I discovered training loops... my life will never be the same

• Baller

I got my new S-Line rope last week. For the prior rope, I ordered an 18.5-off loop for my wife, which she loves. That inspired me to get a 30.5-off and 33.5-off loop as well. I've been using the 30.5 loop in the course and love it. My 32-off passes are much more solid. I'm more confident shortening to 32 as well. And, of course, I don't notice as much of a difference between 30.5 and 32. I wish I had added some training loops sooner. 

I realized that between using a training loop and listening to Spraymakers talk about how the number of passes and the speed are just arbitrary numbers we use; so is the rope length. Of course, when you are hitting a tournament, you better be ready for the official length and speed, but these loops have been amazing for someone trying to become more consistent at 35-off.

• Like 6

• Baller

Totally under-utilized in my opinion.  If you want to have some fun, some mid loops can be really fun.  33.5 feels A LOT like 35 but is a lot more forgiving, same for 36.5 vs 38.  Allows you to train for what you will be needing at the next line off without getting as beat up, so that you might have better success then at the next loop.

Great for that skier that says I always run my "x" but the next pass kicks my ass.  

• Like 4

• Baller

@o2bnMaine did you just put a note in your online order with S lines or did you have to call/email? I was thinking of getting a line with a training loop and did not see an option on the S lines page to select an extra loop. 

• Baller
1 hour ago, BlueSki said:

@o2bnMaine did you just put a note in your online order with S lines or did you have to call/email? I was thinking of getting a line with a training loop and did not see an option on the S lines page to select an extra loop. 

I ordered the rope. Then I went in and ordered 3 training loops. In the order process you can pick the 'length.'

• Thanks 1

• Baller

I was never able see value in "in between" loops.  I'd run the between and still fail miserably at the next standard length. Just me and my head probably.

• Baller
12 minutes ago, LeonL said:

I was never able see value in "in between" loops.  I'd run the between and still fail miserably at the next standard length. Just me and my head probably.

Leon, Negative. It's not in your head.

Echo chambers on the internet and the media crush growth.

80% of the time, training loops are a gimmick, mask and a band-aid. They don't solve the real problem.

Theres a book about the issue.

wg.JPG

From previous posts, "different results take different actions."

Doesn't matter if you are using a training loop if the fundamentals are really what's holding you back.

Skiers working through:-15/32mph-22off

Squat and pull with muscles, shoulders are titled, "elbows pinned" to vest creating a dangerous hinge!!.

It’s a protective posture to:

“Keep from crashing”

“Help me pull to the next buoy”

“Have to run this pass”

“Crossing the wakes is scary”

28: forms better but usually skiers are skiing with their muscles not their frame. It’s doable at 28. Still some squat and pull action, bent arms and a$$ dragging across the boat.

32: have to start skiing with your frame and not pulling on the rope or fighting the boat with muscle power trying to cross the wakes. First line length which requires “loose lean, hold position and work the ski”.

35: to own it, have to ski with your legs not your arms. Lots of arm sweeping, bent arms, handle sweeping at the buoy is typically done by guys not owning it and guys NOT skiing with their legs.

38: have to ski with your feet not just your legs

39: have to ski with your hands and your feet and your legs.

41:??? Only Nate really knows!

• DIslike 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller_

If you want to get better at 28 off, you practice 28 off, if you want to get better at 32 off you practice 32 off, if you want to get better on the training loops then you practice the training loop however you will never get a training loop at a tournament   

• Like 1
  • DIslike 1

• Baller

I’ve also tried the training loop and still came up with the same results after cutting the line.

Trying to get deeper or running it on my hardest pass, I’ve found speeding the boat up on your easier passes has really worked. I ski 34.7mph 28-35 off and then for -38 I drop back down to 34.2. I’ve heard a lot of the pros do this 36 and 34mph skiers. 

• Baller

I have to agree with @scoke. Midloops are not the answer. Gates approach's are different with mid loops it’s another pass before your hardest which you really want to work on. Try slowing the boat down and getting the feel and the correct picture you are looking for  that way your gate approach is the same it’s just feeling the flow of the pass    

• DIslike 1

• Baller
On 6/21/2024 at 9:05 AM, scoke said:

Leon, Negative. It's not in your head.

Echo chambers on the internet and the media crush growth.

80% of the time, training loops are a gimmick, mask and a band-aid. They don't solve the real problem.

Theres a book about the issue.

wg.JPG

From previous posts, "different results take different actions."

Doesn't matter if you are using a training loop if the fundamentals are really what's holding you back.

Skiers working through:-15/32mph-22off

Squat and pull with muscles, shoulders are titled, "elbows pinned" to vest creating a dangerous hinge!!.

It’s a protective posture to:

“Keep from crashing”

“Help me pull to the next buoy”

“Have to run this pass”

“Crossing the wakes is scary”

28: forms better but usually skiers are skiing with their muscles not their frame. It’s doable at 28. Still some squat and pull action, bent arms and a$$ dragging across the boat.

32: have to start skiing with your frame and not pulling on the rope or fighting the boat with muscle power trying to cross the wakes. First line length which requires “loose lean, hold position and work the ski”.

35: to own it, have to ski with your legs not your arms. Lots of arm sweeping, bent arms, handle sweeping at the buoy is typically done by guys not owning it and guys NOT skiing with their legs.

38: have to ski with your feet not just your legs

39: have to ski with your hands and your feet and your legs.

41:??? Only Nate really knows!

I understand the concept of the book, but the loop lengths are arbitrary. If one is working on mastering 32-off, 28-off is just a training loop? Why do I need to practice at a 4-ft shorter line? Why not ~2-ft shorter? 

• Like 2