Our first time out this season will have a high water level

swbca

• Baller_

This is from our 'yard cam' at the lake tonight.  Minnesota has had near record snow fall which will end up in the lake; soon we hope.

When I see people posting about their first run of the season a few weeks ago, its hard to figure how upper midwest skiers with a 4 or 5 month skiing season can be competitive, but somehow a few manage to do it.  Minnesota has never had any open division celebrities but many National bronze to gold medalists over the years. This year a skier with a 4th in the Nationals and another with an Over35 World Tournament Gold.  The only benefit of the short season may be fewer artificial joints with a lifetime of skiing. 

yard.jpg

Edited by swbca
  • Like 2

• Baller

The lake I have the course at has a median ice out date of April 10th. Something tells me that isn't happening this year. 28 days away and no real warm days in the 15 day forecast. 

I generally consider it a win if I can ski on or before Easter. We'll see what happens...

• Baller

I'm just north of I. Falls in Canada and last year we had BIG snow and epic sledding but with the melt and all of the spring rain, our lake level came up 5' and destroyed many docks and boathouses. It was CRAZY, like the storm of a lifetime but over a few weeks. Skiing was whacky too in that high water! The bounce back waves in our course made it almost unskiable. Water level is back to normal now, maybe lower than normal.

I was in Duluth yesterday, after driving from Toronto, and stood in the Miller Hill Mall parking lot and they have the snow we had last year. If it rains a lot this spring it's gonna be trouble. They were in line to get another 1.5' yesterday in that area, WOW!