How long do aluminum boat lifts last?

• Baller

I am looking at purchasing an aluminum cantilever boat lift that is 23 years old and probably only been in a freshwater ski lake (12 months a year in a California ski lake that doesn't freeze). It has a 12v electric motor. Cables and pulleys were replaced in the last few years. I posed this question to Google and a few boat lift manufacturer sites came up with statements of their boat lifts lasting 25 years. I understand that cables and pulleys will need to be periodically replaced, but should I expect the aluminum boat lift structure itself to not last more than 25 years? 

• Administrators

they might need some maintenance at the the ends of the cantilever arms, but they should last longer than you do. at my old house the lift must have been 25 years old when I got there and then I used it for 10 more years and it was fine when I left

https://bastaboatlifts.com/

• Baller

Get it up on land and look at all the pivot points.  Check them for slop.  If those are good and the cables and pulleys are recently replaced, no reason it shouldn't go another 25 years.

• Like 1

• Baller

Ya know, I've always wondered this so THANKS for posting this. I live in Canada and have a HEWITT lift, I would never buy another one but.....It's a vertical lift and I let it freeze in every winter, they told me this is fine. It's not something that I am able to pull out every year and/or inspect. I honestly cringe every time I put my boat on it but so far no issues. I did have another lift years ago but one winter it developed a bunch of cracks at ice level so I began, after getting the aluminum welded up, pulling it out because I was able. My friend still uses that lift for his sailboat but pulls it out every year. It's probably 30 years old now with now issues. 

My piece of mind, I keep the boat insurance paid up!

• Baller

Had one (vertical not cantilever) in MN for 20 plus years.  Sits outside on shore all winter in the lake for summer.  Power unit but took it off in the winter.  Only maintenance I had was cables (and barn swallows trying to nest).  We had to go in/out each season so wheels were a must to get that thing up on the shore for winter.

I know tons of people with these in MN--typically just cables need replacing from time to time.

• Baller

What kills lifts is not being leveled.  If you get your lift nice and level it drastically reduces the wear and tear on the guide bushings, pulleys, cables, welds etc.  If you have one corner sitting low it forces everything out of wack and that's where you'll crack welds, wear bushings, and break cables.

Not a bad habit to keep a small level in the boat and periodically just toss it on the frame of the lift and check for settled corners.  On lifts that have screw jacks like a floe keep a ratchet and fine tune it.  With ones that just have holes and pins a high lift farm jack usually is the easiest way to deal with that through the season and you may want to buy some concrete pavers to help level it out.

• Like 1

• Baller_

30 years on my lift, gets pulled annually, fresh water.  They do require maintenance - cables, pulleys, bushings, bunks etc.  Stainless cables are a key v. galvanized.  

• Baller

I have dealt with dissimilar metal corrosion where stainless steel bolts go through the aluminum pieces.  The aluminum thins.  Several years ago, I started putting anode rods on the lift to take some of the beating.  I have had to replace some of the aluminum pieces.

• Baller

1985 Shorestation lift. Overhauled in 2007 with new pulleys clutch pads and bigger winch box drum. Replaced pulleys and cables again in 2017.  I change the winch cable every 5 seasons and put in all new lifting and leveling cables and stainless bolts 3 years ago.