Moomba Masters International Invitational March 9th – 13th 2023

Horton

• Administrators

@MDB1056yea IDK. The web site and the webcast were both underwhelming this year. I am sure they have heard it. I wish they would do a better job but do not want to pile on. They have budget - my guess is that no one involved is excited about the web part of the production. It requires someone who is passionate about it.  

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@kelvin I think Moomba is amazing and I enjoy it every year. It is a fantastic exposure for skiers and the prize money is high. 

This is an opportunity to showcase the sport to non skiers.

Now, let's not kid ourselves about how much of the 50k to 100k actually watches or has any interest about what is going on, on the Yarra. 

Most people are enjoying a long weekend, riding rollercoasters after eating too much truck food.

• Baller

@kelvin

the 900 people are the one that will be buying a d3 or a Nautique boat. not the people walking on the bridge on their way to buy a waffle 🙂

Again, great and unique event. I think the webcast is important. The ads are way over the top. 

• Baller

It certainly makes us appreciate usawaterski.org, our membership fees and volunteers.

Meanwhile for the moomba website and live stream fiasco:

If the company I worked for would have rolled that total system out, we would have been fired.

If I was a sponsor and paid money for that, I would be looking to terminate the contract. I would also be looking for a decision maker to hold accountable.

But it looks like Correct Craft and Brian Sullivan et. al approve of that level of quality and representing them! Surprising as that is not the "Ski Nautique" of the past in quality and communication.

Edited by scoke
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
  • Thanks 1

• Baller

On a different subject than the Moomba webcast deficiencies, obviously the city of Melbourne or the state of Victoria or perhaps even the country of Australia itself has passed some law requiring everyone on the dock to wear flotation devices.  Apparently there must have been a rash of professional water skiers and support personnel falling off docks into 3 ft. of water and drowning.  Such a tragedy.  Or were the legislators, ignorant of what they were legislating, fixing a problem that never existed and was highly unlikely to ever exist?  I remember many years ago when I was running dive tours to the Coral Sea and Great Barrier Reef, Australia started instituting such ridiculous and restrictive regulations on the dive industry that it made it all but impossible to conduct business there.  Let's be vigilant to prevent this extreme nanny state mentality that requires such overreaching requirements such as wearing life jackets whenever setting foot on a dock does not come to the U.S.  It's bad enough here as it is, but as witnessed at Moomba, clearly it could get worse.

• Like 4

• Baller
1 hour ago, brody said:

@whitem71, I ended up texting Taryns Mom yesterday,  she was waiting for an MRI to clear her for travel, but there doesnt appear to be anything serious.  This was BEFORE the MRI results.  Hopefully its all good for her.  

Thanks brody. Missed the live coverage but knew something pretty bad had happened from the chat on the livestream indicating Jacinta has gone in to help Taryn who was KO’d. My thoughts are with her and fingers crossed for a good recovery 🤞

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, rockdog said:

And ofcourse vice versa @Hortonnotice how no Australians compete over there anymore.

Moomba entry is by invite only so its likely many more resident Australians (and nearby Kiwis) want to ski but don't make the cut 

• Baller
36 minutes ago, Nater said:

@KelvinThe announcers during one of the broadcasts once said that there were “50k watching online”……. 🤣🤣🤣

@NaterNo harm in inflating it by adding a few zeros is there? 🤷‍♂️🤦‍♂️

• Like 1

• Baller
2 hours ago, Nater said:

@KelvinThe announcers during one of the broadcasts once said that there were “50k watching online”……. 🤣🤣🤣

Yea, I was watching at that time directly on their livestream.com feed and it showed less than 1000 viewers.  I webcast many events myself and pay attention to that kind of detail.

• Like 3

• Baller

So many things wrong with the Moomba broadcast.  I gave up trying to watch, it was so bad.  Don't want criticize too much, but how on earth will it improve unless we give constructive criticism.  Perhaps some of the problem stems with the Australian government and how they shut down the entire country during covid and it's now they are playing catchup.  Some of their regulations are ridiculous such as those silly life vest they're wearing on the dock

• Like 1