2024 Radar Vapor Review

Horton

• Baller

@gmuti will have to check that when I get back home tonight.  Currently I’m using the newest Radar hardshell boots.  I will say though that I have gone to a very loose fitting rear boot. I don’t tighten it - I put the tounge of the liner on the outside of the liner cuff, then the bungee is only pulled around the clips and the slack taken up. I don’t pull it tight whatsoever. The bottom dial is only tightened to take up the slack, not tightened hard. 

@C5Quest my records tell me I was at 29.25” previously- though that was with the short/deep fin setting.  I moved the bindings to the recommended placement when I tried the L/S fin settings.  After Kris moved my front boot forward it felt like a new ski on my offside.  It allowed me to actually complete my turn.  I don’t ever feel like I’m too far forward on the ski or have too much spacing between my feet. My bad habit was to try and turn too soon which had the consequence of me turning my upper body too much, pulling the handle up to my chin to take up slack, and me rocking back on the ski.  That resulted in me skiing tentatively into my offside and we all know the outcome of that.  

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Baller

@Skoot1123 please do let us know. That sounds crazy forward on that ski, assuming you were at stock. I'm looking at the numbers on the Radar website and my main question is, how do I go about looking like Joel Poland rounding a buoy?

image.png

My boot can't go forward more than 1/8" past the L/S numbers

• Baller
10 hours ago, Skoot1123 said:

@gmuti will have to check that when I get back home tonight.  Currently I’m using the newest Radar hardshell boots.  I will say though that I have gone to a very loose fitting rear boot. I don’t tighten it - I put the tounge of the liner on the outside of the liner cuff, then the bungee is only pulled around the clips and the slack taken up. I don’t pull it tight whatsoever. The bottom dial is only tightened to take up the slack, not tightened hard. 

@C5Quest my records tell me I was at 29.25” previously- though that was with the short/deep fin setting.  I moved the bindings to the recommended placement when I tried the L/S fin settings.  After Kris moved my front boot forward it felt like a new ski on my offside.  It allowed me to actually complete my turn.  I don’t ever feel like I’m too far forward on the ski or have too much spacing between my feet. My bad habit was to try and turn too soon which had the consequence of me turning my upper body too much, pulling the handle up to my chin to take up slack, and me rocking back on the ski.  That resulted in me skiing tentatively into my offside and we all know the outcome of that.  

I’ve been running 29 1/4 when S/D and 29 1/2 on L/S.   I’m at 29 1/2 now with Cole Gs fin numbers as my Vapor boot/ radar plate combo won’t allow me to go more forward .

So you didn’t. I’ve the rear….just the forward ?   Did KLP talk about 12 inch spacing when he set you up?

• Baller

Alright - I double checked my front boot and it is at 30” from the tail of the ski (as far forward as it goes).  The back boot is at 17.25” from the tail of the ski.  My overall boot spread is 12.75” (measured from the upper cuff screw from one boot to another).  Kris didn’t mention anything to me about the 12” spread, though I did see home measure that.  He had written notes in his notebook while he watched me ski. Very detailed and contemplative. 

I was skiing mostly at 34mph and felt it was taking a tad bit long to turn so I took out a little bit of length. Then I better just leave that fin alone and concentrate on my keys!

• Baller

Quick update on my ski settings:

DFT:  0.750

Depth:  2.479

Length:  6.953

Bf:  29 11/16”

Wing:  9
These settings yielded even better results (for me). Now it feels like I am just skiing and not trying to overthink anything. Is it possible for a ski to feel like it is on “autopilot?”  Feeling of good side to side speed and the front of the ski just pulls through the turn. Not sure if this is what others feel when their ski is dialed in or not, but it has been the best feeling for me in 4 years.  Easy on the body too.  

• Like 1

• Elite Skier
On 8/14/2024 at 9:19 PM, Skoot1123 said:

@jjackkrashKris moved my front boot forward two holes to increase the spacing/spread between my feet.  The increased spacing/spread is what helped me the most. 
The increased spread allows me to better feel the ski underneath me during my offside (1,3,5) turn.  The positive feedback (on my foot) during the turn allows me to stay patient. When I do this I won’t rush the turn and try to get too much angle. 

Placement is very important yes… but you’re saying a little extra spread made more of a difference than two holes forward (about half an inch)? Seems like your feeling the benefits of binding placement and the spread maybe just felt more natural, 2 holes is a big change and is going to feel considerably different. You could add an inch spread to my setup and I’m still going to run similar bouys, you move me two holes forwards and things are going to get real dicey real quick!

p.s not saying your wrong in any way, you’ve find what works you’ve got to run with it, just would be intrigued to see wether the front boot placement actually made more of a difference than the spread

• Baller

@RobHazelwood thanks for asking the question as I have since been doing a lot of thinking about this.  My skiing history over the last 5-6 years is that I have had problems with my ski wheeling on my offside (1,3,5).  Absolutely some of this is attributed to poor technique, bad form, not being aggressive enough.  In my quest to help alleviate this issue I made all sorts of boot and fin adjustments - bigger boot spread, fore and aft placement of the boots, fin length and leading edge adjustments - admittedly I was all over the place and likely not doing myself any favors.  
I’m not sure which adjustment made more of a difference (boot spacing or front boot placement on the ski), but what I can say is the increased spacing between my boots just helped me find my balance - and that was a massive improvement.  
I noticed a difference in ski behavior too when moving from 30” back to 29 11/16” - a marked difference.  But for me in my skiing - being balanced has been a bigger overall improvement. 
I’m nowhere near your level of skiing - but I sure appreciate your insight and commentary. 

• Baller
On 8/24/2024 at 3:31 PM, Skoot1123 said:

Quick update on my ski settings:

DFT:  0.750

Depth:  2.479

Length:  6.953

Bf:  29 11/16”

Wing:  9
These settings yielded even better results (for me). Now it feels like I am just skiing and not trying to overthink anything. Is it possible for a ski to feel like it is on “autopilot?”  Feeling of good side to side speed and the front of the ski just pulls through the turn. Not sure if this is what others feel when their ski is dialed in or not, but it has been the best feeling for me in 4 years.  Easy on the body too.  

Thanks for sharing.  My first thought was the ski drives you more than the previous vapors I've been riding.  

Felt like I couldn't turn it at stock settings and binding 1/4 back at 29.25 

Moved FB up an 1/8" and fin fwd to .755.  ran some of the easiest passes I ever have including a pretty routine feeling 35 for me.  Stoked!

• Like 1

• Baller
11 hours ago, C5Quest said:

@killer. were you on L/S or S/D settings ? and couldn't turn at 29 1/4?  

LS 

It turned better at 29 1/4 than fwd of stock but like a bucking bronco.

2.465.  6.94. .755. 9 deg. 29 3/8 fb

• Baller

@horton For those of us who're considering the c95 and the Vapor PB, you've skied both and you've tested a lot of skis. Can you give us a comparison? Likes and dislikes? What each does well? Who would be best suited for what based on ski characteristics?

Thanks

• Like 1

• Administrators

@jeidmann

I strongly avoid direct ski comparisons. Writing reviews is hard enough.  Both of these skis are very good. On average I run about the same score on both.

• Like 1

I have an older 2017 Senate that I purchased ~5 yrs ago when I was skiing slower/longer line lengths and am considering moving up to a 2024 Vapor.  I run -28/32, -22/34 consistently and am working on -32/32, -28/34.  I'm 6'5" 205-210lb.  Wondering if I should go with a 68" or 69.5".  Any advice?  At my level, would I notice any difference between the Lithium and Pro?