2011 Nautique Tracking Fins

Sethro

• Baller

I'm considering the purchase of a 2011 Sport Nautique 200.  Unfortunately, the owner recently passed away and those taking care of the estate don't know any details of the boat or its missing components...we did find the swim platform in another building! Right away I noticed the tracking fins are gone, but there doesn't appear to be any gel damage in the area.  I wasn't prepared to get under the boat and study it in detail, but it sure looked like there were actual inserts in the hull for the tracking fins...not through bolted?  I'm assuming the running gear is the same as the Ski Nautique 200, as Correct Craft says it's the same hull, so has anyone dealt with the replacement of the tracking fins for the Sport/Ski 200?  I've done some searching on the internet, but haven't found any answers yet.

Also, I'm not familiar at all with the LINC system.  Can I just get power to the dash to check things like engine hours?  Battery was completely dead, of course.  The code to start it/unlock it isn't known either.

It's also on a Ramlin trailer that doesn't appear to support the boat except for the outer bunks and about one foot of the front bunks.  The bunks inboard of the outer bunks don't even touch the hull...by several inches.  Perhaps those inboard bunks only have a function during the loading process itself?

• Baller

When Nautique says the hulls are the same, that typically means the hull is made in the same mold. It doesn't necessarily mean the running gear is the same. I'm thinking maybe the sport 200 didn't come with tracking fins. 

Yes, you just need a 12v power source to get the Linc screen to power on. A jump starter pack would be a convenient option if you had one handy. 

A lot of people never set the keypad code. If that's the case, you can just push the start button. There are 2 blue lights on the bottom of the keypad. First press of start turns on first light and that's the equivalent of the key being in the ACC position. 2nd press is the same as ignition key On position and 2nd blue light comes on. 3rd press is the same as pressing Start on a push button start car.  

• Baller

The Sport 200 absolutely should have tracking fins.  Very odd that they were removed?  You mention a wonky trailer fit.  Do you see where the fins may affect how the boat loads or sits on the trailer?  I'm just trying to wrap my head around why the fins would be removed.

• Baller

I agree it’s really strange that the tracking fins were removed.  Could be they took them off so a non 200v specific trailer would work?

if the boat was run without the tracking fins and the bolts weren’t in place, there was water getting up there which imho is bad.

I mangled the lead tracking fin on a rock while on vacation with my old 196, so I took it off  by swimming under at the boat (but put the bolts back in) and after the week was over and the boat was back on the trailer, I pulled the bolts and couldn’t believe how much water came out!

• Baller_

Yea the Sport 200 had tracking fins, The boat did not build up to it's hype hence the short production run. keep it light they said!! LOL!!

If i was looking for a used older open bow for skiing and wake adaptability i think i would look at the Malibu line , something with the diamond bottom..

• Baller

There is rumor that the boat was used by a friend and hit a log last summer, it's only time on the water for the year.  My assumption is they were damaged, and either on the bottom of the river or taken off to get fixed or replaced.  The fact that there isn't gel damage in the area makes me think they were removed to get repaired or replaced.  There is also no prop on the boat, but it was found and visibly damaged...but not terribly.  I've got experience with through bolted fins, and "lagged in" fins.  I just didn't want to ruin my clothes at the time and crawl under the boat, but it sure looked like threaded inserts for the tracking fin fasteners.  I thought I could easily confirm that on the internet, but so far haven't had any luck.

I think the Ramlin trailer it's sitting on offers way more than enough clearance.  The fins wouldn't even come close to hitting anywhere I think.  Seems like I remember some early Ski 200/Ramlin trailer posts and people saying that trailer didn't work well for that hull. 

• Baller

@Jody_Seal  Thank you!  Exactly the info I was looking for.  It even looked like it might be one piece, and not three individual fins??? 

It's definitely a project boat, but hopefully not too much involved.  If the price is right I do plan to buy it, but regardless I'll help the family get it ready to sell.  Don't worry, I've still got my 98 Echelon for ski duty.  😀