How Does Foot Size Relate to Binding Placement

• Baller

Enjoying my 2024 68" Radar Vapor Pro that I did about 8 sets with the back of bindings set at 30-2/3" DFT as I could not hit the recommended 30-1/2 for long-shallow fin settings I wanted to try and get dialed without drilling new holes in the binding plate. I was getting a lot of porposing, mostly due to my lack of skills (22Off 34MPH); however moved them back closer to 30-1/5 DFT and ski feels much more stable and turns great. I am happy with this setting but it got me thinking:

I am 6'2" with size 12" feet running double Radar Vapor Hybrid Boots. I was hurting my few brain cells trying figure out why foot size wouldn't be a big factor in binding placement? When skiers squabble about incremental binding adjustments of 1/4" range but no one talking about a potential 3" difference in foot size?

• Baller

Size 14.  Following this thread... 

I always thought that seemed weird too.  If we're supposed to be on the balls of our feet, we're putting pressure further forward than someone with size 10s.  But maybe that's offset by our rear heels being so far back too.

• Like 2

• Baller

Your center of balance is your inside ankle bone, which is generally farther from your heel if you have large feet. I don't think "we're supposed to be on the balls of our feet", but that's a whole 'nother subject

• Like 1

• Baller

Skiers have different styles and performance levels.  Stock settings are probably pretty good for the masses.  Can forward or back be better for you?  Sure but if you don’t try it you will never know. Experiment with it.  Moving forward isn’t going to send you flying out the front nor will moving backwards, even  at the extremes of what the plates will allow.  Myself I’m size 12 and I routinely end up feeling best with bindings back 1/8- 1/4.   I only wish I had experimented sooner. 

• Thanks 1