Trying out a new ski

• Baller

I'm a long time skier looking to upgrade my ski. I would like to try the ski before buying. We don't have any slalom ski shops nearby. 

The skis I'm looking at online do not have bindings. Is there a way to buy the skis and bindings, and try them out? Can I send them back if I don't like them? Are bindings mount points pretty standard / universal?

Any favorite online ski stores?

Thanks for any info!

Ed.

• Baller

how old are the bindings on your ski now?  If made in the last 15 years, they'll probably mount up to any of the new skis.  You'll find most here recommend changing one thing at a time, meaning just ski or just bindings, not both at the same time.

• Baller_

Welcom Ed - lots of folks here eager to help you spend your money!!  Tell us about your skiing - free ski vs course; if course what level are you at; and what is your current ski & bindings. Where are you located?

Red

• Baller

@UWSkier good point on changing one thing at a time!  

I have a O'Brien Comp Series World Team Comp ski, with O'Brien 890 bindings, which are a velcro double-wrap around the ankle adjustable style binding. I got the ski second hand around 10 years ago. I'm not sure what year it is, my guess is around 2005? It's dark blue and has "Aerospace aluminum top with Kevlar dampening".

Two of the loops on the bindings broke, so I think I'll start there. I've never tried a back foot full binding (I start with my back foot out), and I'm not really interested in that. But I do want a good binding that I can get snug on my front foot. I'm the only one using it, so it doesn't need to be adjustable.

@Rednucleus I ski free style. I'd like to ski a course (I did when I was younger) but I don't know of one in the area (Raleigh, NC). I updated my pic with my own "ball of spray to give an idea" 🙂. I tried out an HO Omni Water Ski and didn't like it at all and returned it. Hard to start, too bulky, bad turning, no speed across the wake.

• Baller

If your binding is shot, there is not a point in finding a ski to work with the old bindings.  Might need to start with a new binding. Something like this Wiley binding is tried and true and most similar to the O’Brien 890.  

From there you could demo. 

• Baller_

Hey! So while I do not ship my Demo skis, we do offer a 30 day refund / exchange, which I can explain in more detail for you but you can also check out here to see some of the packages (skis and boots) but if you want to shoot me a PM/Email or call me at the shop I will do what I can to get you sorted out for sure! 

• Like 1

Performance Ski and Surf 

Mike@perfski.com

👾

• Baller

That's absolutely bonkers that an Omni felt slow through the wakes but the ancient World Team Comp didn't.  That thing is an anchor.

With that age of gear, you're looking at bindings and ski together.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, UWSkier said:

That's absolutely bonkers that an Omni felt slow through the wakes but the ancient World Team Comp didn't.  That thing is an anchor.

This was me 5 years ago and my initial comparison too. Went from the same O'brien World Team Comp that I'd skied since it was new to a Carbon Omni. Omni felt VERY slow by contrast. The O'brien was fast but squirrely. However, some tweaks to the fin and wing and the Omni was day and night faster, more stable, and turned better. Setup was everything.

Since moved onto a Syndicate Pro which really gave me the feel I was after.

• Baller

Trying skis is a good idea. No one here can tell you want you want, especially since we have not seen you ski, don't know your body type, and don't know your athletic abilities. A single pic doesn't really tell much. Not trying to be dismissive but one person may love a ski and another is meh on it. I am surprised about your assessment of the Omni. I had been on a Carbon Omni and I can't say it was ever too slow for me as a beginner in the course. It was slower than my current Omega Max but it was also more supportive, stable, and easy on the body. It is possible that a base Omni is too slow by comparison and a carbon or syndicate version would do what you need. People have run into shorter lines at 34 mph on a Syndicate Omni so that can't be too slow. On ski options, there are so many good options from HO, Radar, D3, KD, etc. Depending on your ability to travel a bit, there are places to try skis in South Carolina and Virginia but they would be more than a day trip to get there, ski, and head home. It would be worth it though because you could try a few back-to-back and get something you like while also having a coach provide feedback.

• Baller

@Ed Glas - as no way you need hard shell bindings, as for rubber bindings D3 Tfactor bindings are absolutely top of the line. Don't pass up giving these a serious look. Outstanding bindings, and the only rubber bindings being ridden by some of the worlds best slalom skiers     

• Like 1

• Baller

@DvarianDan Johnson the D3 Tfactor bindings look neat! Will the ski come off if you wipe out? My current bindings do, which I think helps prevent knee injuries. They look like wake board bindings, which need to stay on during a wipeout. 

Ed.

• Baller

Look at Radar Vector bindings with a Boa.  My boy ran 34mph/-22 in a Vector Boa and thought they were very comfortable and supportive.  We upgraded to a Vapor boot last year just because, but the Vector is a pretty nice mid-level binding.  

• Baller_
Posted (edited)

@Ed Glas There are varying opinions on the release-ability of T-Factors. But since they are cinch laces, you can also regulate how tight you want them to be. I tighten my laces down pretty much as hard as I can, though I have a narrow heel so I can still lift my heel a touch, and here is video of me definitely releasing from my T-Factors lol - https://youtu.be/OowHKMyKnPs

Edited by Slalom.Steve

• Gold Member

I am a huge fan of my T-Factors,  BUT for exclusively free- skiing, I would suggest the Wiley.

The T-Factor makes a good tradeoff between performance and safety aspects.  But when performance is not being measured, I'd go all safety!