Inexpensive Cottage Ski Tug

SlapChop

• Baller

I'm currently looking at picking up a relatively inexpensive ski tug for the cottage. All freeskiing, small lake, 30-32 mph 15-22 off mostly.  I've skied behind a Nautique 200 (2012) for comparison and liked it's wake, though a little larger at these speeds and lengths, and a Malibu Response LXI which wasn't great at these lengths and speeds.

My friend has a small J-Craft like outboard that produces virtually no wake at these speeds/lengths and I was hoping to emulate that with some of the available options.

Currently I'm looking at a 1999 moomba boomerang (550 hours), decent shape and a 1994 Nautique 196 (pro boss with 1000 hours). Their prices being $5000 USD for the boomerang and $7300 for the Nautique.

After this I'm looking at the $12000 range which gets me into a 95 Prostar 190, 2003 Malibu Sporster, 2001 Moomba Outback etc.

Finally at around $15k I can get a bubble butt 1998 Nautique 196 (1000 hours apex engine).

Ultimately size doesn't really matter, it'll be on a small (less than 4 miles long) lake, and used to ski from a dock/beach, but I'd like to get a boat which wake wise will serve the speeds and line lengths above without spending more than I have too. This is to tide me over for three or four years until I can afford a super fancy newer dream boat (and lots of coaching).

Thanks in advance!

• Baller

I had a '98 Boomerang and it was a great boat! That 350 chevy with dual exhaust sounded amazing compared to my current single hole Nautique. They're cheap for a reason and tiny inside but if you're looking for a cheap pounder but a real ski boat, you can't go  wrong.

• Like 1

• Baller

I would buy a GEKKO GTR over any of the boats except the 196.They have a better wake and are cheap to purchase.You have to drive and ski one.There is a 2004 GTR in Vermont that you can buy for probably $17-18 has the big PCM and perfect pass.....one owner boat and made by ski centurion out of Merced,CA......CONTACT ME IF YOU ARE INTERESTED I WAS GOING TO BUY IT HOWEVER BOUGHT ANOTHER BOAT......RON.   218-851-2801

• Baller

You can definitely find a 196 for cheaper. I missed out on a 2000 a few hours from me for 9k CAD, but no trailer. 400 hours, needed a bit of vinyl work, but overall great shape. Kicking myself. The seller was too honest, wouldn't take my deposit until the first person passed 😂😭

• Baller

Sportster wake is small but very hard. It's like hitting a little concrete curb. Great for barefooting. Not for slalom.

We went the bubble butt route up at the cabin and it is the ultimate boat for that purpose. Drop dead reliability for the GT40 and does everything well. We tried a few cheaper options and ultimately went back to this hull. We tried a NWZ hull (90-96 SN, ours was a 93) and an 83 MC before that, both a waste of time for us. Wife hated the NWZ wake and the 83 MC looks cool but that's about it on those. 

For that price range no other inboard is even close to a 97-01 SN (by the way these are technically NOT a 196, that is a misnomer and that naming convention didn't come along until 02-03 timeframe). This model is called a "Ski Nautique" not a 196. 

So get the real thing off the bat, anything else is not even in the same universe. Build quality, ergonomics, and skiability, the full package.

• Like 5

• Baller
1 hour ago, chaloux said:

You can definitely find a 196 for cheaper. I missed out on a 2000 a few hours from me for 9k CAD, but no trailer. 400 hours, needed a bit of vinyl work, but overall great shape. Kicking myself. The seller was too honest, wouldn't take my deposit until the first person passed 😂😭

Where in Canada? I’m in Ottawa, and I saw a trailerless bubble butt selling for $9500 or so around Montreal I think. I sent the guy a message but he changed the ad to sold almost immediately.

Thanks for all the great responses so far!

I had a chance to test drive the boomerang this morning. The engine is in great shape, smooth running, reversed well, good hole shot and cruise and idled well. Steering cable seems to be in good shape as the steering was easy. Some vinyl and fading and needs a new bilge pump but otherwise in great shape. Trailer is also good to go, wake seemed fine at 30 and 32.

