Thoughts on the Radar Session Or HO Hovercraft for a Fun Family Boom Stick!

• Baller

Looking for a "boat ski" and have basically landed on these two unless anyone can comment on any others.  Radar Session 67 or Hovercraft

For us we want a spare ski for:

- the wife to learn to slalom on and cruise "as slow as possible"  - She has accomplished getting up on two and thinks its stupid  and wants to slalom - ("insert fist pump here") - 

- My 65 Year old Father to not worry about injuring himself getting up on one as he has his whole life (weekend warrior freeskier) - and also just cruising around. He currently gets up on two and rides my senate pro 67 or an Connelly outlaw but kicks a ski off in the first 20 yards. He would like to learn the course but again and get up on one but this will be sub 28mph more than likely. 

- Both are 140-180 pound range individual - The wife being near the bottom and pops being near the top of that scale. - both will rock an RTP - which I have a radar front boot and RTP for whatever we land one.

- Budget is important but want to get them out and comfortable

- I will likely mess around free skiing with it when the water is sub par.

Leaning towards a 67 Session but could be convinced otherwise as the Hovercraft looks fun for us others that want to mess around too, Or maybe keep them on the older Outlaw for now? Open to suggestions

Not sure if the Radar bindings will fit on the Older Hovercraft models,  if we could find a used one. Perhaps someone can comment. 

Not sure what size would be best on the Hovercraft either - I am guessing 67?

WE have rode the Big Daddy as well as a 71 Butterknife - Both good for our bigger buddies but I don't think they are the answer for these two.  I wouldn't be opposed to a 67 Butterknife though as it was alot of fun!

Looking forward to hear your thoughts!

• Baller

Session will go further in course training than the Hovercraft.  Terrain would even be better.  I have a Terrain I like to mess around on when I'm tired, and it's a hoot.

• Like 1

• Baller

Hovercraft for sure! We've got one for experienced skiers to play around on (jumping wake to wake, slashing wake surfer style, slowest full course pass, etc etc) and for absolute begineers (have ditched the combos pair). They're such fun skis.

We got the medium size (65") with the smallest binding it came with and then brought a used large binding that does size 8-14 feet so now it can be used by anyone in boat. Have had 250lb guy on it and towed him at 22mph rather than 18-20mph

• Like 1

• Baller

I bought a session this summer for my boat ski and it’s pretty fun. Just got my beginner friend through the slalom course on it. I’ve messed around on it and it’s a sweet ski for slow speed. I haven’t used a hovercraft, but I think the range of needs met on the session are far more.

• Baller
7 minutes ago, 03RLXi said:

Hovercraft for sure! We've got one for experienced skiers to play around on (jumping wake to wake, slashing wake surfer style, slowest full course pass, etc etc) and for absolute begineers (have ditched the combos pair). They're such fun skis.

We got the medium size (65") with the smallest binding it came with and then brought a used large binding that does size 8-14 feet so now it can be used by anyone in boat. Have had 250lb guy on it and towed him at 22mph rather than 18-20mph

So the 65 was still Sufficient eh?  The course will not be a prominent use for us - just for "takin a crack at it"  -  I am leaning the Hovercraft way if I can find a decent used one my radar bindings will fit on but its tough to wrap a guys head around this being a sideways wakeboard - if you know what I mean. 

• Baller

This is always a tough one to describe the HO Hovercraft is a slalom ski but its also not a slalom ski, it has a wood core you can grab the tip and bend it you can do things on a hovercraft that are very not slalomish like skid the tail around and it has more pop but it also can hold edges and do slalom ski things.  But it is a not a pure slalom ski.  Because it bends like that it doesn't act exactly like other slalom skis.

Its also wide front to back and has essentially the same side profiles as an HO Omni.

I choose hovercraft to screw around on but the Radar bent vee or its replacement for crossing wakes like a slalom ski I'd say if I'm not likely to ride the Radar myself but do ride my hovercrafts when I want a break.

• Baller

@BraceMaker is correct. Hovercraft is very flexy. Experienced skiers really feel it. Newbies would probably have no idea.

Do some google searches for videos of Hovercraft. There's a few of the course being run at very low speeds and short line passes, plus flips, huge jumps etc.  It is a FUN ski. It is not a PERFORMANCE ski.

The big binding I put on is a D3. Older Hovercrafts only had the central direct connect inserts. Don't get one of those 

• Like 1

• Baller

I have used both.  The hovercraft is an 18-20 mph ski.  I rode a 67 at this speed at around 220 lbs.  

