2002-2005 SN 196 - Boat talk, advice and upgrades/updates

SportSki

• Baller

Just looking at adding a different ski tug to the fleet. I am looking for opinions and costing out a few things on what people have had to replace/repair. They seem to be a desirable model as people keep them for hundreds or thousands of hours. There are many discussions on the hull changes (we know it skis very well so not up for debate.) But not so many forum discussions about this gen of boats themselves. We free ski as a family and I ski the course a bit but do not compete. I would prefer any of the next generations for the obvious reasons but this one is in the price point for us. 

The Boat I am looking at is a 2003 SN196 Signature and has 950 hours.  Excaliber 330 - Boat is well used by 2 caring owners and good maintenance intervals. New water pump and impeller, steering cable, blower, Speed Control solenoid, great trailer. It is in good shape other than interior upholstery - carpet is still good. It has a tower but that will be ther first thing to come off!!! My purchase price would be around 12k USD

I am curios as to what people have got for hours out of this specific generations of boats and what upgrades they have done. There are a few on Ski it Again. - But seem to be pretty high price points for Canada here.

All these items I have thought may take some cash are  rough Prices in USD That I have looked up. 

Things I would want to do in the future

-Full Nautique replacement upholstery skins - $5500 Plus install - Open to hear about other aftermarket more affordable options.

-PCM80 Transmission upgrade (when needed but may bring one in so its ready to go) $6k plus install

-Need to add some mooring Pop up cleats - Not a major thing. - 75$ per from Nautique 

-Mooring cover solutions - Open to suggestions - only has a storage tarp and Bimini with windscreen clears.

-Stereo is due to be replaced. - Pretty minor

-Stargazer upgrade - $1500

Concerns :

Hours are getting up there but not too bad. 

We are coming out of a mint boat to an older one for now - Mental distress?!?!?

I could put a lot of money into it which is great if I keep it but eventually would like to get into a Ski 200 or Ski Nautique once the kids are older.

196IMG_8293.jpg

• Baller

Transmission...but  the old one could be good for another 2k hours or fail tomorrow. 1000 hrs is nothing on those boats and the 330 is solid as rock.I just had all the vinyls replace with quality marine stuff that i bought myself and found a great lady who do this in her basement. She was doing a complete interior of a 57 Cadillac when i brought her my stuff and i could see her quality work.Just have to find the right person. Was less then 2k for me (not a 196 but an older MC,didn't do the rear seat as it's been sitting in the shed for 22 years!).Rest of your list are easy items to check.

Edit: And for 12k,i would jump on that boat if it's the one in the pix.

Transmission

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Parts_Motor&postid=70434

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I just bought a 2005 with 730 hours on it for $21.5k and feel like this was in the current "market value" range and not a truly fantastic deal that you appear to have before you. I had previously found a couple others that were priced very competitively but they sold pretty quickly to other buyers who were able to get to those boats before me.  There are some on SIA with lower hours and lower priced than mine, but over 2500 miles away from me. Looks like you have an amazing deal right there in front of you, so don't hesitate.

• Baller

My 2006 had been rode hard, but well maintained. New tranny at 2300 hours, new engine at 2500 hrs. You got a long way to go. That looks like a great buy. The tower would have been a $2k option. 

• Like 1

• Baller

He listed at 19.5 and willing to go to 16.5?  Man... If that was in Ontario. You should absolutely buy that, even if it needs new vinyl, especially if you have younger kids. What a perfect first boat. And honestly, I would keep the tower on. I know as skiers we are all poopoo about towers, but with kids they are extremely useful and really help widen the scope of use for the boat. 

• Baller

At 950 hours are we really thinking the transmission swap is going to be needed before 5 years at 100 hours per year?  It's the kind of thing I would keep in the back of my mind but not the kind of thing that needs to be immediate. At the price this boat is at even with the work needed, I don't think you'll find a much better deal. 

• Baller

The most common thing from what I've seen that kills the transmission, is to have a seal start leaking and then it being run with low fluid. They do just die otherwise sometimes, but having a habit of checking the fluid level regularly, such as at every oil change, definitely will increase the likelihood of a longer life. 

• Baller
On 7/31/2024 at 1:22 PM, SportSki said:

Picked it up! May remove the rear hard tank for some more space  - has anyone done this?

Congrats on the boat!

Rear hard tank ???

• Like 1

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

I have the half tank in mine. It’s nice for trick or wakeboard wake. The wake is sensitive to left/right weight so I keep a lead bag to move around. Upgraded to electric solenoid valves, the cable valve would never shut fully and the tank would fill while skiing. We have an 02 with the Ford Gt40. Honestly a great boat especially for a rec skier. Sounds like yours has been well cared for and maintained. Good looking boat. 

• Baller
19 hours ago, nautique1228 said:

I have the half tank in mine. It’s nice for trick or wakeboard wake. The wake is sensitive to left/right weight so I keep a lead bag to move around. Upgraded to electric solenoid valves, the cable valve would never shut fully and the tank would fill while skiing. We have an 02 with the Ford Gt40. Honestly a great boat especially for a rec skier. Sounds like yours has been well cared for and maintained. Good looking boat. 