Based on these answers I’ll prioritize trying out a bubble butt and see how it compares.

• Like 1

• Baller
3 hours ago, sunperch said:

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/858420822791941/?ref=search&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A6ee7b4e9-c945-40ba-999d-cb3d2edb0c26

A little more $ but it is a bubble butt SN, 343 Excalibur repower with ZO.  We have owned the boat since we bought it from a promo.

@sunperch do you have a non-FB posting?

• Baller
1 hour ago, SlapChop said:

Where in Canada? I’m in Ottawa, and I saw a trailerless bubble butt selling for $9500 or so around Montreal I think. I sent the guy a message but he changed the ad to sold almost immediately.

That was it! I only saw it a day after posting, just wasn't on the search at the right time. They said they'd do 9k, then said someone was coming on Tuesday, then it sold. Sonofa. 

There was also the 200 out your way for 37k, 200 ish hours. Also a super steal, missed that one as well. It seems that there are buyers out there, but very few people are willing to pay COVID prices anymore. Stuff goes when priced right. 

Good luck on your search. "Settling" on the 196 is a wise choice, but now I have another person to compete with in my search! Haha

• Baller

I got a 94 Nautique in 2000, used for 14 years. Great low priced slalom tug. Put a 4 blade prop on it, super low and soft wakes, especially in your speed and line length.  Get perfect pass stargazer for any older boat you buy, nice for your driver. No need for z box.

• Baller
6 hours ago, chaloux said:

That was it! I only saw it a day after posting, just wasn't on the search at the right time. They said they'd do 9k, then said someone was coming on Tuesday, then it sold. Sonofa. 

There was also the 200 out your way for 37k, 200 ish hours. Also a super steal, missed that one as well. It seems that there are buyers out there, but very few people are willing to pay COVID prices anymore. Stuff goes when priced right. 

Good luck on your search. "Settling" on the 196 is a wise choice, but now I have another person to compete with in my search! Haha

That 200 was our old club boat, not sure I’d have boat it lol after seeing who and how it was driven lol. The engine was reasonably well cared for though.

haha, at least there aren’t many of us lol. But yeah, the reasonably priced boats are selling - that 1998 nautique in Haliburton I was eyeing feels like too much at $21k cad, especially with the ugly tower they have on it.

• Like 1

• Baller

surprised you didn't care for the Malibu LXi.  There's variance in all boats/hulls, etc, but the little time I had behind a 2003 LXi, I thought it was the best 15 off wake this side of a bubble butt.  If it was '07 or newer, your assessment makes sense.

Bubbles are hard to beat, though I am not a fan of the GT40 engine.  I have a ski buddy with two of these boats and he's always having issues with one of them or the other.  It's a nice smooth pull when it's running well though.  The GM 5.7 is the easiest engine in the world to get parts for.

• Baller

@UWSkier if you get back into an 03-06 RLXI after being used to more modern boats you'll see they have not aged well. Odd ergonomics and seating position, easily peeling chrome everywhere, overstuffed upholstery etc. They were certainly cool in the day and ushered in the era of "the primary ski boat of a brand can be open bow from the ground up and ski great" for sure. A trailblazing event when a walkthrough open bow pulled Parrish's record. That was awesome.

07-11 RLXi was not a great period from the get go. Best left forgotten.

12+ TXi was a huge improvement and the 15-16 TXi is the only Malibu of any era I would own. They ski and drive great with the PCM motor that they shifted forward for 15 and 16.

• Like 2

• Baller_

What @Jody_Seal said. You won’t need a fancier boat in the future. Maybe an interior refresh, some buffing and well maintained engine, you won’t find a better boat short term or long term. Negotiate the price. Show up with cash. The slower speed longer line wakes are just superior to all the others you mentioned. I’d hedge a bet you’d find them even slightly better than the 200. Perfect boat for the conditions and variables you describe. Just perfect. 

