Refinish wood swim step instructions

Blofeld

• Baller

I’ve used a palm sander (mouse) just lightly on occasion and then oiling. Just apply with a cheap 1” chip brush . I usually pull the pins and put the platform on horses in the sun. Give it a couple of light coats to soak in . At 31 and 40 yrs old they both still look fabulous. +1 on Starbright 

• Baller

I have refinished at least 3-4 platforms to use as a bar tops , tables and a shelf. All the real platforms I have picked up have been in terrible condition and I have had to sand (hours) first then teak with a cheap 1” brush at least 3 times out in the sun. They have all come out amazing, like brand new. Obviously, the sanding is the hardest part, and if the platform has slots, the easiest way to to do it by hand in this areas. It is not a quick job, but the end result pay off! Good luck!

AA123452-DA4D-407F-B517-5959674BFEAA.jpeg

19B32E7C-9C64-493D-8E60-8A1AC82D45AE.jpeg

1F9E9284-863F-43F3-AE56-E6DE6EFB8C0D.png

FEA3E233-CE84-4657-B9A1-F3323938C6DC.png

Edited by Shell
  • Like 6

• Baller

Avoid sanding as much as you can.  

Sanding physically removes wood so eventually that's just going to wear out your platform if at all possible just remove the platform and scrub with the various cleaners and brighteners until you get the wood lightened up.  Then evaluate sanding.

Finally the best bit of recommendation I've had over the years I've been doing this is that teak oil isn't like "teak wood juice" its a mixture of other wood finishes like boiled linseed, tung oil, or simplly mineral oil.

My solution has long been to use a mixture of the starbrite teak oil with 50-50 boiled linseed.  And then to apply that with a chip brush and then use a stainless or bronze wool to buff it out till it isn't glossy.

• Administrators

@markn I used the star bright kit as mentioned at the top of the thread in addition to sanding ahead of time. It looks really good but it's not perfect. if I was going to do it again I would sand more and do that first step of the starbright kit maybe a little more aggressively.

Probably no one else can see the issues but I can see where some of the damaged wood was removed by the chemical leaving the finish less than mirror smooth. I can also see little spots where the chemical didn't quite remove enough.

I guess I need to accept the fact that I'm going to put my feet on this thing and put coffee cup rings on it by tomorrow.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

On a related topic, I just learned that I can buy a new custom built platform for my 94 Sport Nautique. www.correctcraftfan.com/store/ has one that is jatoba wood vs teak, and www.teakworldenterprises.com/collections/swim-platforms lists having a teak option for the Sport. 

Any opinions on jatoba vs teak? Price is very similar. My platform is dead, missing some pieces, screws starting to poke through from too much sanding from previous owners. 

Edited by chaloux

• Baller
On 2/9/2023 at 5:44 PM, foxriverat said:

It depends how bad of shape the teak is in whether it needs to be sanded or not. You may be able to just use a cleaner as in this system. http://www.starbrite.com/item/premium-teak-care-kit  Apply teak oil to a rag and rub into teak so you don`t have a mess.

The starbrite kit was a great recommendation.  I just refinished the swim platform on my new to me boat.  2005 and the owner is not sure anything had ever been done to the platform.

Here are the photos.  No sanding was done.

spacer.png

Two coats of teak oil.

spacer.png

• Like 2