Overall Tour Austria Webcast?

• Baller

They are trying something different for this tour stop, instead of a live webcast there will be a 15-20 minute highlight video released next week. The goal is to have something that is more accessible to non-water skiers than a 3+ hour webcast.

Prelims were this morning and scores are up on the World Water Skiers site, incredible skiing from Danylo Filchenko, extra impressive considering he lives and trains in Ukraine. Hopefully some of the guys can put some pressure on Poland and make things interesting tomorrow.

• Heterodox 1

• Baller
13 hours ago, NZskier said:

They are trying something different for this tour stop, instead of a live webcast there will be a 15-20 minute highlight video released next week. The goal is to have something that is more accessible to non-water skiers than a 3+ hour webcast.

Prelims were this morning and scores are up on the World Water Skiers site, incredible skiing from Danylo Filchenko, extra impressive considering he lives and trains in Ukraine. Hopefully some of the guys can put some pressure on Poland and make things interesting tomorrow.

Could they not do both? I.e. live and a recap video later? Then it would appeal to both. Maybe a logistical or financial issue perhaps.

Quite tricky to keep track of the scores as the WWS website isn’t updated regularly (and trick prelim results still aren’t). We’ll just have to rely on Return to Baseline and Instagram 😬

• Baller
10 hours ago, whitem71 said:

Could they not do both? I.e. live and a recap video later? Then it would appeal to both. Maybe a logistical or financial issue perhaps.

Quite tricky to keep track of the scores as the WWS website isn’t updated regularly (and trick prelim results still aren’t). We’ll just have to rely on Return to Baseline and Instagram 😬

I believe the plan is to do both for some of the later stops. But you're right, everything is tradeoff between production budgets and skier prize money. They've made the call to prioritize funding the skiers, the on-site crowd experience, and then do something different and (hopefully) really cool with the event footage. I don't know what the best approach is, but like the idea of trying something different. Once the video is out, would love everyone's feedback!

I was admittedly asleep (West Coast time) when the event was live, but had no issue accessing the scores after the fact on the WWS event page.

• Thanks 1

• Baller

Recap video is up on Youtube, hope you enjoy!

This is a TON more work than simply cutting up clips from a live webcast, but hopefully the result is a much more coherent and engaging product. We tried to use the old ESPN Pro Tour videos as our model, still plenty of room for improvement, but I think this turned out really well.

I'm about as die hard a waterski fan as there is, but even I don't have the time to watch multiple day 10-hour webcasts. I think it would be awesome if every event did a recap like this. Imagine a TWBC produced recap of a pro slalom event, even the 'abolish slalom' guy might watch that...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1