Boat lift canopy cover.

Andre

• Baller

Where did you buy,wich quality of fabric did you choose and are you satisfied with fit and finish?

Looking at Boatcoversdirect.com and such places...

Local lift manufacturer wants 4K CDN for a 24x10 in Sunbrella and 2400 for a vinyl one.

It's a HarborMaster flared ends copy.

Line Art for ShoreMaster Style

Edited by Andre
  • Like 1

• Baller

I have a Hewitt heavy vinyl cover/frame in yellow that I added to my lift about ten years ago. I remove it every fall only when the weather is 60F or higher. I always pressure spray it, dry, and then coat with 303 before folding and bagging it. I keep it in the heated basement in MN during the winter. Still looks new. My neighbor down the way used aluminum siding to replace his shore master cover permanently after a storm destroyed his. As far as storms go I have been lucky. My neighbors all around me have had theirs flipped/destroyed. Mine is covered on all sides with tennis court netting which I believe keeps the wind from getting underneath the cover. The netting also keeps sun off the boat. 

• Like 1

• Baller

@thager I saw pictures on this forum of the aluminum mod a few years ago.  I have considered it but was concerned about the canopy ribs being strong enough to hold heavy snows.  Being in MN, I presume your neighbor hasn't had any issues.

• Baller

I have a Naylor Lift and have a very similar cover for ours. I am not sure if it is the same demensions as a Shoremaster but the one we have from Naylor has lasted close to 25 years. https://naylorsystems.com/

I do something very similar as I remove it in the fall and it's cleaned and dried and stored indoors, should last for years. 

• Baller
17 hours ago, alex38 said:

Shrink wrap

Gonna have to explain this one! 🙂

You've done this to your?   I do have all the stuff needed...

Pix?

Edited by Andre

• Baller

@Andre, one issue I have found is that the Vinyl ones are very heavy and hard to install or remove by yourself. I have a vinyl and my neighbour went with a Sunbrella like material and way easier to handle. Easy to install and fold up to store.

I did order a new canopy in 2019 from boatcoversdirect and was happy with the product and price etc. It was a shelter-rite vinyl and seems well made. I wish i had gone with the Sunbrella style material now however.

• Like 1

• Baller
12 minutes ago, jpattigr said:

@Andre, one issue I have found is that the Vinyl ones are very heavy and hard to install or remove by yourself. I have a vinyl and my neighbour went with a Sunbrella like material and way easier to handle. Easy to install and fold up to store.

I did order a new canopy in 2019 from boatcoversdirect and was happy with the product and price etc. It was a shelter-rite vinyl and seems well made. I wish i had gone with the Sunbrella style material now however.

Sunbrella is VERY nice but too much $ for me.My ski partner has it on it's lift. 10 years old and looks brand new still.

Did you go with the CDN shipping program from BCD ? If so,any CDN sale taxes were charge to you in addition ?

https://www.boatcoversdirect.com/Canadian_Orders/?&pop-up=1

Edited by Andre

• Baller

Contact Dave Galligan aka GO FAST!! at customboatliftvinyl.com located in Breezy Point,Mn. He will get you whatever top you want for your lift at a discount.Tell him bananaron sent you and you need the ball of spray discount.He lived on my lake for yrs and would pull me skiing. I have bought tops and lift Motors from him for many yrs. CALL DAVE AT 833-562-5330 OFFICE. AND 218-820-3065 CELL

• Like 1

• Baller

@Andre oh yeah it works, in fact I have exact same canopy frame this thread starts with -and it’s frankensteined onto a shore station lift (not a shore master) best friend came over and we knocked it out There’s thicker stuff too I’m sure you know

B49E9A4F-3870-4451-90B0-FA86CF501A69.jpeg1B6D0A85-71DE-44C7-82D3-494AEF4ACBB3.jpegD43C8B20-6E6E-4C38-A69D-AD395560DB2B.jpeg19CA2B14-4CF0-4607-B736-0CFFDD85EE07.jpeg

0DE25EFC-3B39-4BF8-9F50-3847BA856B90.jpeg

Edited by alex38
  • Like 1

• Baller

My original RGC https://rgcmarine.com/ Sunbrella canopy failed late in 2019 after 15+ years of use. I got a quote then from the RGC dealer in fall 2019 $3,315.00 for Sunbrella, and $2,755.00 for Vinyl.

In 2021 I purchased a replacement canopy in vinyl SR18 from https://rush-co.com/ boat canopy division https://abc-canopies.com/. They provided excellent customer service, ensuring the correct size and fabric selection. In 2021 the replacement (21’x9') canopy was $761. I couldn’t justify 3.5 times the price for an OEM Vinyl or 4+ times the price for Sunbrella. I agree the vinyl is heavier to move and install than the Sunbrella.

