D3 NRG R3 or NEO2

• Baller

Hi all, just had a D3 NRG crack between the bindings - randomly after not hitting anything and being stored out of the sun etc. - so now looking for a new D3 ski!

I've scanned the Forum to read up on any differences, but wanted to hear if anyone had some updated information on the NEO2 (ideally compared to the NRG R3).

Currently skiing 30-32mph and occasionally clearing 32' off; I'm 188lbs and 6'1" - on a 67". Love the stability of the NRG and offside turn - just seeking some more experienced skiers to chime in on recommendations between the two.

Also, are the D3 Factory Test Skis worth considering (great price!)?

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Happy 4th July :-)

• Baller

@Torch I recently did that exact change. Coming from the Ion2 that I liked but wanted something little more glued to the water. Started the season with the R3 that felt good but my consistency was all over the place. Equalled my PB on R3, but more often than not ended up swimming around bouys. Switched from R3 to Neo2 and got my consistency back. For me it feels like the Ion2, except for more glued to the water, tighter turns but a little slower. I have to work a little harder behind the boat but that thats made up by a more secure feeling that gives confidence. I have not adapted completely yet, but I know this is the ski for me. I know the R3 is a really good ski and works extremely well for some, but it did not work for me unfortunately. For me the Neo2 is a keeper. Hope this helps

• Baller

Completely agree with @jnan66 excellent performance on the R3, but difficult to be consistent.  A coach said to me, you need to stay up and riding to work on improving.  The R3 is quick across course, little effort required.  Turns are tight and quick. However, the aggressive front bevel dumps you into the bouy if you get too forward or heavy on the front.  It's the exact opposite of what you would expect from the wider profile. 

I'm considering trying the NEO 2, but keep hearing all the same things about work behind the boat for us older guys at 34mph.  Look forward to hearing your results if you go for the NEO2.

• Baller

@jnan66 & @terryg Guys, I really appreciate your insights and thanks for posting!

Thinking I might trial the NEO2, as I don't love being dumped at the bouys 😁

• Baller
13 hours ago, terryg said:

Completely agree with @jnan66 excellent performance on the R3, but difficult to be consistent.  A coach said to me, you need to stay up and riding to work on improving.  The R3 is quick across course, little effort required.  Turns are tight and quick. However, the aggressive front bevel dumps you into the bouy if you get too forward or heavy on the front.  It's the exact opposite of what you would expect from the wider profile. 

I'm considering trying the NEO 2, but keep hearing all the same things about work behind the boat for us older guys at 34mph.  Look forward to hearing your results if you go for the NEO2.

Interesting comment about the Neo requiring work behind the boat. I currently ski on a 67 Neo but was on 67 XTR. I feel like this Neo is much less work behind the boat. I liked my Goode and skied on them for years. Never tried the NRG, I would be interested in any ski that requires less effort behind the boat at34.

• Baller

I’ve wanted to ask for a while and feel this is a good place to, but what are the different philosophies of the three D3 skis? HO does a good job separating the 01 and 02 philosophies and I feel I just don’t know the differences in the D3 skis as well. I’m currently on an Ion(my first competitive ski) that I bought used without much research other than I saw pros using it, so id love to know more about the D3 line.  

• Baller
On 7/6/2024 at 12:00 AM, FisherNick13 said:

I’ve wanted to ask for a while and feel this is a good place to, but what are the different philosophies of the three D3 skis? HO does a good job separating the 01 and 02 philosophies and I feel I just don’t know the differences in the D3 skis as well. I’m currently on an Ion(my first competitive ski) that I bought used without much research other than I saw pros using it, so id love to know more about the D3 line.  

I think D3 has a pretty good description, followed by bullet point features, on their website, for each of the three models. If you still have questions, I’d  recommend talking with Terry Winter. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

I rode the R2 last year and am on the Neo this year.

The biggest difference I feel is the R2 was very stable and predictable in the turns but was a little slow getting cross course where as the Neo is a little looser in the turns so you need to be more patient and real strong from edge change to buoy but has no problem generating cross course speed 

• Baller

I am with ISP6ball on the demo program. I demoed the NEO in two sizes since I am on the bubble. After the skis showed up I got a text from Terry Winter asking if I needed help with set up. Terry was amazing in answering my questions and everyone back at the factory made the process easy.

• Like 1

• Baller

Thanks to everyone who has answered the questions.

I spoke with Terry and am trialing both the R3 and NEO2 - hoping one will be definitively 'better' for me.

I'll post my thoughts after I have tested them for a week or so.

• Like 3

• Baller
2 hours ago, Torch said:

Thanks to everyone who has answered the questions.

I spoke with Terry and am trialing both the R3 and NEO2 - hoping one will be definitively 'better' for me.

I'll post my thoughts after I have tested them for a week or so.

Those are the two that I demoed last summer. I had been on an Ion-S since August 2020. I liked both skis, but ultimately chose the Neo 2. No regrets! 

Enjoy your testing!