Stock Ventura settings?

• Administrators

@Deanoski is that a dependable metric? The Goode jaws measurement varies with tunnel depth and calipers. I am not saying their method is bad. I am saying I worry about any conversion between tips and jaws.

• Like 1

• Baller

6.820 is a tried and true “mid-ride” number going back to the late 2000’s when the design debuted. The ratio of fin surface area with the width and hourglass shape works well. 

I’ve got probably 1,200+ sets on 4-6 66” mids and 68” revo-mid running the 6.820 type of setup. Looking at my notes, one ski I tweaked it to 6.818 and 2.488 for the final setup.  My new 68” I’ll setup based on the posted numbers and adjust accordingly. 

big book of proven knowledge on that ski design and fin numbers. Granted, they are “starting numbers” and tweak from there. Boot placement trumps anything though. YMMV!

• Heterodox 1

• Baller
8 hours ago, BGrow76 said:

@Deanoski I'm sure the 6.820" is a jaws measurement with calipers that have had the gap at the base of the jaws ground out.

In other words, Not a measurement .

• Like 1

• Baller

It’s stupid. Just adapt to using tips numbers. It’s pretty easy to get consistent measurements with tips and it’s same across every caliper. Same with depth.  Now DFT. That’s another story but jaws only works with specific caliper. 

• Like 1

• Elite Skier
On 7/1/2024 at 5:56 AM, BGrow76 said:

A jaws measurement for length is a very good and easily repeatable (easier than tips) measurement if you have the proper caliper. For DFT a slot caliper is even better.

https://goode.com/products/digital-slot-caliper

https://slotcaliper.com/

I’ve always assumed It’s great until you move dtf or length then end up in a different part of the concave on the ski and get a different number… never really tried it but alway seems like a floored measurement? Or even worse try to use the same fin setup on a different ski with different tail bevel shape and concave and end up having a different surface area for the ‘same’ number