Denali C95 review has started

• Baller

@Adam Caldwell I made this in 2008 after talking to Remi at Miami Nautique used it until last year when I changed to a "genuine" R Style which I don't really feel comfortable in, think I will change back to my old one, I did use a heat gun to modify the R Style but like you say I would have been better off cutting it down.

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Industry Professional
Posted (edited)

@Cam yeah that sounds about right!  lol.  Once you have had a setup that allows a ski to move properly on its own, its extremely evident when you bolt something on top of it that just hinders a lot of the natural movement. 

When I get on excessively stiff bindings it feels like I'm trying to run an obstacle course with casts on both ankles.  "leverage" is how they've sold everyone on these things.  But that is only a small part of the equation in my book.  

A solid connection between the bottom of the foot and the top of the ski is what we need.  Not a solid connection from our shin bone to the ski.

@BGrow76

I've yet to ski in them, but I have looked at them and put them on. I think Radar did an excellent job of making those to be able to run in a double boot configuration without too much issue. With the toe-box being basically three pieces, the overall shell is not all that stiff and can allow the shin to move laterally independently of the ball of the foot pretty well .  They are much softer/more pliable then the reflex.  

If some one comes to Trophy lakes with a pair thats LFF I am definitely going to be taking a ride just to see.  

Edited by Adam Caldwell
  • Like 5

• Baller

I run the second newest gen Vapor carbitex double boot on my C85. I just loop the rear elastic and tighten the BOA until there's no slack. I've been running double boots since I started so it's just a familiarity thing, but I am curious about going to a new gen Vapor front and some sort of RTP on the rear. I'm not sure I want a hard front boot... But I would love to try different setups out to see how they feel. 

I'm surprised your biggest concern is lateral movement and not medial, but reading what you've written it makes sense. 

• Industry Professional

@chaloux, I want the shin to be able to move laterally relative to the ski, but yes, the foot does need medial movement to allow shin (and knee) to move forward.

The greatest generalization I can make with boots is that as long as the front boot has more control over the ski than the rear foot, then the setup should work.  . When you end up with a rear binding that is more restrictive then your font, I think you run into a lot of undesirable dynamics.  I also am a believer that as the control of the ski is biased more in favor of the front foot, the better.

• Like 4

• Industry Professional

@mbabiash - No. It all comes back to ski setup.    Throw me a ski and tell me I need my feet touching, Ill probably move the fin forward and shorter  and the front boots back from stock.  Spread them 13.5" apart and Ill probably move my front boot forward and pull the fin back and longer.

Its just about managing ski attitude, tip pressure and ski rotation.   Anything is possible.

• Like 2