2014 CC 200 engine upgrade project

RichardDoane

• Baller_

One of the Hilltop boats has gotten to the over 4000 hours mark, so it's getting a new powertrain.  The 5.7 is getting upgraded to a 6.0.  It's a pretty straight forward project.  Today we took out the old, and tomorrow we'll get to installing the new.

• Like 8

• Baller_

@RichardDoanewas the 4000 hr engine showing any signs of getting worn out?  Low power, oil consumption, low compression, etc? Or are you replacing proactively and because you really want the 6l?  

Curious if 4k hrs is a reasonable rule of thumb for when a well maintained engine is getting close to end of life.

@jpwhit ZO has a screen for you to input the engine and it "adjusts" behind the scenes.

Edited by Bruce_Butterfield
  • Like 1

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@RichardDoane - nice upgrade.  It would be great info for the community to do a compression and leak down test simply to provide a data point on 4K hours on an SBC.  Oil consumption and maybe an oil sample test (Blackstone Labs).

You got your money’s worth from that lump:-)  I would love to toss it on a dyno and see how much the power changed.

Great looking boat.

• Like 1

• Baller_

2023 is going to be great! Our Faithful Tow Friend gets an upgrade, I got a new hip, and even a new ski!

BTW what octane does the 6.0 require?

And while you're at it, see if you can get a heated passenger seat in there too!

And please check the heater; not much heat the past few winters.

AND - THANKS FOR ALL YOU DO TO KEEP OUT HT TOWS HAPPY!!

• Baller

This is the boat I ski behind regularly, sooooo looking forward to this new engine. Thanks @RichardDoane for getting this done when the weather sucks anyway 😀

@Bruce_Butterfield This boat has had more and more issues over the past two years as the hours have really racked up. Last year Richard had to put new exhaust manifolds on, replace the injectors, and many other items that have caused us to be without the boat at Hilltop. We have a lot of members so there are days in the summer where this boat barely stops from dawn to dusk...

I do have one question for @Jody_Seal or anyone else who may know....We currently run an Acme 422 on this boat with the 5.7L, should we be looking at a different prop with the 6.0L?

• Baller_

@AdamCord I have a 200 with 6.0l and the standard prop is the 668.  Basically same as 422 with 0.100" more cup 

@Rednucleus the 409 Hp 6L runs on standard 87 octane.  There were a small number of 450Hp 6L that did require higher octane.

Edited by Bruce_Butterfield
  • Like 2

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@Gloersen  new dripless is on the way

@DW  that 5.7 runs well and has fresh cats and injectors, it's for sale as soon as possible, anyone interested send me a PM, or call Burien Auto Repair, Inc.  206 242 9558

@auskier  I've been told that the engine hatch will fit, and will find out late this afternoon if not

@markn religiously change your trans fluid, and your transmission will last over 4000 hours

@jpwhit  the boat has RevS single puck version, and will be good to go

@Bruce_Butterfield  preventative maintenance, and like @AdamCord said, this is the time of year to do it

@AdamCord  yes, we should play with some prop options, you decide and let me know #'s,  I'll pop the original loose, and we'll see what's best result

• Baller_

@Silent_Seven  I believe that it is still the original shaft, the strut bushings do have some wear, and we will replace them eventually, and possibly the shaft depending on how it measures.  we want to get the boat up and running asap, so the strut project will be next.  if it does need a shaft, the Elbert's stuff from Oregon is excellent.  Dr. Jack's Brendella received an Elbert's kit if you want to look back to that discussion.

• Baller_

Don’t go too big, the small hole is to create some back pressure to keep the heater core full and to slow the flow rate.  Too fast a flow rate reduces heat transfer.  

• Like 3

• Baller_

the steering cable was an easy replacement since the engine was out, and removing the old red heater hoses made it even easier.  the housing pivot arrived and installed nicely, I smeared the ball and socket  well with copper anti-seize, so we'll adjust it to center the steering wheel once we get to the lake and water test everything

• Baller_

The dripless shaft seal upgrade is waiting for the arrival of new bushings for the strut housing. We’ll pull the rudder and shaft, remove the strut to replace the bushings, and re-install with the updated OJ kit once the engine break in is complete and it’s back to the shop for service. 

• Baller

As a Nautique 200 owner - I’m curious where those shower lines go, as in where is the shower head located? I have thought about adding a shower for a couple of years but have found it hard to find the kit and also just don’t know where the shower head and hose would go. Is your HT boat one hidden in one of the side trunks? 

• Like 1

• Baller_

Shower comes out of the port side storage compartment since that’s the  starting dock side for filling the cooler. Shower gets fused power from the starter and the pressure switch on the pump regulates it. Battery power is always disconnected when not in use, so no need for an on/off switch. 

• Baller_

@Andre  I'm not sure of the cost of just a transmission, we ordered the engine complete w/ trans from PCM.  Doug Moss is my "go-to" guy for getting powertrains, and he'll know pricing if you're interested in something.  Send me a PM and I'll get you his contact info.  Doug's been a great help with all the silly questions I've had related to these projects, and is very knowledgeable. 

• Like 4

• Baller_

@Mastercrafter  I took cold supply from a tee that I cut into the hose from after the raw water pump as it crosses under the front of the engine headed for the inlet for the engine water pump.  The hot supply comes off the port exhaust manifold rear end, by removing the plug and using a brass bushing reducer for the 3/8 hose barb.  The 12v pump is located in the left rear corner of the boat, outboard of the fuel tank, with the spray hose living in that left side pocket.  I'll post better photos Monday.

Edited by RichardDoane
forgot something
  • Like 1