MB Boss 190 underrated boat?

• Baller

I ski periodically behind TSC1, TSC2 and 200 Nautiques along with my '97 MC Prostar 190. I prefer the -22 wakes behind the Nautiques and am in the market for a TSC hull boat -- hoping to buy one before the end of this season. However, yesterday I skied behind a 2002 MB Boss 190 and it was pretty sweet! I skied -15, -22 and -28 at 32mph and 34mph. I think the -15 wake was the smallest and/or softest of any boat I've skied behind and the -22 and -28 wakes were far better than my Prostar and maybe even equivalent to the Nautiques. I also pulled one of our other lake members at 30mph at -15 and -22 and she commented how amazing the wakes are for her (she owns a 200). Is there something about this boat that should keep it off my list or should I add it to my search for a new-to-me boat? Also, does anyone know what years had the same hull as the 2002?

• Like 2

• Baller

@TallSkinnyGuy you are not wrong that boat was really well made and as long as the signature MB trunk isn't loaded down with gear it has super small wakes.  I have also heard it was a tweaked 90's MC hull but not sure, it does has some spray when you get to shorter lines and tracking wasn't the best but a good driver could handle it just fine.

• Baller
24 minutes ago, TallSkinnyGuy said:

I ski periodically behind TSC1, TSC2 and 200 Nautiques along with my '97 MC Prostar 190. I prefer the -22 wakes behind the Nautiques and am in the market for a TSC hull boat -- hoping to buy one before the end of this season. However, yesterday I skied behind a 2002 MB Boss 190 and it was pretty sweet! I skied -15, -22 and -28 at 32mph and 34mph. I think the -15 wake was the smallest and/or softest of any boat I've skied behind and the -22 and -28 wakes were far better than my Prostar and maybe even equivalent to the Nautiques. I also pulled one of our other lake members at 30mph at -15 and -22 and she commented how amazing the wakes are for her (she owns a 200). Is there something about this boat that should keep it off my list or should I add it to my search for a new-to-me boat? Also, does anyone know what years had the same hull as the 2002?

I'm having those vague recollections of MB using the old 91-94 MC hull that everybody loved so much?  

Can somebody verify?  

• Baller
3 minutes ago, FullFlavorPike said:

What did they build the stringers, transom, and floors out of? Wood or composite? That would be the thing I’d want to know first. 

Apparently, according to this, not wood (somebody selling their '94 on Craigslist posted this in their ad):

image.png

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, escmanaze said:

I'm having those vague recollections of MB using the old 91-94 MC hull that everybody loved so much?  

Can somebody verify?  

That's atleast the conventional talking point was that when MC shifted to the new hull in 95 that the old one was sold to Mike Brendel (Ski Brendella) and was the basis for that boat.  Now I'm certain MC didn't allow MB to market that fact and I've not seen it written down by anyone in authority to do so but they do look and ski very similar.

As something to keep in mind though is that the molds that are used to make boats are a living/breathing wear item.  The molds can warp and distort, they can and do wear as the boats are removed and for things like ski boats where you're not making a ton these aren't solid tool steel mold used 100,000 times, often times a mold for a ski boat would be you modify a hull with bondo and screw things to it, it worked well so you strip it down someone feathers in those modifications and then you spray it down with release agent and build an inside out hull around it.  Brace that well enough so it doesn't warp and pop the model out of it and voile - new mold.  Make one boat, that one worked well duplicate it as a second mold and you're off to production.  Ideally you keep that one as a standard and you go back to it to prevent drift over the run but not always.

I say this to imply that even if MB boats were a 1994 prostar hull mold through the run of the product nothing is going to be identical the whole time and not saying that's a good or a bad thing its just a thing.

• Like 2

• Baller

1997 MB Boss 190 owner, here. We love our boat!

It skis beautifully. Super lightweight + GT40 motor means lots of jam. It tows behind the truck like it's not even there. And it's small, nimble, and easy to drive. That makes my wife happy, which makes me happy!

20240630_111924.jpg

• Like 3

• Baller
2 hours ago, TallSkinnyGuy said:

I've had mine (2002 190 Plus) for over 20 years and the wakes and build quality are excellent. I usually ski @32 off/34mph and the wake  compares or exceeds any other boat in our club (2007 Response, 1996 ProStar, 2004 Sammy Duvall ProStar, 1991 Ski Nautique).

1100 hours on mine and it honestly drives like a new boat.

I believe the 5.0 was the base motor. If you get the 5.7L, you'll have excellent hole shots.

• Baller
21 hours ago, Drago said:

MB with Accuski... butter. Great boats

I believe MB was one of the very few makers to offer Accuski factory installed in the early 2000s.