I own a 69” session that I have given to my son.  But it could go down to 24 or even 22 no problem.   Almost as easy to get up on.   

• Like 1

• Baller

Somtimes either slalom spot or slalom boat is not accessible. Or there is a wish to relax in a good company of friends wakeboarders, sorry about that ))).But I am not ready to put on wakeborrd.

Question: is it possible to ski on Hovercraft behind wakeboard boat and still have fun ?

• Baller

Hovercraft for sure, it's my go-to fun & learner ski. You can ski behind anything and from 12mph upward, my wife skis at 18 on it, my son has surfed it, I've run 16m (-22) at 24/26mph, so it's a good all round ski.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

I believe so, though i don't have a wake boat

Both GF and i each have a hovercraft., one fun-sized like her, 65 setup with sm bindings, mine a 67 for std size feet. whomever shows up can get a ride, ive never seen so many contagious smiles

one can comply with the wake for a swift zing, or pop a little and land on the downslope like butter. its little like wakeboarding without all the knuckledragging

• Like 2

• Baller
5 hours ago, OldboyII said:

Question: is it possible to ski on Hovercraft behind wakeboard boat and still have fun ?

Yes - and pontoon boats or jet skis.

That's what is hard to convey in many ways, the Hovercraft is not necessarily a fat slalom ski for beginners it is more a wake ski.  Behind a pontoon boat with no wakes it is fun both to shorten the rope to 28 or 32 and it will force you to edge change at the wakes because it doesn't slow down very good but you can lay some specifically hard edges on the ski and make some turns the driver of the pontoon boat will hate you but it is a great ski for the purpose.

Behind a ski boat it is the easiest ski you will ever get up on.  If you're trying to teach someone you can easily one handed start and stabilize another skier.  If you use a trick handle you can easily do show ski style starts where the boat comes around you and you grab the braid and the driver goes.  But if you start speeding the boat up the hovercraft gets big and slippery.  I bought a 65" last summer and fully intend to try it this summer at higher boat speeds myself but on the 67 at ~185lb I don't like going much over 19/20 at which point ski boats have quite a bit of wake and I don't feel so inclined to do wake crossings on edge.

So for people who plan on slalom skiing its not a slalom ski.  For slalom skiers who want to screw around but don't wakeboard, or as a combo ski replacement it is excellent.  I don't think i'll be starting very many people on 2 skis ever again.

• Like 4

• Baller
7 hours ago, OldboyII said:

Somtimes either slalom spot or slalom boat is not accessible. Or there is a wish to relax in a good company of friends wakeboarders, sorry about that ))).But I am not ready to put on wakeborrd.

It looks like that is a Fun option for Slashing and jumping and playing around but it still needs to cross wakes well behind the ski boat for us - Not sure if it will. 

• Baller
15 minutes ago, SportSki said:

It looks like that is a Fun option for Slashing and jumping and playing around but it still needs to cross wakes well behind the ski boat for us - Not sure if it will. 

It's a full edge to edge concave, when you get it on edge its a rocket and crosses wakes well. 26mph is the most you can go on it, although for a fun ski that's fast enough.

When you start increasing speed and running the course on it (you can!) it gets a bit hairy at 24/26 and you need a shed load of transition time to slow the thing down. It will crank a good sharp turn, but you need spot on technique. If you're a muscle it round skier then it will bite you 10x over. I use it due to a number of injuries preventing "normal" slalom ski deepwater starts (grip, back & knees), it's as easy as a wakeboard to get up on.

• Like 2

• Baller
16 hours ago, OldboyII said:

Yes, would be able to do some epic jumps and wake slashing 

• Like 3

• Baller_
On 7/5/2024 at 4:48 AM, OldboyII said:

Two of my most favorite watersportsmen cant be wrong!

Almost convinced )))

Is there a travel bag for hovercraft?

Yes. The Hovercraft bag is shown on HO’s website. (I got the bag when I bought a Hovercraft, a few years ago.)

• Like 1

• Baller

So we banded together and got the Hovercraft and what a riot!! Had everyone just giggling all evening last night on the lake and this morning at 20-22MPH - the wife got up on one ski for the first time( she is not a skier at all) my old man is back to getting up on one (age 65), we were all just Jumping wakes and slashing. It is a bit like riding a scooter - it cant be done without smiling!!! 

Thanks to Shuswap Ski and Board!!!! Just a top notch team with good prices, passion, support and heaps of inventory!!!!  CHECK THEM OUT! 

