54" Trick Ski Mod Project

• Baller

I have information that leads me to believe that cutting an inch off each side of the Goode big daddy (54" MK1 Trick Ski) will greatly improve its wake-trick tracking without compromising the benefits of having the biggest ski.  It's just too wide to hold an edge properly as it's currently shaped/constructed.  

Anyone one on here have the skills, tools, time, and willingness to cut my ski down an inch off each side and replace/reshape the edges?  

• Administrators

@jjackkrash someone out there may have the skills to chop and reshape your ski but I am doubtful that the result will be better. I have only one ride on the 54  but I think it is an amazing ski for basic surface and wake turns. I would not use it for any trick where only one foot is in the ski such as toe tricks or line tricks.

If the ski is not edging for you what bindings are you using?

• Baller

The big Goode is a great ski for two foot surface turns. It is stable and resists edge catching. If your goal is to rack up a reasonably high point basic trick run, this is the right ski.

It is also a good learning tool. It will teach you solid basics.

You will be a bit slower than a conventional ski (I skied it at 15 and 16 mph). This makes the falls a lot lower energy and less painful.

But I struggled to get big air or execute my more difficult wake tricks. It was not too comfortable for toes or line tricks. Certainly not magic for advanced tricks.

As to cutting down a Goode, I'm skeptical that you would solve more problems than you would create. You will still have a ski with lots of edge, lots of ski area and the extra weight while controlled by a boot that is not placed to maximize edging.

The Goode ski works extremely well for what it was designed for. Buy a wakeboard if you want huge air. Buy a traditional trick ski for advanced tricks. Spend your hours skiing, not working on skis (did I really say that? From experience, absolutely).

Eric

• Like 3
  • DIslike 1

• Baller

somebody needs to make a 50 inch. I dont understand why the manufacturers wont do it. There is a bigger market than they think.

The slalom mfg have figured this out. every brand has some kind of "wide" option

• Like 3

• Baller

I’m in total agreement with @disland!! So much so that I’ve made several prototypes out of wood that actually ski really nice.  I used my sons d3 as a template for shape and edge profile and scaled up each time. I’ve settled on 50.5 for the length. Can’t remember the width but it’s proportionate. Of course it’s not a long term solution, but just to prove to myself that something in the middle of a 45” ski(too small for my 270lb ass) and a 54” ski would work well. Cmon radar!! Poland- edition cruiser trick  ski. 

• Like 1

• Baller

I’m with you on this. I don’t really need a 54” ski, but would love to have a 48” or 50” ski. That would be proportionally correct for my height/weight I think. But I’m really enjoying the 54” Goode compared to my old 44” O’Brien. IMG_3276.jpeg

• Baller

That's interesting.  I've never measured, or looked at measurements, and I just assumed it was wider proportionally using the 35% of overall length rule.