Explain to me the difference between Malibu and Mastercraft

MitchellM

• Baller

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about boats and I don't want to start a brand war.  I'm truly curious why I can buy a new Malibu TXI for $88K and a new Mastercraft Prostar is $120k.

I'm just a recreational skier learning the course with my family.  I've driven both boats (mostly an old malibu) and skied behind both brands.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around why the Prostar would be over $30k more.  What value am I getting for that price differential?

I actually don't mind spending the money if I am getting value.  I'm looking for a boat with an open bow so these two along with the Nautique 200 are in the mix.

• Baller

The Mastercraft has the best slalom wake in waterskiing right now. Aside from that, not much. 
Mastercraft made their major price jump right after Nautique did for their new abomination. 
once the wakesurf fad wears off, maybe the ugly barge business will drop off and the manufacturers will give a damn about the market that created them

• Like 3
  • Off Topic 1

• Baller

Also, I have never noticed it myself but the older women skiers at our tournaments hate the Malibu wakes. I can only assume that at speeds lower than 34 the wake gets bad. I don’t know where “the bad” starts. Is it at 30mph, 28mph?  I can’t answer that one but maybe someone here can

Edited by aupatking

• Baller
26 minutes ago, aupatking said:

Also, I have never noticed it myself but the older women skiers at our tournaments hate the Malibu wakes. I can only assume that at speeds lower than 34 the wake gets bad. I don’t know where “the bad” starts. Is it at 30mph, 28mph?  I can’t answer that one but maybe someone here can

Interesting that you say that.  From my reading, I've seen many comments that the Malibu TXI has better wakes at lower speeds and longer lines.  Hard to know what to believe.  My wife is an "older" woman (59), but I didn't say that!

We're all just learning the course.  Still at around 28-30 at 15 off.

• Baller

@MitchellM I think all of the boats are good quality and it comes down to personal likes and dislikes.I would drive all of them and if you can ski the boats.Remember you are spending lots of money for a boat and I think you want one you are going to be happy with.The market now seems to have many newer boats like 2020 to 2022 for sale so I have seen where you can pick up a 2022 for a lot less then a new 2023.Enjoy the boat shopping and post photos of the new purchase.......

• Like 1

• Baller
12 minutes ago, bananaron said:

@MitchellM I think all of the boats are good quality and it comes down to personal likes and dislikes.I would drive all of them and if you can ski the boats.Remember you are spending lots of money for a boat and I think you want one you are going to be happy with.The market now seems to have many newer boats like 2020 to 2022 for sale so I have seen where you can pick up a 2022 for a lot less then a new 2023.Enjoy the boat shopping and post photos of the new purchase.......

Thanks.  Boat prices are finally softening a bit.  My wife gave me the go ahead for a boat purchase.  Now just need to decide.  Nice thing about living in Florida is the numerous options.

• Baller

As a woman in the "crap I'm getting old segment", I can attest to the fact that the slow speeds behind the Malibu are painful.  Having skiing too many times to count at 24.9 mph that wake is large, even larger when there is more than 1 person in the boat.  The wake is more tolerable at 26.7, better at 28.6 and getting very nice at 30.2.  The Mastercraft on the other hand was more tolerable at those slow speeds and the bump over the wakes was smaller than the Malibu was.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

• Baller_

Some of it is Ford v Chevy and brand loyalty.  MC & CC have focused more on the 3 event crowd in recent years compared to Malibu (which is the volume leader in wake boats).  Brand loyalty & demand can / does impact price and total boat volume probably has an impact on individual boat price (offset fixed costs).  There are some threads on this site detailing issues with the 3 top brands, worth a read as you ponder your decision.  In my area, Action is clearly the premier dealer, they do an awesome job and a very customer focused.  Happy shopping.

• Baller

When looking at boat info on the internet, you're getting a lot of opinions. From someone that pulls / teaches a fair number children and women to ski the course at slower speeds, and from someone that has been doing it recently with MasterCraft, Nautique, Malibu boats. My strong opinion is Malibu isn't the best choice for that use case. I think the latest Prostar is the best (2014+), the first generation 200 is 2nd best but close, the Malibu is a distant third. 

• Like 2

• Baller

I'm a Malibu owner and never plan to sell, But if I was buying new I would get a Prostar with 6L b/c I like that engine better than direct injection.   I don't like the look of the new TXI as much as the older ones but that is just personal preference.   But that is a lot of price difference!

• Like 1

• Baller
34 minutes ago, sgregg said:

"Not red" is my wife's only stipulation.

Look at this malibu.  This is the boat that got me thinking about the price differences.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=66148

• Baller
2 hours ago, Mastercrafter said:

I think for $52K and 160 hours, that boat is a steal. I prefer MC but my best pass is still behind a TXi.

I contacted the seller last week and was told that boat is actually $58k now.  But I'd reach out to the seller to confirm.

