How to cut rubber for bindings

• Baller

Does any one have any insight as to how to cut rubber for bindings properly?

I really struggle with every form of footwear due to high instep and in this case surgery rebuild out of line sooo when I get something that works I like to keep it. I have a trick binding which I like but the rubber was shot so I made a new one out of some new spare rubber. It worked great, but ripped on a tiny knife cut from my imperfect knife skills. Made another one being more careful in this critical area and it failed else where. How do I get a nice clean fault free cut like the original? Can't buy original parts by the way hence why I am doing this

• Baller

I make an ugly cut oversize with scissors or knife. Then I sand it down to the proper size with some sort of sander. For long straight lines, the belt sander works well. The angle grinder can do shorter straights. A drum sander on the drill gets the big radius areas. A small drum on the dremel gets the tight radius spots. The dremel with a small burr drills clean screw holes and is good for stop drilling small tears. Clamping and holding the rubber for the sanding requires planning and care. Sanding will shape things clean and eliminate stress concentrating cuts.

Where did you source your rubber? My sheet is decades old (stored in the shade so still OK) but somewhat limited. Someday I'll need to resupply.

For a trick ski, forget the rubber and go hardshell. Size it for the thick Intuition liner and heat mold the liner with your footbed for a comfortable performance fit. It will improve your tricks.

Eric

• Like 2

• Baller

Thank You @eleeski and @thager. I plan to go to hardshell, but having just gone through a painfull process trying to get reflex and vapor to work on my Slalom ski and ending up buying a new ski I am loathed to repeat the process this week with trick ski............ I will make a new wrap using the method that you suggest. The rubber is really fresh and supple, its the middle out of big gaskets we make occasionally at work and just goes in the skip. We order new sheet in each time.

• Like 1

• Baller

Definitely buy a new trick ski along with the hardshell! If your ski isn't a modern design, you will really benefit from a new complete setup.

If you switched to rubber for flip longevity, you might not need a new setup. Do the repair. But the new designs really are better. As is the hardshell.

What rubber are you using? Does it have foam on the inside? Some rubber is not tear resistant and might not have good durability in a binding application. Especially gasket rubber. You might have to order an oversize binding rubber from Wiley's and sand it down to your specification.

Eric

• Baller

@eleeskiEPDM it stretches and is really tough but one little nick and it rips. I am pretty sold on the new trick ski idea...............there is a but. I put a ton of effort into my slalom I over think slalom to my absolute detriment. I could never get up on a trick ski awful things I thought........Then I got this old MESLE absolutly flat on bottom razor sharp edge  one day I was so frustrated with my slalom I jumped on this trick ski and with the help of some tips on here I got up, I just love it now but as a throw away thing just having fun to destress from my slalom, I have no aspiration to do anything I just jump off the wakes and do surface stuff.................I don't want to loose that fun( I am like a kid on it), I don't want to start taking it seriously like my slalom. It works for me as is and I am a bit scared of messing with something so good, illogical I know.