• Like 2

• Baller
2 hours ago, SlapChop said:

That 200 was our old club boat, not sure I’d have boat it lol after seeing who and how it was driven lol. The engine was reasonably well cared for though.

haha, at least there aren’t many of us lol. But yeah, the reasonably priced boats are selling - that 1998 nautique in Haliburton I was eyeing feels like too much at $21k cad, especially with the ugly tower they have on it.

Yeah I've thought about that one as well, but I'm not keen on the open bow and snap covers now that I've had one. The snaps on the boat suck a lot to buff around, or you need to remove them.

That's really great to know about that 200, because I've been sad about it since. There are a couple others in QC, the white and red one at 28k, a white and blue one, and a couple others. There's one near me for 25, but it has some hull chips and I'd fix them before putting it in the water so that's an extra couple k to repair. And another 02 right down the street but they want 26k with no trailer, and it's also got the snaps and open bow. Ideally I'd like an 08+ with zero off, but right now my priority has shifted and I just need a cheap ski tug for the year. I might not even buy anything this year and just wait until next season, which sucks, but I'll just have to be resourceful. 

I second everything @Wish said above. 

• Like 1

• Baller
On 6/22/2024 at 10:04 AM, jhughes said:

Sportster wake is small but very hard. It's like hitting a little concrete curb. Great for barefooting. Not for slalom.

We went the bubble butt route up at the cabin and it is the ultimate boat for that purpose. Drop dead reliability for the GT40 and does everything well. We tried a few cheaper options and ultimately went back to this hull. We tried a NWZ hull (90-96 SN, ours was a 93) and an 83 MC before that, both a waste of time for us. Wife hated the NWZ wake and the 83 MC looks cool but that's about it on those. 

For that price range no other inboard is even close to a 97-01 SN (by the way these are technically NOT a 196, that is a misnomer and that naming convention didn't come along until 02-03 timeframe). This model is called a "Ski Nautique" not a 196. 

So get the real thing off the bat, anything else is not even in the same universe. Build quality, ergonomics, and skiability, the full package.

Would you consider a 1700 hour GT-40 pro boss (1999 ski nautique) - apparently it's been meticulously maintined, oil changes every 50 hours - or should I shy away from that many hours? The price I'm looking at is right.

• Baller

That boat has had the tranny replaced already so I'd go for it. But it sold earlier this spring and they never took the ad down. Unless they lied to me, in which case I'd be a little pissed. 

• Baller
2 hours ago, chaloux said:

That boat has had the tranny replaced already so I'd go for it. But it sold earlier this spring and they never took the ad down. Unless they lied to me, in which case I'd be a little pissed. 

I think they lied to you - I had a call with the sales manager this morning, I'm going to do a facetime walkthrough tomorrow and put a deposit down if it's good to go. Is this the Bay Marine one you're talking about (curious so I can watch my back if they're sketchy about stuff)?

• Heterodox 1

• Baller

Yep that's it! Very interesting... I was waiting for them to take the wrap off to make a trip down. Well, if you don't end up picking it up be sure to update. 

Screenshot_20240624_113243_Messages.jpg

• Baller
8 hours ago, chaloux said:

Yep that's it! Very interesting... I was waiting for them to take the wrap off to make a trip down. Well, if you don't end up picking it up be sure to update. 

Screenshot_20240624_113243_Messages.jpg

Unless the deal fell through maybe? Dan, the guy I spoke with, mentioned some kind of snafu with buying selling it, it had to do with over pricing or overpaying or something, I was only half paying attention as I tend to zone out when somebody tries to sell me something or tell me it’s a great deal while they make commission lol.

2 hours ago, sunperch said:

Trying hard to give me a reason to visit Kansas? 😂. It’s a beautiful boat for sure, if things fall through with my closer options it may find its way up my list.

