"Random Water Ski Pics - 2.0"

swbca

• Baller_

Just ran into this photo in my archive

At the 1965 Nationals in Minneapolis, because I was a local skier, this was the front page of the Metro section in the Minneapolis Star Tribune paper. I was age 20 living at home.  My Mom called the paper and they sent us this 8x10 print. 

24off 36mph.  pre-metric

The ski was the Cypress Gardens Lil' Monster. Billy Spencer won the World tournament on that ski in '64 at age 14. Roland Hillier won this tournament (65 Nationals) on the same ski.  Joker Osborne won the 64 Nationals on this ski. 

Everything began to change about slalom skis in 1966 when Leroy Burnett showed up in 1966 with his Obrien Mach-1 setting a new world record into 36 off.  Leroy ran his ski like a Giant Slalom Alpine skier.  The water was breaking just behind the tip through-out the course.

In addition to having too much back foot, what else was I doing wrong ??

Star-Tribune-1965.jpg

Edited by swbca
  • Like 3

• Baller_
42 minutes ago, lpskier said:

You are holding the handle with a reverse grip. Right foot forward skiers are typically coached to have the right hand palm down. You have your right palm up. Big spray though! 

You got it.  . . . I changed my Grip 2 years ago.  

• Baller

What a blast from the past. 57 years ago! Wow that's like a different sport and different era. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Just curious, why compare to photos 57 years ago at a nearly different sport versus video or photos from last season? What's the strategy here?

• Like 1

• Baller_
4 minutes ago, scoke said:

What a blast from the past. 57 years ago! Wow that's like a different sport and different era. Very cool, thanks for sharing.

Just curious, why compare to photos 57 years ago at a nearly different sport versus video or photos from last season? What's the strategy here?

Running into old photos of skiing is like running into old photos of your friends and family.  Seeing the changes over time and recalling experiences preserved with photos. No strategy and No comparison that I can think of. 

• Like 1