SN 196 Ski Rack

jpattigr

• Baller

We have an amazing 2004 196 and would love to find a set of these ski racks, my wife finds the skis on the floor messy and would love to have a set of these racks.

Anyone have a set they would part with? OR anyone have have a set that they would take an outline of and I can try and make a set if I had the shape and size

Thanks in advance, 

196 Ski Racks.jpg

Edited by jpattigr
  • Like 1

• Baller

Throwing this up as I did this yesterday on my 99’ SN. Seeing as there are usually 3 of us going out for a ski in mine or my neighbors 02 SN and floor space is quickly used up.  I used a couple of old Life Jacket straps from worn out/retired jackets cause I knew they’d come in handy for something.  Used the gunnel support fiber glassed in and ran the strap through. At least my ski is up off the floor. Might work on other brands as well but for those wanting to free up what little space we have then here’s an idea.

B6FDF6AF-0EBB-42FE-8D14-7DF47DE88610.jpeg

E123901C-50AE-4D1C-B515-E7159F3F2594.jpeg

• Like 8

• Baller

@jpattigr those racks seem to be rare birds.my ski partner has them in his 08. They’re the only ones I’ve seen in the wild. 😎. I’d love to find a set for my boat, as we don’t really use our starting dock, usually because it’s just 3 of us on the lake at any given time. I may have to ask @mmosley899to make me a set as well. 

• Baller_

So Sams Cub sells huge white cutting boards basically made of StarBoard or high-density polyethylene. Big enough to make those brackets and way cheaper than a sheet of Starboard. Easy to work with common woodworking tools. Great for other small marine projects. 

https://www.samsclub.com/p/bakers-chefs-commercial-cutting-board-15-x-20/126035?xid=plp_product_4

• Like 2

• Baller_

@mmosley899correct but I’ve used this stuff for more then a decade and have had no UV deterioration issues or discoloring. I can’t imaging 1/2” wouldn’t do the trick. And whatever is left over on one sheet, you could double it in key arias. Then just pad the edges for the ski. Just tossing out ideas for skiers on a budget 👍

• Baller

@Jaypro @jpattigr @Andre Jody is sending the parts to me so I can do cad drawings and make them for whoever wants them. @Wish I understand diy on a budget, but I try to only do things once, for long term use, so I don’t have to do it again.

• Like 3

Mike's Overall Binding

USA Water Ski  Senior Judge   Senior Driver   Senior Tech Controller

• Baller_

@mmosley899anything I’ve built with this stuff I’ve only had to make once including fabrication of a riding lawn part but I don’t have CAD or your ability to make and create premium products. Mine still have that made at home look. LOL. Hope this works out for everyone. 👍👍😎

• Baller
14 hours ago, mmosley899 said:

@Jaypro @jpattigr @Andre Jody is sending the parts to me so I can do cad drawings and make them for whoever wants them. @Wish I understand diy on a budget, but I try to only do things once, for long term use, so I don’t have to do it again.

Just to be sure,will you be sending us the CAD file or you'll be making them for sale ?

Did you get the support bracket too?

Edited by Andre

• Baller

@Andre my business is making water ski products to sell. @Bufootin I will try to make this product in a version that will fit various boats. If you are wanting a particular rack built, I would need a sample part or cad drawing to work from. @Wish I understand completely, I have a long history of diy with whatever material I could find. I guess that is what lead me to where I am.

Edited by mmosley899
  • Like 3

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller
21 minutes ago, mmosley899 said:

@Andre my business is making water ski products to sell.

I must have misread your intention when you started this thread. I thought the idea was to share  the outline drawing so we could ALL make our own.

Stupid me.

• Like 1

• Baller

@Andre @jpattigr the photo, thus the outline is posted above. Given you know the width of your average ski, you should be able to make your own version from that. The mounting bracket is another challenge… I haven’t seen that yet.

• Like 1

Mike's Overall Binding

• Baller

@mmosley899Happy to buy them from you.  I was thinking of mounting the racks with narrow aluminum bands, I could bend to attach to the gunnel and the floor as pictured above.  I bought a couple of pieces of aluminum and played around with the angles to make it work.   If you could sell me those, I could figure out the mounting brackets.