• Baller

Ok - so downpayment on the 1999 Ski Nautique complete. The inspection looked good, some surface rust on the engine risers which I assume isn't really an issue, otherwise the engine compartment looked good. Hull looked to be in great shape, same with the rudder and prop. The dealer serviced it already after taking it out of storage and claims it is mechanically sound.

I take it out next Tuesday for a water test and then final sale if all is good to go. $11K USD is what I'm looking at for the final price.

• Like 2

• Baller
1 hour ago, chaloux said:

Congrats! That's awesome. So they wouldn't do any price breaks eh? It's been for sale for a really long time... Pics when you pick it up!

I’ll be honest, I didn’t push too hard, but when I get my eyes on it Tuesday I may revise based on what I see and drive. 

But 100% with the pics!

• Baller
On 6/27/2024 at 9:40 AM, 6balls said:

Oh yeah, that’s beautiful!

I feel like this is Christmas Eve, this will be my first proper ski boat I’ve ever owned. Not sure if I’ll sleep tonight.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 6/25/2024 at 5:23 PM, chaloux said:

Congrats! That's awesome. So they wouldn't do any price breaks eh? It's been for sale for a really long time... Pics when you pick it up!

It’s now floating at my cottage.

Overall it is in good shape for a 25 year old boat. Some minor damage to the bottom of the front hull, looks like a repair was effected and there is some bunk rash. Otherwise it runs like a top, skied really nicely last night too.

Thanks for all the advice, I’m already in love with it.

(photos’s featuring my buddy Jon who helped me tow it, and my sunbathing/somewhat patient furry companion Watson).

I’ll post some more pictures once I’m back at the cottage.

IMG_5577.jpeg

IMG_5576.jpeg

IMG_5582.jpeg

IMG_5581.jpeg

IMG_5580.jpeg

IMG_5584.jpeg

IMG_5585.jpeg

• Like 7

• Baller

You will love it.  I still miss my 1999 Bubble butt (2 boats ago).  FYI I'm sure you can probably get a Perfect Pass control that will fit in the dash instead of mounting down to the side.  It looks like they took that out of a previous boat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller
On 7/5/2024 at 9:49 AM, PatM said:

You will love it.  I still miss my 1999 Bubble butt (2 boats ago).  FYI I'm sure you can probably get a Perfect Pass control that will fit in the dash instead of mounting down to the side.  It looks like they took that out of a previous boat.

Yeah, good point. I checked perfect pass and they do have the nautique 3.5 inch display, so adding that to the list.

Once I’m back at the cottage this week I’ll be taking inventory of all the things the boat will need, and also some more pictures as well.

• Baller

As I get to know this new boat I’m developing some questions - mostly centred around my lack of experience owning a ski boat. Hopefully I can glean some more info for this great community.

For instance: it has perfect pass installed, and it works quite well - that being said it has both the older digital pro and the stargazer modules installed. If my eyes aren’t deceiving me it also has a paddle installed as well. From what I can see though it looks like only the star gazer module is needed, unless someone has some insight into why you’d keep the digital pro around and hooked up as per the pictures below. Ideally I’d like to buy a 3.5 inch display and replace the 5 inch Gerry rigged Malibu display and install it in dash - though for some reason the digital pro seems to be wired into something that is currently sitting in the second Speedo slot. So unless anyone can see a reason to keep the digital pro and this extra bit of wiring (looks like it’s wired into the tachometer to take the rpm reading) I think I’ll be removing them both to clean it up.

Second piece - the throttle is stiff moving out of neutral, into either forward or reverse. Once in gear it moves nicely enough, I suspect it may have to do with the perfect pass installation but I am open to suggestions. I saw some stuff on the nautique forums discussing this, and while I’m open to replacing the throttle and shifter cables I’m not entirely convinced it’s the source of the stiffness. I picked up some marine grease to service the shifter with in the mean time.