3’ mesh sides would have been $550 more from Rush-CO.  @thager thanks for the suggestion of tennis court privacy mesh for the sides, just need to find them in 21’ and 9’ lengths. 

Original worn Sunbrella 

image.png

New vinyl, first day installed, still needed to complete bungee attachments to remove wrinkles. 

image.png

Edited by vtjc
  • Like 2

• Baller

@vtjcI made use of two overlapping 5ft x 50ft tennis privacy nettings. Hung them with ball bungees and safety ties from the canopy frame. Added a 3/4" pvc lower frame safety tied to fit inside the lift dimensions then installed a manual lift system with rope and pulleys. Total cost was < $120 

• Like 2

• Baller
5 hours ago, RAWSki said:

@alex38 that is cool I have never seen a canopy frame essentially shrink wrapped, how is it holding up?

really nice that the canopy fits inside the hoist structure for winter storage.  NIce job

Got a couple pin holes that I will tape before she goes in, I left it up for the winter, for some reason it seems to almost shed wind? Is that a thing?

I would do it again, now that we know how. 

• Baller

I would be happy to help any one find the perfect canopy replacement !  Light , heavy , longer custom sides , mesh sides etc … I’m a dealer for the biggest marine cover mfg and can get you great long last canopies and a fair price , shipped to you . Give me a call we can walk threw different options . 

my website is www.perfectshores.com 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

Second vote here for Rush-co as well. We had an old Shore Station pontoon lift with no canopy, bought the canopy hardware from Shore Station and the sales guy said you can buy the canopy from us if you want, but if you want to save a lot of $ for the same quality, go to Rush-co. We got a vinyl one, fit perfect, great quality, but it is heavy. Got it in 2014 and still looks great.

• Baller

I have a Hewlett Lift and Canopy cover.  It is the vinyl material.  It was brand new in 2017 and this is probably it's last season. The threads are failing, and the vinyl material has become crispy.  The lift next to mine is also a Hewlett lift and with the same canopy.  It is in much better shape than mine. It is also older (~2010). On my todo list is to ask the neighbor if he has done anything special to prolong the life of his canopy.  We both hose off the dirt/dust build up off during the summer, and fall before taking off to store. Both of our covers are stored inside Dec through Feb.  I am not sure if Hewlett changed the materials between 2010 and 2017.  That is another thing to check this spring to see if we have the same product number on the canopy.  Located in Calif, so there are no local lift manufacturers in the area.

I will be looking for alternatives to the Hewlett canopy.

Edited by david_ski
additional clarifications

• Baller
3 hours ago, david_ski said:

I have a Hewlett Lift and Canopy cover.  It is the vinyl material.  It was brand new in 2017 and this is probably it's last season. The threads are failing, and the vinyl material has become crispy.  The lift next to mine is also a Hewlett lift and with the same canopy.  It is in much better shape than mine. It is also older (~2010). On my todo list is to ask the neighbor if he has done anything special to prolong the life of his canopy.  We both hose off the dirt/dust build up off during the summer, and fall before taking off to store. Both of our covers are stored inside Dec through Feb.  I am not sure if Hewlett changed the materials between 2010 and 2017.  That is another thing to check this spring to see if we have the same product number on the canopy.  Located in Calif, so there are no local lift manufacturers in the area.

I will be looking for alternatives to the Hewlett canopy.

Do you mean Hewitt lift ?

• Baller

I went ahead and ordered a canopy from Rush-Co direct from the website last monday afternoon (couldn't buy from @34mph as he don't take credit card.However he offered a very nice discount and i encouraged any BOS members that need a cover and can pay with Venmo or Paypal to buy from him).

The cover wasn't stock and was supposed to take a week to make.However,18 hrs after ordering i received a shipping notice.After double checking with Travis at Rush-Co,the cover was indeed made to order right away and one week later to the minute,the cover is in Florida waiting for my Snowbirding ski partner to bring it back to Canada for me.

Incredible service from Travis and Rush-Co! I will post a report on fit and finish when installed!

Aucune description disponible.

• Baller

Here it is,one week after install. Fit very nicely and is loose enough for easy install. I gave it a coat of 303 UV protectant before installing.

Very happy! A friend who was spending winter in Fla brought it back for me so no taxes of any sort.

1300$ CDN wich is half the price of local boat lift makers were asking me.

16847690664629149050754071313949.jpg

Edited by Andre
spelling
  • Like 3