• Baller

Your whole family is currently in the category of "long line, slow speeds" right now.  

At those longer lines and slower speeds, the Mastercraft is significantly better than the Malibu and your whole family will have a lot more fun skiing with the smaller softer wakes of the MC.  

If you were all shortline skiers, the preference toward MC wouldn't be so strong, but where none of you are, I would DEFINITELY veer heavily toward the MC.   Anything 2014 or newer has the awesome MC wake.  

DO NOT buy an MC 2013 or older.  They went from worst to first in this category when they came out with the new hull in 2014.  

• Like 4

• Baller
4 minutes ago, escmanaze said:

Your whole family is currently in the category of "long line, slow speeds" right now.  

At those longer lines and slower speeds, the Mastercraft is significantly better than the Malibu and your whole family will have a lot more fun skiing with the smaller softer wakes of the MC.  

If you were all shortline skiers, the preference toward MC wouldn't be so strong, but where none of you are, I would DEFINITELY veer heavily toward the MC.   Anything 2014 or newer has the awesome MC wake.  

DO NOT buy an MC 2013 or older.  They went from worst to first in this category when they came out with the new hull in 2014.  

Thanks for this insight.  This is exactly why I posted this question on BOS.

• Like 1

• Baller
1 hour ago, tlarocque said:

I contacted the seller last week and was told that boat is actually $58k now.  But I'd reach out to the seller to confirm.

Funny way to try and sell your used boat!  He implied that he paid $58k for it two years ago.

• Baller

I regularly ski behind and drive a 2017 Nautique 200 with 6.2 motor.  -15, -22, -28, -32.  At 28mph, 30, 32, 34, best pull,  low soft wakes, best driving boat made.  New Mastercrafts ski as well, drive very  well. Newer Nautique and Malibu, not great. IMO, those two companies are only interested in building ski boats for very high end skiers,  not us schmucks. They make more money selling wake barges. It sucks.   $100K for a boat that sucks for most skiers. 

• Like 1

• Baller

That TXI in California looks like a great deal and is beautiful. I like skiing behind the Malibu a lot, but at 34. I like the function of the electronics, the interior, and the space. It really is a great boat. Just not a lower speed slalom boat. I miss my 14 Prostar for teaching kids to ski the course. They weren’t afraid to charge at the wakes at 19mph

• Like 3

• Administrators

@MitchellMthat Bu in KS for $88k is a killer deal. As everyone knows I am a MC guy but someone should scoop that boat up ASAP. My guess is that boat is being sold for about wholesale. 

Generally I do not think you are going to find Malibu to be a lot cheaper than MC. When you really lineup the details, model year, and engine hours the difference is going to be small. Bu makes a very good boat.

• Like 2

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
34 minutes ago, Horton said:

@MitchellMthat Bu in KS for $88k is a killer deal. As everyone knows I am a MC guy but someone should scoop that boat up ASAP. My guess is that boat is being sold for about wholesale. 

Generally I do not think you are going to find Malibu to be a lot cheaper than MC. When you really lineup the details, model year, and engine hours the difference is going to be small. Bu makes a very good boat.

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=65118

It really is very tempting.  Seems like a great price for a loaded boat with only 30 hours.  Plus, I love the colors.

• Administrators

@MitchellMThe only thing I would add is if you are going to spend 90K +/- you will want a dealership nearby. These boats are getting more complicated every year. It is really best to buy from a dealership closer to home. 

• Like 2

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller
On 3/22/2023 at 8:02 AM, MitchellM said:

I'll be the first to admit that I know very little about boats and I don't want to start a brand war.  I'm truly curious why I can buy a new Malibu TXI for $88K and a new Mastercraft Prostar is $120k.

I'm just a recreational skier learning the course with my family.  I've driven both boats (mostly an old malibu) and skied behind both brands.  I'm just trying to wrap my head around why the Prostar would be over $30k more.  What value am I getting for that price differential?

I actually don't mind spending the money if I am getting value.  I'm looking for a boat with an open bow so these two along with the Nautique 200 are in the mix.

I'm prejudice but I'd go with the Nautique 200; hands down, especially if your in it for the long haul.  Nautiques are all I've ever owned and I've driven and ski'd behind them all.

• Baller

It blows my mind how many new(er) PS on SIA have no ski racks. Wut.  Seems like a major oversight when ordering. I mean, i know my boat doesn't have any either, but it's old and that wasn't an option. Seems like a no brainer. 

• Like 1

• Baller

1 minute ago, LoopSki said:

@chaloux. I think those of us on private sites have no use for ski racks.i dont know about everyone else but I would never use them. 

Huh, I guess so. I would just think for keeping them up off the floor of the boat, minimizing loose objects in the boat, extra walking space etc (although I realize not a lot of walking is happening behind the driver).  But I'm also thinking about my family being in the boat so any freed up floor space it's valuable to me. 