Final point for today - there is some minor stuff, like small nicks in the first tracking fin and on the prop. I’m not sure how much of an effect this might have on the boat overall, the boat drives nicely, no shuddering etc, so perhaps replacing the fin is more cosmetic and a ‘down the road’ type of fix as I slowly restore the boat to it’s former greatness (things I wouldn’t worry much about on a stern drive or outboard). It does appear it’s been beached at some point, there is a ‘home’ looking repair to the hull fore of the fins- the hull is pristine from the fins back though. Only other small point is some bunk rash that appears to have worn through the paint (could be paint transfer _ I’ll have to take some more pictures when it’s out of the water next), I’m not sure how dire it is to address that.

And finally the manifolds are fairly rusty, not sure if this is something I should look at replacing sooner than later - the mechanic at the dealership didn’t seem to think they were an issue.

Otherwise I’m super happy with this boat, it’s a beauty and I love the green- now I wish it would stop raining so I can go bomb around some more today.

IMG_5604.jpeg

IMG_5605.jpeg

IMG_5599.jpeg

IMG_5600.jpeg

IMG_5596.jpeg

IMG_5598.jpeg

IMG_5595.jpeg

IMG_5592.jpeg

• Baller_

@SlapChop - Nice acquisition.  Only one module or operating system is required, you basically have a second redundant system installed.  The digital pro system operates off engine RPM via a calibration map to correlate RPM to boat speed.  Paddle wheel is somewhat redundant and only used (on most modes) as a reference speed on the speedo head.  There are several good videos / troubleshooting guides / operating manuals on the PP website, well worth some time to review.

Those manifolds could definitely benefit from some TLC.  Be careful, the corrosion on the bolts and hardware will make for extreme care and caution in trying to remove them.  Sooner rather than later may be a helpful strategy to minimize breaking bolts in the head or manifold, but with extreme caution and using all the tools to loosen frozen bolts (lubricants, heat, etc.). 

• Like 1

• Baller

Riser gaskets are a somewhat urgent need if they are in fact leaking. Reason being if they are leaking internally you could be getting water into the heads via the exhaust valves. That said that may not be the cause of the rust necessarily.

Whether or not the manifolds look rusty is really just aesthetic, I wouldn't unbolt them from the head unless totally necessary.

• Like 2

• Baller

Thanks guys for the responses guys.

The mechanic who had serviced the boat prior to the dealership putting it up for sale mentioned they were fine, and that it was cosmetic (obviously I took the selling party’s opinion with a grain of salt), I haven’t noticed any leaking externally yet, but in all fairness I haven’t checked after an extended run time.

In the mean time I’ll dismantle the old digital pro and clean up my dash a bit.

• Baller

The old digital pro has no power only has the display wire going to it. If the paddlewheel is plugged into the stargazer it will read lake temp. Or you may be able to use the paddlewheel mode in wakeboard mode if you're on a river. Mine is that way, but I had to let perfectpass know that before I ordered the upgrade so they could program it.

• Like 1

• Baller
On 7/11/2024 at 5:12 PM, foxriverat said:

The old digital pro has no power only has the display wire going to it. If the paddlewheel is plugged into the stargazer it will read lake temp. Or you may be able to use the paddlewheel mode in wakeboard mode if you're on a river. Mine is that way, but I had to let perfectpass know that before I ordered the upgrade so they could program it.

Ok, that sounds like what is happening. The display does show water temperature, I'll have to trace the paddlewheel line again, as it seems like they used the second speedo as a junction box of sorts when routing the RPM and paddle wheel lines into the stargazer. When I'm back next weekend I'll probably tackle the full cleanup, as there is also a sound system with a sub woofer I'm keen to ditch.

• Baller

Another question to the crowd - I've ordered new throttle and shift cables as my shifter has been stiffer than desired, and I've decided it's worth it to have a smooth operating shifter - I also ordered the brass pivot connectors with them, but ordered the 'short' version. Will these be an issue? Should I have ordered the longer/newer version for the boat?