2004 Ski Nautique 196 Hesitation out of the hole

Jaypro

• Baller

Hey Ballers, I was hoping you might be able to give me an idea as to what might be giving my boat hesitation out of the hole.  If I give it full throttle, it sort of sputters and hesitates until it gets to plane.  feels like 1/2 power?  If I give it a progressive throttle it hesitates much less.  It has the 330 Excalibur motor.  I changed the fuel filter and ran some seafoam through it, but it is still there.  Any thoughts?  Is there a fuel line filter I am missing, any other thoughts?

• Baller

There are two fuel filters on that engine. The large canister and a smaller filter that has a mesh basket.  My small filter is a pain to service. 

Even with clean filters, I sometimes get a vapor lock hesitation after the engine is hot and is turned off for a while. It’s only momentary and returns to normal operation right away. 

• Like 1

• Baller

How long has it been since the distributor cap and rotor have been changed? If not within the last 300 hours, start with that. Very common area that causes issues on the 5.7L GM engines if neglected. 

• Like 7

• Baller

Triple what jpwhit said.

But for all those hesitation problems,putting a gauge on fuel pressure is a good thing to do.

• Like 2

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

As others have stated, but check the D-cap/rotor first as it's the quickest and easiest, then check low pressure fuel filter, which is sometimes a PITA to do.

• Like 2

• Baller

I found that changing both filters annually make the FCC filter much easier to do than those that have not been changed. It is still a PITA to drain the fuel from the canister, but the pain is less. 

• Baller_

Following ..same with my GT40 and it seems to be intermittent. Can have an entire set no issues. But does seem to follow the “does it more when warm” 2nd or 3rd set with little down time.