• Baller_

@chaloux - When not on the ski, I keep mine & ski partners under a towel / bag to keep sunlight off it.  For us, super easy just to slide skis behind driver on the floor and drape a towel over them.  The caveat - boat is simply a ski tug so it goes out, used to ski and goes back on the covered lift.   The racks are pretty cool and a great option for those that want / need them particularly if you bring more stuff on the boat.  They are pricey when one ticks the box so that probably impacts demand.

• Like 2

• Baller

That Malibu with 30 hrs is either a demo or a boat that has been already registered. Which is not an issue. But the price may tell you that the resale of the TXI may not be that great in the long run. Thoughts should be how will the boat feel and perform  in 300 hrs when things loosen up?  I know from experience MC and the 200 will be solid as the day  it first hit the water. If your wife is driving you in the course the MC and 200 especially the 200 will make it easier on her to drive a better ride due to the way they track. I’ve been in some great TXI’s And some poor ones. All depends on how they were set up. 
88k may not include shipping which could be around 3500 or cost of driving up there to pick up and bring home 

Edited by dave2ball

• Baller
On 3/25/2023 at 7:22 AM, chaloux said:

It blows my mind how many new(er) PS on SIA have no ski racks. Wut.  Seems like a major oversight when ordering. I mean, i know my boat doesn't have any either, but it's old and that wasn't an option. Seems like a no brainer. 

Agreed.  I realize they are a pricey option, but you just bought a $120k boat!  I think these ski racks should come standard.

• Like 2

• Baller
On 3/25/2023 at 7:22 AM, chaloux said:

At our private lake, the skis never go in the boat. We start from the dock and finish at the dock. Not much need for ski racks. 

• Like 3

• Baller

@MitchellMfor what your looking for and how you would use the boat, I have a 2014 Centurion Carbon Pro with 800hrs on it, never had one issue, always wiped down and kept on hoist and inside for winter storage. This boat would be perfect for you at more than half the cost for a “recreational “ skier/ family. Although it it’s not an open bow, it has a great wake at all speeds, 6.0L PCM engine and upgraded zero off to single puck and rear seats, not to mention a beautiful blue metal flake color. I am also a “older” woman and the Malibu is most definitely my last choice to ski behind. Between the Malibu, Prostar and Nautique 200, my choice is the 200 or Ski Nautique, the Prostar is very close behind. If you’re at all interested in the Carbon Pro , please feel free to reach out. Ski Goode!

483A9B48-C971-49C2-A599-9107D6E9C5CB.jpeg

C09F9732-6839-4167-A53F-5F6661AA0B35.png

1C9983BB-9F9D-44DE-8E8D-09769BDB16BF.png

Edited by Shell
  • Like 3

• Baller

@MitchellM If you buy from a dealer you will pay more for the boat and probably sales tax.On a high end boat that's a lot more money. You have to drive and ski the boats I think to make an informed decision that will work for you.If a $40 to $50k boat will satisfy your needs why buy one at 2 times or more of the cost.Even living in Florida how many hrs will you put on a boat in a yrs time.The engine in these boats if taken care of will last 2500 to 3000 or more hrs and certainly the boat itself is endless.Good luck and post photos of the new ski machine....... 

• Baller
59 minutes ago, bananaron said:

@MitchellM If you buy from a dealer you will pay more for the boat and probably sales tax.On a high end boat that's a lot more money. You have to drive and ski the boats I think to make an informed decision that will work for you.If a $40 to $50k boat will satisfy your needs why buy one at 2 times or more of the cost.Even living in Florida how many hrs will you put on a boat in a yrs time.The engine in these boats if taken care of will last 2500 to 3000 or more hrs and certainly the boat itself is endless.Good luck and post photos of the new ski machine....... 

Thanks for the advice.  I'd much rather buy a used boat in good condition with low hours.  Interesting that you feel these engines last so long.  I was reluctant to look at some boats with 800-900 hours.  Like this one not far from me:

https://www.ski-it-again.com/php/skiitagain.php?endless=summer&topic=Search&category=Boat_3Event&postid=66302

• Baller

@bananaronyou will have to pay sales tax regardless. Either when you purchase the boat or when you register the boat which has to be done if on a public lake. Plus the trailer will need to registered also to go down the road. 
you may be able to get away with it on a private lake. 

• Baller
35 minutes ago, dave2ball said:

@bananaronyou will have to pay sales tax regardless. Either when you purchase the boat or when you register the boat which has to be done if on a public lake. Plus the trailer will need to registered also to go down the road. 
you may be able to get away with it on a private lake. 

This varies by state.  In Arizona, if you buy a used boat from a private seller, you don't pay sales tax.  If you buy from a dealer, you do.

• Baller

I always bought all of my boats from private partys due to talking with the owner able to get more info on the boat and also you can see how they take care of their cars home and what else is there.Plus the boats are always cheaper and no sales tax where I live.