Slalom ski size for heavier guy

• Baller

What size ski should I be running. I am 5'9" and weigh at about 260 to 270 depending on the day. Currently have a 69 radar senate alloy that I can get up on but is more work then I would like. Debating on giving an omni a try not unsure if I should go 69 or 69 wide as I have been loosing weight slowly but surely and hoping to get back to the 220 range at some point. 

• Baller

Radar makes a 71" Senate but it looks like it's the same width as the 69, which seems weird to me.  So I am not sure if that would make much difference on starts.  Maybe look at a 69" or 71" Radar Union until the weight comes off.  It's wider than the Senate and would probably help with the starts.  I am not as familiar with the HO products but look at the width spec first and compare it with what you are riding if the goal is easier starts.  Wider is better.  A quick glance at the HO website suggests to me the Omni or Omni Wide is definitely worth a look.  

• Elite Skier

Your main priority right now is to get salon feel easier again so I’d go with the Omni 69 wide. That ski rips and hopefully it’s going to let you feel like you can slalom with some speed and rythem again instead of dragging everywhere. 

• Like 2

• Baller
15 hours ago, h20sportsbum said:

What size ski should I be running. I am 5'9" and weigh at about 260 to 270 depending on the day. Currently have a 69 radar senate alloy that I can get up on but is more work then I would like. Debating on giving an omni a try not unsure if I should go 69 or 69 wide as I have been loosing weight slowly but surely and hoping to get back to the 220 range at some point. 

71" senate or a Union would be what I'd try next.  I used to ski on a 71" Senate, now on a 69".  I'm 255 lbs.  The 71 was easier to get up on and could get me well down the line at 28 off in the course.  I just found that it was harder to shut down into the ball when I was running late than the 69 does.

10 hours ago, jjackkrash said:

Radar makes a 71" Senate but it looks like it's the same width as the 69, which seems weird to me.  So I am not sure if that would make much difference on starts.  Maybe look at a 69" or 71" Radar Union until the weight comes off.  It's wider than the Senate and would probably help with the starts.  I am not as familiar with the HO products but look at the width spec first and compare it with what you are riding if the goal is easier starts.  Wider is better.  A quick glance at the HO website suggests to me the Omni or Omni Wide is definitely worth a look.  

Ski planes out a little easier with the added leverage behind the boots on the 71, but other than that, not a huge difference in how they ski IMO.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 6/28/2024 at 7:23 AM, storm34 said:

Just switched to an Omni thinking it would lack in performance from my 16 Vapor.  Not the case as handsome @RobHazelwood says, the ski rips!  

Did you go to the base omni or carbon?

On 6/27/2024 at 11:20 PM, RobHazelwood said:

Your main priority right now is to get salon feel easier again so I’d go with the Omni 69 wide. That ski rips and hopefully it’s going to let you feel like you can slalom with some speed and rythem again instead of dragging everywhere. 

I do like to ski aggressively and am looking for something to be pushed some. Concerned the omni wide would be to much of a backwards move from the senate. You said the wide rips. Is this the Bae omni or carbon version your talking about?

• Elite Skier
4 hours ago, h20sportsbum said:

Did you go to the base omni or carbon?

I do like to ski aggressively and am looking for something to be pushed some. Concerned the omni wide would be to much of a backwards move from the senate. You said the wide rips. Is this the Bae omni or carbon version your talking about?

it depends what you mean by you ski aggressively and that would be a technical discussion more than a what ski suits you. I would presume (often risky to do that but it’s all I’ve got) you skiing aggressively is because your ski is too slow and small and you have to ski like that to get moving across course, because of this you take a shallow line into the bouy and then end up having to crank the ski to get rotated therefor resetting the ‘agressive’ style (again this is just a guess from what I’ve seen before). For your current weight your priority would be getting some surface area underneath you to provide drive forwards not just the dragging feeling that causes you to feel like you have to over lean/be over agressive.

I would say to finish off the length of going to a 71 isn’t going to allow you to be as ‘aggressive’ and you won’t be able to get angle quite as easily. All the width should do is allow you to get the float of the 71 without the extra ski length to get rotated.