Ways to prevent going to inside edge on off-side

• Baller

Hello - For years I've had a bad habit going to my inside edge too early and reaching inside.  This causes me to fall back on the tail of my ski and have a straight path into my 2/4.  I get away with it at 28, 32, 35 but at 38 it's killing me. 

I skied with Matt Rini years ago and he said try to hide your back shoulder from me goin out to 2/4/6. I liked that a lot and when I do it correctly it helps.  What are other ways you've been told how to achieve this? 

• Baller

Your issues sounds very similar to my bad habit going into my offside. I’m LFF and assume you are too? Also sounds like we are about at the same skill level. What seems to help me is making sure my inside hip doesn’t fall back or my hips don’t unwind. Keeping hips square to the ski coming off the wakes, like it’s said above. My shoulders follow my hips, so focusing on my hips works better for me. From there, “doing something” like driving inside hip and handle together to the ball keeps me over my feet.  This keeps me moving forward and not standing stagnant or falling back. 

Also at -38 if I’m not high enough on the boat into 1, I’m forced to spike the load too much and then get unloaded into 2 too aggressively. At that point, I can’t physically keep my hips and straight line into 2. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I struggle with same but it's killing me at 32 and 35. I'm here to follow this thread more than anything. Some things that help me.

- think, Push the handle down past the hip thru CL.  It doesn't actually happen but it helps to keep that connection with out pulling or leaning to do so, and keeps your hips advancing.

- look all the way to the end of the lake from wake to ball,  then look to the next buoy. If I'm coming into 1, i wanna see 5 and the end of the lake.

- keep elbows on vest as long as possible, when it's time to reach, reach down.   watch this video beginning at 20mins. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Ugh 38 will make you pay!

More mental here: relax about the pass--it's easy to get too amped at 38.  When we get amped, we get anxious, we get tunnel vision, and we are more likely to anticipate that next buoy too soon and give up the handle in anticipation.  After you run 35 and shorten up, think about how it's just another pass and stay chill--as opposed to ok, now it's 38, game-on, "get up" kind of thing.  You got this.

Do you have a bad-ass onside turn?       

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, 6balls said:

Do you have a bad-ass onside turn?     

Myself, I tend to have this problem especially going into onside turn.

I like your advice to chill as the rope gets shorter. 

• Elite Skier

This goes hand in hand with what Rini told you with the hiding that shoulder, but without seeing video I'd say make sure that your lower body is coming with you. If that inside hip (closest to the boat) is behind you won't be able to move out how you want too. You will always end up inside since you're not over your feet. Also just slow that process down; don't be in a rush to get to your apex, ride that swing up all the way up. 

• Like 6

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi - if I’m not mistaken this is the technique you described to me a few years ago.  I’m still struggling to accomplish this task. However - for some reason this season the concept has made more sense now than ever before. Case in point - coming into my offside turn (harder passes) I tend to sit back a bit in the turn (not because I want to, it is just a reaction I have). If I could only stay more centered on the ski I’d have a lot more success and consistency.  The tipping point for me seems to be between 28 and 32 off.  Also when I am skiing faster (34) it only accentuates my problems. 
Anyone have success in fixing this or at least made strides to correct this?

• Baller

Think I’m making strides 🤷‍♂️ Most of us will not take a few steps backwards to get rewarded with several steps forward down the road. We tend to go back to our comfortable bad habits that only take us to our maxed out dead ends. And some of those dead ends are into 38 off and shorter .

You cannot get your inside hip forward through the edge change and into the turn if you are squatting and on the back foot into the wakes. It’s an impossible move to do in that position because of the forces created by poor body position. It all starts with a tall , hips forward position before your cut out. You will feel much weaker and vulnerable for a while because the proper ski position feels unsafe compared to your back foot heavy defensive position. When you are skiing you are the offense ! Inside hip forward keeps your weight over your feet as Cole stated above. That’s how skis are designed to be ridden.  I’ve tried the flex the ankles , push the knees  , with no success. Without proper stance , it doesn’t work. Proper stance puts the handle at your hips where all the magic begins. Just try moving your back hip forwards and backwards when you are following the boat after your start. You will feel gas , brakes , gas , brakes. 

• Elite Skier

Building on what @rawly said. It will be very very hard to move that inside hip out and up off the 2nd wake if you're back on your ski. Being over our feet (stance on our ski), having enough angle and speed into the 1st wake all translate to be able to start making that lower body move. Without those things its next to impossible. Our sport is all cause and effect. Usually if you can't implement a move you want you have to back up to the previous turn or even the gate and think do I have the above things happening...stance, angle, speed. Those are your checks and balances. 

• Like 2

• Baller

@ColeGiacopuzzi , do you even think about your hips at your level ? You are so good at skiing tall and connected. One thing that I have noticed is that The Boys on Spraymakers rarely talk about this hip movement. They barely touch on it and talk how the movement is automatic if the proceeding steps are done correctly. @TFIN was starting to talk about his inside hip in one episode that I recall , but skimmed over it and went on pretty quickly as if it’s something he doesn’t even think about. He talks of his inside hip occupying a space but doesn’t speak of advancing it. For those of us trying to learn it , walking us through what your hips are doing from the cut out through 2 ball would be cool. I’m starting to comprehend it now , but many of us could use that information. 

• Like 1

• Elite Skier

@TFIN might chime in here, but The reason it’s not a central topic in spraymakers is it’s a byproduct of standing on your ski correctly. That’s why they talk about stance a lot more; much more important and is a key fundamental. You can’t have one without the other. 

The more balanced on our ski we are the more automatic it will be since we’re in a taller position on our ski. Not saying I don’t think about it, but it’s not one of my keys at the moment. 

• Like 3