MasterCraft Outboard?

JDskiNECA

• Baller

I was up on the Columbia River over the 4 of July 2024 doing some wake surfing out of Hood River OR. The below picture went by. I have never seen an outboard MasterCraft so I snapped a photo.

IMG_9329.jpg

• Baller

ProStar 200: 1987-1991

Barefoot 200: 1991-1996

PowerStar 200: 1997-1999

The ProStar 200 was the same hull as the late 80s ProStar 190. At that time many of the boats used for jump at ProTour stops and other events used outboards for power.

The Barefoot 200 featured a unique hull purposely designed for bare footing. The hull came to a pad at the rear instead of a flat-bottom ski boat hull. The Barefoot 200 also had a rear storage locker/sun pad.

The PowerStar 200 was an open bow outboard-powered boat designed for barefooting.

MasterCraft made outboard boats in 1986 and potentially before, but it seems that these boats were put together for the ProTour or other Pro Tournaments.

•  
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
5 hours ago, Broussard said:

ProStar 200: 1987-1991

Barefoot 200: 1991-1996

PowerStar 200: 1997-1999

The ProStar 200 was the same hull as the late 80s ProStar 190. At that time many of the boats used for jump at ProTour stops and other events used outboards for power.

The Barefoot 200 featured a unique hull purposely designed for bare footing. The hull came to a pad at the rear instead of a flat-bottom ski boat hull. The Barefoot 200 also had a rear storage locker/sun pad.

The PowerStar 200 was an open bow outboard-powered boat designed for barefooting.

MasterCraft made outboard boats in 1986 and potentially before, but it seems that these boats were put together for the ProTour or other Pro Tournaments.

•  

Interesting, thanks for the information. The only barefoot boats I have seen or read about had GM 454s in them.

• Baller

@Broussard Great information! I see quite a few of these boats where I live. I did not know about the ProStar 200 though. There is one close by on a lake, but I didn’t know the difference between that and the Barefoot 200. I always think of Mike Seipel when I see these boats. And for the most part, they all still have the same Yamaha 200 on the back even to this day. 

• Baller

Sandals has now gone to the barefoot 200’s as the primary ski boat on their resorts.

we skied behind one last January in Negril, Jamaica.

they had a fleet of newer prostars, but once those were toast from constant usage, they switched to the outboard MC 200’s since it’s much easier to work on and get replacement parts for those motors.

what is annoying is you can’t set up on the swim platform before skiing.

IMG_1994.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Heterodox 1

• Baller

All of the outboard barefoot boats had great wakes.  From Centurion to Flightcraft to Sanger to Malibu.  They were great boats--not necessarily slalom course boats but they could hold their own there as well--not by todays standards but back in the day.  

• Like 1

• Baller
20 hours ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

I guest ski with a ski club out of San Diego they have 2 prostar outboards in the fleet. Great boat to ski behind very small soft wake. 

I have skied with that club a few times in Mission Bay. Nice boats. I guess they favor the outboards in part because the club makes trips to the Colorado River and they like to be able to get the outboard all the way out of the water and beach the boat. 

1 hour ago, FullFlavorPike said:

I have skied with that club a few times in Mission Bay. Nice boats. I guess they favor the outboards in part because the club makes trips to the Colorado River and they like to be able to get the outboard all the way out of the water and beach the boat. 

They don’t beach the boat on purpose! I’ve only been with them on the river trips it’s because lots of shallow spots and sand bars where they go. 

• Like 1

• Baller
23 hours ago, BoatyMcBoatFace said:

They don’t beach the boat on purpose! I’ve only been with them on the river trips it’s because lots of shallow spots and sand bars where they go. 

Oh right on. I thought they were doing beach camping and had to beach the boat overnight. I’ve never been to the River so maybe that doesn’t even make sense 😂