy a new base and seat post, but I wanted to make sure there isn’t a good reason to avoid that before I pull the trigger and sink new bolts into the floor of my boat. 

• Baller_

Are any of the pedestal style brackets / seat mounts very stable?  My experience with them leans to the floppy side.  

• Like 1

• Baller
28 minutes ago, DW said:

Are any of the pedestal style brackets / seat mounts very stable?  My experience with them leans to the floppy side.  

yeah that might totally be a problem. I prefer being solidly planted to the deck while pulling a skier 😂

• Baller
3 hours ago, BraceMaker said:

There are seat release brackets for boats make it faster to pop the seat

That could improve the situation for sure. I would still have the huge aluminum base, rather than something flush to the floor, but at least the seat would be out of the way. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, BraceMaker said:

Maybe you could put the release under the base of the seat?

yeah I could certainly look for that, too.  The seat uses the standard square bolt pattern; but the base is really big so the available seat release brackets would not go under there. If I had a photo, I would post it, but my boat is currently at the marina under its canvas.