Novice Buoys installed all the time

• Baller

At our lake, we have a few novice skiers wanting to progress by using the mini course novice buoys. We would make them install them and take them back off each time they want to use them. I am getting different opinions on whether the novice buoys can remain installed 100% of the time. One opinion is that the novice buoys installed makes the regular turn balls float around. Others are saying it doesn't affect anything if the length of the lanyard is correct. My solution would be to add a second zip tie on the novice buoy lanyard leaving a few inches of slack, so they don't float the turn balls.

Is this a concern? Or, can we just leave them on all the time at the proper length? 

Opinions please!

• Baller

I have novice balls on both the courses I ski all the time. At the ski club they are on their own cement blocks with sub-buoys. They don't have any impact on the regular turn balls and after a few passes through the course, nobody that skis the regular balls even notice them anymore. We do use green balls for the novice because they don't stand out compared to the normal red turn balls. 

Sounds like you're talking about on a portable course??

At my lake house, I have a portable course. Having the novice balls on the course is big benefit IMO. Because it does a lot to keep the PVC pipes from sagging and the additional balls helps stabilize the PVC pipes in the water. For the normal red turn balls, I have 5lb cod weights attached a few inches below the PVC pipe below the turn balls. That keeps the turn balls low in the water, assuming they aren't overfilled. With that setup, having the novice balls on has no effect on how the turn balls sit in the water. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

@jpwhit Thanks for the reply. Yes correct. Insta-slalom PVC course with permanent anchors installed from April to October.

I did think about isolating the novice buoys from the PVC. However, our lake is pretty deep where our course sits so it would be very difficult to do the concrete blocks for the novice buoys.

We also use green for the novice buoys for the same reason.

• Baller

Make them the same length as the and buoys on the arm. 

this will keep the arm from bending 

keeping the Coarse accurate

saggy arms make a narrow coarse 

Fill the turn buoys with water to keep them low 

• Baller
57 minutes ago, Deanoski said:

Fill the turn buoys with water to keep them low 

Amen to that bro!!!

My ski finish in 16.95 but my ass is out of tolerance!

• Baller

@Deanoski Yes- Turn balls currently have some water in them to keep them lower.

I want the novice buoys on all the time, but a couple members are saying it will throw off the turn buoys......

Sounds like it is actually better to have the novice balls on.

• Like 1

• Baller

Many years ago at a tournament there was a Novice round.  They also had a couple rounds of Class C, one of the better skiers was known to "Slam" his onside turns when getting to 32 and shorter. Sure enough, late at 5 
@32, Slammed it and the rope dropped into the water and caught the Novice buoy when the slack tightened.  took the handle right out of the skiers hand.  Next roung they removed the  Novice buoys. 

• Like 1

• Baller

At our lake, to accomidate the new buoy chasers, the driver will drive between the boat guide and the turn buoy. The skier rounds the boat guide and the turn buoy on the same side. Not as perfect as having a intermediate buoy. The problem in a closed environment with the extra green buoys is that when turning to retrive a fallen skier there are more obsticals. Also tubing and wake boarding have extra obsticals to distroy. More work for buoy boy. (me)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Baller

We keep our in 24/7 365 days a year, doesn’t even phase us when we ski and it helps keep the booms straight/ level. And it looks good too!

• Like 2

• Baller

We previously used under inflated buoys on our floating course in Vermont to ensure the pvc arms floated level in the water but weren’t visible while skiing. Would watch beginners and skiers that have not tried the course give the red buoys a try from my cabin. They would take one maybe two tries at them and realizing how hard it is and never return to the course. Fast forward a few years and I had kids and my kids friends wanting to ski the course. While putting the course in had the “ah ha” moment and placed green buoys with the same length cord as the reds so the mini course was in. Not only did my ski crew benefit from this addition, I now see many recreational skiers out on our lake using/attempting the course. I do not notice the green buoys while skiing. While I’m sure there will be a few isolated instances where the green buoys could interfere with a score for a skier, the benefits outweigh the downside. Making the course approachable and accessible will have a positive influence on our community especially for courses on public waters. Do what feels right for your application but definitely consider the mini course buoys. 

• Like 8

• Baller

The ski snob in me says they get in the way for trick practice on our small lake, but they do keep the pipes from sagging.

The clown in me says see how you can challenge yourself with them since they're there.

• Like 2

• Baller

@Chris Rossi YES agreed. My exact reason for wanting them all the time is to create new slalom skiers that otherwise would feel defeated by trying the standard course. Thanks for everyone's comments.

Green Balls are going in!