IMG_0999.jpg

IMG_0997.jpg

• Like 7

• Baller
On 7/3/2024 at 8:39 AM, BraceMaker said:

Yes - and pontoon boats or jet skis.

That's what is hard to convey in many ways, the Hovercraft is not necessarily a fat slalom ski for beginners it is more a wake ski.  Behind a pontoon boat with no wakes it is fun both to shorten the rope to 28 or 32 and it will force you to edge change at the wakes because it doesn't slow down very good but you can lay some specifically hard edges on the ski and make some turns the driver of the pontoon boat will hate you but it is a great ski for the purpose.

Behind a ski boat it is the easiest ski you will ever get up on.  If you're trying to teach someone you can easily one handed start and stabilize another skier.  If you use a trick handle you can easily do show ski style starts where the boat comes around you and you grab the braid and the driver goes.  But if you start speeding the boat up the hovercraft gets big and slippery.  I bought a 65" last summer and fully intend to try it this summer at higher boat speeds myself but on the 67 at ~185lb I don't like going much over 19/20 at which point ski boats have quite a bit of wake and I don't feel so inclined to do wake crossings on edge.

So for people who plan on slalom skiing its not a slalom ski.  For slalom skiers who want to screw around but don't wakeboard, or as a combo ski replacement it is excellent.  I don't think i'll be starting very many people on 2 skis ever again.

I have a Hovercraft and thought about adding my 2 cents, but Bracemaker nailed it across the board!

@SportSki  what size hovercraft and boots did you end up getting. I'm debating this exact ski for the same purposes.  Not sure if I should get a 65 or 67". I am 5'9 185lbs but I think my kids (13 year old, 110 lbs, has been free skiing on a 65 TRA and is about to move up to a 65 women union and the 15 year old does swivel skiing) would like to be able to play around with it too. But predominantly I would be using it and I just started sking on a borrowed Connelly Big Daddy (coming from a wood show ski). I can get up on it but don't love the bindings and would like my own ski to play around with. Our water is sometimes glass and sometimes choppy and rough.  Down the line, I'm thinking of getting a radar session 69" but just want something to play around with for now. 

• Baller

@JaninaP I'm 185 6' and have 2 hovercrafts a 65 and a 67 and my normal slalom ski is a 67 HO Omega max and an HO Syndicate Omni also a 67.

I think you'd be fine on the 65 Hovercraft I've ridden it, I think the 67" is too much for someone who weighs 140 and the 65 isn't enough if you weigh 200.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

HO still lists the Syndicate Omni on their web page https://www.hosports.com/collections/skis but not sure if you can get them or not? @savaiusini If I have a new skier that is serious about learning how to slalom ski I think the Syndicate Omni is a great ski to start on, huge upside on the Syndicate Omni which is a very capable course ski through about 32' off. If I have someone that just wants to get up on a slalom ski the Hovercraft is nice.

• Baller

We have an old Radar Satori in the boat that gets a decent amount of use—my kids love how easy it is to get up and surf around. Those big soft skis makes oat chop much easier. I’ve not skied on the Hovercraft but we would definitely get something like that versus a Big Daddy or similar. We also have something like a Session which is pretty great—it is stiff enough to carve and pull. But not quite as easy and relaxing to ride. If you buy something and don’t like it, just sell it—the skis are relatively cheap when you look at boat ownership. 

• Baller
23 hours ago, JaninaP said:

@SportSki  what size hovercraft and boots did you end up getting. I'm debating this exact ski for the same purposes.  Not sure if I should get a 65 or 67". I am 5'9 185lbs but I think my kids (13 year old, 110 lbs, has been free skiing on a 65 TRA and is about to move up to a 65 women union and the 15 year old does swivel skiing) would like to be able to play around with it too. But predominantly I would be using it and I just started sking on a borrowed Connelly Big Daddy (coming from a wood show ski). I can get up on it but don't love the bindings and would like my own ski to play around with. Our water is sometimes glass and sometimes choppy and rough.  Down the line, I'm thinking of getting a radar session 69" but just want something to play around with for now. 

ya the 65 would be great and we have some size 7-10 size radar bindings mounted so its a bit versatile for users. 

• Baller

Ok, was looking around for a fatter ski for fun at slower speeds and had posted on an old thread that talked about omnis and senates, but this is more what I was looking for!  Placed an order from Wiley's and good to go!

I like johnny mosely's video on it.  This old bump skier/racer/slalom ski ripper will have fun with it, and my kids that never really got into slalom, and guests, will have a ball I bet!

I still have my D3 ARC for the serious stuff.

• Like 3