Can you tell me about the Half Tank?  And how to tell the difference? Ultimately I think I will take it all out as we dont trick or wake board.

I will be getting a lead bag as well as I am learning about its weight distribution sensitivities. 

Stargazer/Zbox is going in next week!

• Like 1

• Baller

The “Trick tank” is half the storage locker. I still have maybe 10” of store space in there. A ski would fit on its side, except biding always ends up in the center and it’s too narrow. If I remember correctly it was like 150lbs. The full tank takes up pretty much the whole space and was 300lbs. Just going off memory so don’t quote me on that. 

I would start with the latest stargazer update and see how you like that. The Zbox seems debatable on whether it’s worth it or not. If your not a tournament skier I wouldn’t waste your $$

• Baller

I recently purchased a 2005 196 LE and have been doing some reading to try to learn about this model -- particularly how to best maintain it for trouble-free use in the years to come. One thing that appears to be an issue for these boats is the Faria gateway and gauges. Apparently, even though the gauges look analog they are digital and all the inputs go through the gateway, including the speedo tubes that use water pressure to measure speed. It sounds like many people have experienced failed connections inside the gateway box and the speedo tubes fill up the box with water and ruin the circuit board, resulting in all gauges not working. I will therefore be plugging my speedo pitot holes or disconnecting the tubes to keep water from being forced up into the gateway box -- this will cause me to lose the speedometer speed reading, but I don't use that anyway since I have PP Stargazer. Most people seem to suggest pulling the tubes out of the gateway box, but if it is sealed I would have to break that seal and I guess re-seal it afterwards. Wouldn't it be enough to disconnect the tubes on the outside of the boat and plug those tubes?

Should I do anything else besides standard maintenance to keep this boat working effectively for many years?

• Baller

I have a 2004 Nautique 206 - I have disconnected the pitot tubes from the gateway and plugged them with a golf tee.  I also have Stargazer - haven't looked back - don't miss the speedo at all.  Every once in a blue moon I glance at the speedo and think "oh ya, that isn't going to work" - and then I smile that I'm in my boat. 🙂 

• Baller

The hour meter in the tach will only go up to 999.9.

Those gateway guages will eventually fail, and Faria no longer supports either the guages or gateway box. Fortunately,  Ron Tennis at TRD in Louisiana has a great conversion kit to analog with new wiring harness and new guages. The master plug for the analog guages is already behind the dash. So, it's plug and play.  You have a very good boat there.

• Like 1

• Baller
7 minutes ago, chaloux said:

I see it's listed again, you didn't buy it? 

I did get it!!! Its been doin its job here most morning!!!!! - But the one I have been waiting to come up for sale came up this week and for a fair price. Its the same year but red and has only 300 hours on it. So I am going to grab it and pass this on to some other baller...

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, SportSki said:

I did get it!!! Its been doin its job here most morning!!!!! - But the one I have been waiting to come up for sale came up this week and for a fair price. Its the same year but red and has only 300 hours on it. So I am going to grab it and pass this on to some other baller...

What’s the rest of the story? You’re talking on another thread about issues with it dying and not starting? 

• Baller

@ETskier I find it hard to believe that Correct Craft installs an hour meter that only goes up to 999.99. I have a 2009 Ski Nautique 196 . I am there. Very frustrating trying to track maintenance intervals. I honestly believe that the Factory should support the fix for this under warranty. Is there any way that I can see the actual hours without any special equipment?  Any body else out there have this problem? Thanks @ETskier for shedding some light on this.

• Baller

@gmut On my 2004 196 Limited, I simply wired the old style hour meter and mounted under the dash.  They look like the old VDO gauges from the past. Grainger has then for $35.  In addition to tracking the hours for oil changes, since I installed a new engine in the past, I record total engine hours, meter reading and hull hours on the oil filter.

Good luck and enjoy that 196.  May happy sets left at only 1000 hours!!

• Heterodox 1

• Baller

@aupatking

Ron Tanis makes the kits. He is very helpful.  Removal of the box is easy - it's what you do after the removal that's more fun 😜

I used a kit on a 2000 PS190 that was pretty easy because the gateway box was under the dash.  I think it's a little more complicated with the Nautique because of the gateway box being in the back and PP being integrated into it.

https://skiboatpartsonline.com/Inboard-Ski-Boat-Parts/TRD-Conversion-Kit-Medallion-MDC-1600-1/Faria-Gateway-Conversion-Kit-Correct-Craft-TRD-2001-CC

• Thanks 1

• Baller
On 8/15/2024 at 8:39 PM, Fam-man said:

What’s the rest of the story? You’re talking on another thread about issues with it dying and not starting? 

It would always start back up - I changed the fuel pump relays and it hasnt missed a beat since. I also have a low pressure fuel pump, new filters, and a new anti siphon valve sitting here ready to go - but have been skiing it almost every morning and it has been good now. I also wonder if there was some bad fuel invovled...... But I am not sure any more - have ran it roughly ten hours now since with no issues at all.