Software to use with GoPro?

03RLXi

• Baller

My wonderful wife surprised me with a GoPro Hero11 Black for Christmas. What's the go to software to use for reviewing my waterskiing video?  It's my first ever action camera so not sure what to use.

So far experience of the camera itself is good, but as far as software and managing files goes, really frustrating! Have put the Quik app on phone and laptop. My phone is an iPhone 6 so small screen and hence not great. Haven't paid for subscription so that limits some of the Quik mobile features (we ski in an area with no phone coverage so buying the subscription to get unlimited cloud seems like pointless thing to do). Furthermore the Quik desktop software hasn't been supported for several years and that's causing issues. It'll see the GoPro but won't download from it via cable. I use windows or card reader to get the data onto the laptop.    

Go to software for other uses? Trekking, biking, etc

• Like 2

• Baller

Yes, I've been plugging it into laptop and using windows explorer to move the files to hard drive then view them. Keen to know what's the best/easiest/good value viewing tools.

Wondering if a tablet would be good in boat to review the session?

Edited by 03RLXi

• Baller

If you uninstall the Quick for desktop app you should be able to plug the camera into a computer usb port and drag the files like Horton said. I have not found an all encompassing piece of software for the GoPro cameras  

There are a ton of options for viewers out there.  slo-mo and frame by frame are helpful.  Some googling should find one you like. 

Get high, Get fast, and do some good work.

• Baller
57 minutes ago, 503Kento said:

If you uninstall the Quick for desktop app you should be able to plug the camera into a computer usb port and drag the files like Horton said. I have not found an all encompassing piece of software for the GoPro cameras  

No need to uninstall as I'm able to use USB cable and drag files even with Quik installed.

• Baller

@503Kento I just let the Quik app install itself automatically. Started Quik and Quik had a connect camera, show me how. See photos. Tried that several times but it failed over and over. Would recognise camera was plugged in but wouldn't see the files on it.

Out of frustration tried simple Windows Explorer and it sees the camera and the files 🙂

Screenshot 2023-01-20 162624.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-20 162734.jpg

Screenshot 2023-01-20 162754.jpg

• Baller

GoPro Player is the best desktop software for viewing GoPro files on a PC or Mac. Quik for Desktop hasn't been supported for a couple of years. 

Like Horton said, if you remove your SD card from the camera and insert it into a USB-card reader, you can move the files onto your desktop. This is the easiest method since it's simple file management and doesn't launch a photos app or require your machine to recognize the camera.