Changing from M6 to M7 what’s my score?

• Baller

I’m trying to understand how my rank average will be transferred when I go to M7 after nationals.  I found the below in the rule book but it doesn’t make sense to me. My scores are all in C tournaments. 

If I am reading this right, my average score just moves across. But if my scores were in E,L,R I would be penalized 6 buoys??  Or do I get 6 taken off my average too?

C. Standards for Graduating Skiers who change divisions within the last
12 months: The rolling 12-month version of the National Ranking List will
carry scores achieved in the prior division, into the skier's new age division,
subject to the following special considerations:
1. Where the new Slalom division has a maximum speed equal to or faster
than that of the original division -- the performance is carried into the
new division at the same total buoy count.
2. Where the new Slalom division has a maximum speed slower than that of
the original performance -- the buoy count score carried into the new
division will be reduced by 6 buoys if the score was achieved in a Class E,
L, or R tournament (10.06.C).
3. Where the new Jump division has a maximum speed slower or a maxi-
mum ramp height lower than the speed and/or ramp height of the actual
performance accomplished in the original division -- the 

Thanks

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller

You've got it correct. In class C skiers are allowed to ski faster then their divisions max speed, and receive credit for it. Those scores transfer as is. For class ELR you can ski faster, but do not receive credit, so those scores are transferred minus 6 bouys. Since all you have are C scores, the total buoy count will transfer as is.

• Baller

Keep skiing 34, for as long as you can.  Advice from someone who already went through it.  I had a short flurry of picking up a whole pass, but after a couple of seasons of plateau I dropped off quickly.  Wish I'd skied a couple of more years of 34.

• Like 2

• Baller
On 6/16/2024 at 11:12 AM, LeonL said:

Keep skiing 34, for as long as you can.  Advice from someone who already went through it.  I had a short flurry of picking up a whole pass, but after a couple of seasons of plateau I dropped off quickly.  Wish I'd skied a couple of more years of 34.

Interesting perspective, thanks for sharing. What about the change in speed caused the plateau and drop off?  Do you think your body got weaker faster than if you had stayed at 34 or ??

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
On 6/16/2024 at 1:50 PM, Jody_Seal said:

I would propose men over 60 have the option of 34 or 32 mph scoring with no deductions. 36 mph also! score it as it stands..

They do in AWSA.  

• Baller

I'm not sure about what happened, due to multiple variables.  Amazingly enough, I was still experiencing marginal improvement at 34.  It could be that age was inevitably gonna get me.  Once I went to 32 (other than the temporary gain, which in reality was not a gain) I stopped improving.  Taking stock I have to believe that the loss of speed exposed flaws in the second side of the wake, ie. handle control etc. and carry out to the buoy. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@Jody_Seal's statistic on M6 performance numbers shows how much our sport is aging. We do need to keep these older skiers in the game.

The energy goes up with the square of the speed. There's a lot more energy in just those two MPH than it might seem. Energy that pulls out shoulders, tweaks backs and intensifies the damage from a nasty fall. The speed reductions were made by sound technical assessments to preserve our skiers' health. Incentivizing overspeed (by giving the full buoy count from the higher speed) has a high probability of injuring out participants or discouraging them as the inevitable physical decline makes the course that much harder.

Getting up has become a challenge for me and many others as we age. The fat skis are much easier to get up on but don't work as well at higher speeds. Running slow buoys is WAY better than failing the start.

Note that you are free to age down and compete in the younger age division with the higher speed if you really need that extra speed or buoy count.

Eric

• Like 1

• Baller_
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, eleeski said:

Note that you are free to age down and compete in the younger age division with the higher speed if you really need that extra speed or buoy count.

I don't believe this is allowed in AWSA.   IWWF has the Age+ division designation, such as 35+, but AWSA does not.  For example, men over 65 cannot complete in M3 in AWSA or any other Men's division outside of their actual age division except Open or Masters.  And, IWWF would only allow 36 mph, and credit it as such, in Open Men (a.k.a International Men), whereas 36 mph is allowed and respectively credited in any age-based Men's division, except Masters, in an AWSA class C.

Edited by MISkier

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.