Living in the Midwest in winter...

Slalom.Steve

• Baller_

@epnault, I hear you.  The closest I get to enduring it is the thought of not wondering where my next glass of water will come from - or the next hurricane.

I’m probably going to have to put a sauna in my workout room at some point.  I should have done it years ago.

On a brighter note, I have noticed that our winters are becoming shorter and less severe.  It was in the 70s for several days in November here this year.  Still not enough sun, though.  And, by not enough, i mean none.  Ever.

• Like 3

The worst slalom equipment I own is between my ears.

• Baller_

@tjs1295 That's like telling someone who wants a brownie to stop complaining because there's plenty of other food to eat like raw broccoli and unwashed turnips, or like telling a crack addict to just go smoke a cigarette instead 😆 I run outside in the winter, and my offseason sport is rock climbing (indoor gyms) and I quite enjoy it... but nothing compares to skiing. It's not about being cold or warm, it's just about my love of water skiing.

• Like 4

• Baller

I hear what you guys are saying. It’s hard to beat a great day on the lake in the summer. Although, all the different seasons and opportunities to do different things is what I love about living in the upper Midwest. 

Here’s one other idea if you’re stuck inside for months on end, and can’t water ski. Buy a Concept2 row erg. Buy it, don’t use the one at the gym. That way there’s no excuse for not using it, and they cost less than most skis. Row 4-7 days a week. Do a 2k every 3-4 weeks, and see how you stack up to people throughout the world. It’s a true apples to apples comparison. And it will probably help your skiing. 

• Baller
18 hours ago, braindamage said:

Yeah, all the winter snow stuff used to be fun, but so far this year we’ve had little snow and a bunch of 40deg and rain. It sucks

We've had a rip-off of a winter here in SE Michigan. Same thing: warm temps, wet, drizzle, no snow to speak of. Too muddy to mtn bike, no snow to fat bike, snowboard, XC ski, or snowshoe. Lake not frozen solid yet to ice skate. I've been running 3 days/week and in the gym another 3-4 days which is helping to pass time and make winter "productive", but it sure isn't as fun as normal.. and makes me really really want summer to come. 

Edited by Mastercrafter
  • Like 3

• Baller
32 minutes ago, Mastercrafter said:

We've had a rip-off of a winter here in SE Michigan. Same thing: warm temps, wet, drizzle, no snow to speak of. Too muddy to mtn bike, no snow to fat bike, snowboard, XC ski, or snowshoe. Lake not frozen solid yet to ice skate. I've been running 3 days/week and in the gym another 3 days which is helping to pass time and make winter "productive", but it sure isn't as fun as normal.. and makes me really really want summer to come. 

I do feel bad for you guys that are stuck in no man’s land. It’s not winter, but it’s not summer. That would be my worst nightmare.

• Baller

@tjs1295

Great ideas around working out.  Thinking about improving my skiing keeps me in the box 5x a week.  In the winter I move home my SkiErg, RowErg, and Assault bike from my garage crossfit gym at the cabin to my basement.  I like to use this equipment on weekends or nights - really good equipment for low impact endurance.

• Like 1

• Baller

@Mastercrafternice set up.  I have 1100 hp sitting in that same kind of space(heated for winter) and go to the gym for the other equipment--$38/month 😃

@tjs1295love your blue Nautique! I think a Porsche Cayman may fit where the exercise equipment is located 😃

I'm not trying to be a dink at all---very cool winter set-ups to keep in shape for ripping some balls.  Good on both of you.  I actually converted my garage at the beginning of covid not realizing how long the ride would be---winter came and the cars went back inside.  

• Like 2

• Baller

@6balls A Porsche would definitely fit there!!! I give thanks all the time that I'm not a car guy. This has been my setup for 17 years. Not enough room in the house for all the gym equipment. I was living the covid life before covid. I'm not very close to a gym, and I don't want any built in excuse for not working out. I'm also antisocial, and a massive home body. And no one will care if I use the rower for 2 hours while listening to hair band music.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

• Baller

I hear you @Shell  I should clarify a little bit. I do understand the car stuff, just not enough to justify the expense for me. I've driven the nice cars at one of those places in Las Vegas, and we have a Lexus IS 300 F sport. I know that's not much, but it's exciting enough for me. If I could drive a fast/nice sports car once or twice a year, that would satisfy my cravings. 

• Like 1

• Baller
9 hours ago, DW said:

@Kimbymon - do you annoy your brother with a plethora of movie quotes 😂🤣

Lol.  He does that all on his own. However of note is that anytime you mentioned the movie at TopGun (which is in Fallon NV) you were fined $25..  He threatened to disown me if I didn’t see the new TopGun Maverick..🤷‍♀️

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• Baller

While not exactly the Midwest, winter here north of Toronto really used to get to me. I picked snowboarding back up and that helped a lot. Moved to the bush, got a hot tub, that also helped a lot. We're in the process of building a garage where I'm hoping to have a workout/project space (and boat storage 😀) as we have no extra room in the house at all. This winter has been total crap though - we're either getting 3 feet of snow in a few days, or it's -30°C, or it's raining. It's been all over the place and hard to get into any sort of rhythm.

• Baller_

My Mom showing my sister how to plow a path in the snow so she could go down to feed the horses.  A cheerful Minnesota day in January.  Water skiing will be back in 5 months. 

(edit) I should have mentioned that this same sister had a moment of fame waterskiing.  She appeared water skiing on the back Full Cover of Life Magazine when she was age18 skiing double on slalom skis with another neighbor girl.  It was the only time we had a helicopter on Christmas Lake  taking pictures of water skiers.  Our neighbor was Frank Bedor who had the Scott Atwater account.  They had their motor on a Crosby boat for the ad.  

horse.JPG

Edited by swbca
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

• Baller_

@swbca ok if you don't win quote of the day, WTF is a "perfect Minnesota January"?????  That should be a poll:

1. a case of burbon

2. 10 cases of burbon

3. Everyone in Minnesota freezes to death and raises the average US IQ by 10 points

3. 10 cords of firewood

4. 2 days in row of above 0F

5. MS moves back to Southern Canada and is never seen again

@6ballsif you only have 1100HP in your garage, you need to step up your game and call DW😁

• Haha 3

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding