Canadian Boat/Trailer Purchase

sgregg

• Baller_

We bought our used from a dealer up near Windsor and he had all the paperwork ready to go for us. We showed it to customs and we were on our way.  It was a used boat purchased from a dealer 

• Baller

I've done the reverse a few times, have all of your paperwork dealt with, call the border crossing several times in the weeks leading up as things change daily, get the name of the border person too as that may help if things get iffey. I've had it go super smooth and they've been incredibly helpful but I've also been there for hours being interrogated. The Canadian side is more interested in the trailer as it is what hits the road, they don't really give 2 shakes about the boat. Seems to be a roll of the dice, Good luck!
Canadian side could be starting job action on Friday, might be a long line.

• Administrators

I had a nightmare a few years ago. The boat & trailer came from Orlando up to Canada and then was there for years before coming to California. I don't think it went through customs correctly on the way down and I never got the paperwork. so basically it was a undeeded trailer and I had to go to the California DMV and convince them that this trailer that had zero paperwork was legal and not stolen. it took months.

• Baller

Got this from US Customs:

June 17, 2024

Thank you for contacting the U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Information Center.

Importing a boat into the United States requires that the following documents be presented at the time of import to a CBP officer at a U.S. port of entry:

• Proof of ownership (dealer invoice, private bill of sale, etc.);
• Proof that the boat engine conforms to U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) standards; and
• Completed EPA Form 3520-21 https://www.epa.gov/importing-vehicles-and-engines/publications-and-forms-importing-vehicles-and-engines#declaration

Please call EPA at (734) 214-4100 or email imports@epa.gov should you have questions about completing the EPA Form 3520-21.

Pleasure boats are generally assessed customs duty when imported into the United States. The following duty rates apply to boats imported for recreational purpose:

• Sailboats and motorboats other than outboard motorboats: 1.5 percent
• Outboard motorboats: 1 percent
• Inflatable vessels: 2.4 percent
• Canoes: Free of duty
• Rowboats/other vessels not designed for use with motors or sails: 2.7 percent

Duty rates are subject to change. Please check Chapter 89 of the Harmonized Tariff Schedule (HTSUS) for current duty rate information on boats at https://hts.usitc.gov/current.

Boat trailers are defined by U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) regulation as motor vehicles requiring a 17-character Vehicle Identification Number (VIN). A permanently attached manufacturer sticker or plate displaying the VIN must be clearly visible on boat trailers. The DOT Form HS-6 Declaration-Importation of Motor Vehicles and Motor Vehicle Equipment Subject to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety, Bumper and Theft Preventions Standards is required to be completed and presented at the time of import. To inquire about DOT importation certification, please contact EPA at 202-366-5291, send a fax to 202-366-1024, or send an email to importandcertification@nhtsa.dot.gov.

Thank you again for contacting our office.

Regards,

CBP Information Center”