Horton

• Administrators

WSProTour-MonacoSlalom400.png

Monaco Slalom Cup - June 25-26

monaco.PNG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

@PUoldmaid He was pulling hard for 3 or 5 (don't remember, but TMay says 5) and had too much speed at the buoy. He basically never switched edges. Dropped the handle at the buoy, the rear foot came out, he glided for a bit without losing speed before tumbling head over heels towards the dock. The video was blurry since the boat kept going, but there was a trail of spray that abruptly ended at the dock. People ran down there immediately.

• Baller

From the chat...
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: Broke leg or feet
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: no injury at the head or back
bobslalom: thanks for sharing ! not nice but could be a lot worse
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: yes ...
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: maybe the Femur
bobslalom: end of season probably 🥲
createcommotion: 🙌🏻 it looked bad.
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: They are waiting the Ambulance
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: Ambulance it's here
Prime Gamingnkrbrt: it's the leg

• Baller
On 6/25/2024 at 5:21 AM, Luv2Ski said:

Thanks for posting this Horton. I had no idea there would be a webcast.  It's not wonderful but at least it's something.  I applaud people for trying but so far no one can come close to TWBC. 

TWBC is awesome, no doubt, but I REALLY like the on-screen running order, live scoring updates, etc on this Monaco webcast.  Huge fan of that!

• Like 2

• Baller

Here we go re: discussion on things close to the slalom course like ramps and now docks again. Queue the two sides: it's been fine there forever until now, and safety is paramount. Thank you and you're welcome. 

In all seriousness, I really hope Fred heals quickly and comes back better than ever. That really really sucks. 

• Like 2

• Baller

Wow that is super bad news to hear about Freddie. Broken femur and out for the season?  Dang. I will say it’s super frustrating to hear about it on instagram and not be able to go back and see what happened. It would be great if we could somehow come together in the ski community and help TWBC do a sort of franchise thing.  There are so many folks out there using various forms of technology to conduct tournaments (including recording them) that one would think we could close the gap between the podunk US tournaments and some of these European tournaments to the level of TWBC if we just got together and made an attempt at unifying the broadcasting and digging down to more local levels.  This is one thing I think would boost popularity. Now for sure, I understand that TWBC has invested soooo much money and time in innovating the broadcasts and I know there’s no way we could scale that level of production out to tons and tons of tournaments, but I would think we could at least start somewhere and maybe do some of the bigger regional events that have some of the better, more experienced skiers in them.  I also know that when you start getting people to “organize” things, that you get seemingly more headaches than the whole thing is worth.  But, if the sport is dying as I keep hearing, and we want to keep doing this crazy mess, that may be one way to start. 
‘or maybe I’m crazy too. 🤷‍♂️🤪😂

• Baller

I think for years past the set ups at most lakes had adequate safety margins for obstacles. Now with so many of the pros and many of the young guns, 41 is becoming a normal thing which has a large speed component attached. These safety margins where pro events are being held need to be revisited. Proof is in this video.

• Like 1

• Administrators

@S1Pitts maybe. 

I think it is like speed limits. We would all be safer if we drove 45 mph but we accept the risk and drive 75+.

If I am correct that Fred's accident is indeed a freak accident then let's not overreact. 

If someone shows me photos that shows the dock in Monaco was unusually close to the course then I will reconsider my position. 

• Like 1

• Baller_

5 ball is 54 feet from the dock and directly in line with an overshoot of that ball.  If it wasn't there, he likely would have slid up on shore and probably fared better with an additional 15-18 feet before leaving the water up onto the grass.

image.png

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Administrators

@BGrow76  @MISkier

if the skier has the handle anywhere near the ball line they literally can't get to that dock.

Freddie was under extreme load and going very fast past the second white water and roughly in line with the bottom of the ramp when he lost the handle.  He then stayed on the ski keeping his speed high for maybe another 50 ft and about to the ball line. He never switched edges so his trajectory was much more cross coarse than would be normally possible.  

I think he lost the handle somewhere around the red oval below. I think he traveled a LONG way. Simply very unlucky.

image.png.jpg

I believe this is a freak accident. I do not think that the dock is in a normally dangerous place.  

We are all speculating so... If someone who has skied there wants to chime in I am all ears. 

• Like 1

• Baller

Ski resorts have these pads on the lift towers. About 10 years ago when I worked at Deer Valley a long time Austrian ski instructor was skiing with his 2 kids on the last day of the season. He hit a lift tower on an intermediate run and died on the spot. Ski Patrol was on scene in 3 minutes, COR to no avail.

Bottom line, over 20 mph strike and it’s over. Experience doesn’t matter, accidents will happen.