2024 Oxfordshire ProAm - July 12-13th webcast

• Administrators

image.jpeg

2024 Oxfordshire ProAm - July 12-13th 

• Like 1

• Baller
3 hours ago, Cooper_Trelawney said:

Dark horse in the running...Arron Davies ran -39 in both rounds so far and is seeded 3rd for the finals.  He's been around the SCR for a while, skiing at ULL and coaching at Bennett's.  Solid guy.

This event is anyone’s game at this point but to say Arron ran 39 both rounds is a bit of a stretch… but you be the judge.

photos are round 2, 5 ball @ 39

IMG_1374.png

IMG_1375.png

• Baller

Congrats to Manon and Cory.  Great skiing in tough conditions!!  So happy for both of them!!!  As usual, the webcast was great.  I have to shout out the good doctor's dock side interviews, she was, by far the best.  Also loved Cory's color commentating.  

• Like 2

• Baller

It was weird having the tournament allow cheating the entry gates for the night finals. I was wondering if many of the skiers taking advantage of this rule actually ended up hurting their score by doing so? Was the advantage gained by cheating the gates lost by changing the timing the skiers have established through repetition?

• Baller

Not counting the gates isn’t cheating, but a concession to facilitate skiing at night, which the skiers voted on.  It is difficult for skiers to visialize the gates in the dark and nearly impossible for the officials judge.   

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

• Elite Skier
18 hours ago, Fastguy888 said:

It was weird having the tournament allow cheating the entry gates for the night finals. I was wondering if many of the skiers taking advantage of this rule actually ended up hurting their score by doing so? Was the advantage gained by cheating the gates lost by changing the timing the skiers have established through repetition?

This is actually not a new thing for tournaments. At Moomba and the last World Games they allow you to miss provided your ski makes contact or you go over some portion of the right hand gate ball due to the insane amount of backwash at both events. From talking with several people you could not see anything at all on the gates. So the finals would have been much less interesting if they had counted gates

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Thanks for the insights @Cooleo15 I didn't know this was a thing. @JackQ to clarify I didn't think they were cheating against the rules, just my poorly chosen figure of speech to indicate "coming inside a line" as used in other sports. Seeing this was inspiring for me, as I recently started "cheating" the gates to get through a slump in my progression after listening to a Spraymakers episode, then to see it done in a tournament surprised me. 

• Elite Skier
On 7/15/2024 at 11:52 PM, Fastguy888 said:

Less cheating, more like we couldn’t really see them to go through them 😆

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Baller

Does anybody think that skiing a course at night is ludicrous? I mean it's tough enough in the daylight. Whats the attraction, if the skiers can't see, what do the spectators on shore see? There is a reason that night baseball and football games are played under the lights. But you never know till you try it.

Ernie Schlager

• Baller

@NoahVieke

I don't think those 2 pics tell the story. The 1st makes it look possible that the front boot cleared the buoy. The 2nd pic is useless, boot has already gone past the buoy.

Need a pic in between those 2, if there is one, or slow mo video, which might still leave it at a tough call.

Also, those stills don't show if the buoy was displaced much.  Apparently, judges determine it was cleared and not signifcantly displaced.

• Baller
4 hours ago, Zman said:

@NoahVieke

I don't think those 2 pics tell the story. The 1st makes it look possible that the front boot cleared the buoy. The 2nd pic is useless, boot has already gone past the buoy.

Need a pic in between those 2, if there is one, or slow mo video, which might still leave it at a tough call.

Also, those stills don't show if the buoy was displaced much.  Apparently, judges determine it was cleared and not signifcantly displaced.

I did have it in slow mo.  The second picture is literally the next frame.  The buoy is not visible because he didn’t go around it, the ski is blocking the buoy from view.  Simple as that.

ultimately there is no point in arguing bc it made zero difference in the outcome of the event and you cannot go change it but our sport has to do better.  It was an obvious call when it was live, it was obvious when it was replayed and it’s obvious now.  

im fairly certain the majority of events do not use twbc video to help judges make a call.  This case I believe it would have helped.  If an event has this amazing resource available to them with high def, slomo replays that have multiple camera angles why not use it?

this goes back to the masters argument.  If twbc were running the webcast but the event doesn’t utilize the footage from twbc to make the call when it’s reeaaallly controversial, is anything going to change?

• Like 1

• Baller

@NoahViekeI can not speak for all the TWBC broadcasted events. But I have been a judge at a handful of them as, Tower, Boat and Video Review Judge. At all of them, TWBC video was utilized for any reviews of questionable, disputed or “hard to judge” situations.  In a number of cases the determination without TWBC’s  high quality, high frame rate video would have been difficult if not impossible. 

• Like 1

• Baller
40 minutes ago, JackQ said:

@NoahViekeI can not speak for all the TWBC broadcasted events. But I have been a judge at a handful of them as, Tower, Boat and Video Review Judge. At all of them, TWBC video was utilized for any reviews of questionable, disputed or “hard to judge” situations.  In a number of cases the determination without TWBC’s  high quality, high frame rate video would have been difficult if not impossible. 

That’s fantastic and I’m honestly glad to hear that.  I know that is not always the case.  

I don’t have first hand knowledge of if Ox Pro used it or not but I would be led to believe they didn’t based on this call of AD.  

@Zman how many more frames would satisfy you?

We have all watched a lot of slalom… some more than others.  I’ve never seen a situation where the skier was outside the buoy that the buoy wasn’t visible and I’ve also never seen a situation where the skier rode over the ball without either a ski “jump” or break in the spray pattern.  Neither of those things happened here 

IMG_1404.png

IMG_1406.png

IMG_1409.png

IMG_1412.png

IMG_1416.png

IMG_1418.png

• Elite Skier
1 hour ago, NoahVieke said:

That’s fantastic and I’m honestly glad to hear that.  I know that is not always the case.  

I don’t have first hand knowledge of if Ox Pro used it or not but I would be led to believe they didn’t based on this call of AD.  

@Zman how many more frames would satisfy you?

We have all watched a lot of slalom… some more than others.  I’ve never seen a situation where the skier was outside the buoy that the buoy wasn’t visible and I’ve also never seen a situation where the skier rode over the ball without either a ski “jump” or break in the spray pattern.  Neither of those things happened here 

IMG_1404.png

IMG_1406.png

IMG_1409.png

IMG_1412.png

IMG_1416.png

IMG_1418.png

95% sure they were using TWBC. Human error is a big part of any sport at all levels. Even with millions on the line in bigger sports it can be easier to sport at home on the big screen than in the moment. One sip of tea or notification on the phone at the wrong time and the call is missed. Sometimes it swings your way sometimes it doesn’t… sucks but it’s the way it is 🤷‍♂️ until ai learns to spot bouys, mistakes will be made and there’s probably not much we can do about it.

• Like 3