1993 Ski Nautique throttle control lock out ring issue. Is there a fix?

landonjohn10

• Baller

Any recommendations on how to fix a broken throttle control lock out ring on a '93 Ski Nautique? Boat engages in forward and reverse when lock out ring is not pushed up. Unable to find any replacement parts from Nautique Parts or eBay. Any and all suggestions would be great!  

Landon 

• Baller

The lock up ring on the lever typically connects to a rod that dis-engages a small lock tab and that could be the problem. First step is to remove the lever (allen head bolt) to verify that the mechanism is intact.

• Like 1

• Baller

The dog that drops into the notch to keep it in neutral can be a problem as well (pot metal that gets rounded and will ride right out of the slot).  You can flip the dog over and you'll have some squared off shoulders to lock into the slot again.

• Like 2

• Baller

Inspect as suggested to determine what parts you need.  I had this problem and posted about it on correctcraftfan.com.  One of the users there had some old parts laying around and helped me out, he just dropped the parts in an envelope and mailed them to me free of charge.  Could also post on planetnautique.com to see if anyone can help.  Alternately you might be able to find a new complete throttle lever.

• Baller

Thank you everyone for the tips . It's a Morse MV2 throttle. The spring isn't broke or wore out. The lock out ring still moves up and down with the spring intact. The small lock tab is broke, but it doesn't appear that the connecting rod is broken. The locking mechanism is also wore out. So the throttle lever does not lock in neutral with the lock out ring pushed all the way down. I'll take a second look at it and see if I can flip the locking mechanism around. @ski6jonesdo you happen to have any spare parts laying around? 

• Baller

My 2006 SN196 appears to have been modified (intentionally) so as to take some mass away from the lock tab.   I can't find that part alone anywhere.  I may have to buy the whole assembly.  (GRRR!)