Best ski for the boat

• Baller

I’m looking for a ski that is very versatile for guests on our boat. I want something that would work well for my dad who was a good skier but is aging, out of practice and struggling to get up. I had an HO Omni and he struggled to get up on. I also want something that I could give to someone who has never tried skiing. 

What should I be looking at? I was thinking HO Freeride which apparently only comes as a combo now. Anything else I should consider?

• Baller

I just bought a Radar Session for a guest ski and it is awesome. Just got my friend through the slalom course for the first time at 24mph. I rode the ski as well for fun and it rips. Super easy to get up on and holds angle well. Probably a bit wider than an Omni.

• Baller_

I bought a combo freeride just to have a set of skis for guests to use.  The single slalom ski really isn't bad.  Easy for most to get up with deepwater starts and does turn.  We just got someone up on the single ski last weekend who hadn't skied in years and had never done a deepwater start.

• Baller
28 minutes ago, Mastercrafter said:

Man, it’s hard to beat an Omni, get-ups included. Was the one you tried a different biding setup than you’re used to, or a different driver? 

Just to clarify, I’m looking for a ski for my dad and other guests. The Omni was my fist ski. It was perfect me for that, but my dad seems to struggle with it. He skis his Maharaja when he does ski with us. Just thinking something a little more modern would work better. 

• Baller

Radar Terrain probably about the best for this.

I absolutely adore the HO Hovercraft but it's not really a slalom ski in the traditional sense so if someone otherwise wants to slalom at speed probably a terrain.

New skiers? Hovercraft,  2 people screwing around? Hovercraft or trick skis, you on ski guest on combo Hovercraft.   

• Like 1

• Baller

Radar Terrain.  It lives in my boat and is the "boat ski."  Nice thing about it is it pops even my 250 lb behind right out of the water, and I can ski it a long time without getting tired.  It's an 8 minute boat ride from where we ski to the launch.  I'll ride the Terrain on that stretch after a few sets on my Senate.  It's the best way I've found to get the ski muscles back.