Ski School Recommendations

jedgell

• Baller

We're planning a spring break trip to Orlando.  Looking for some recommendations for a ski school that will be great for the family.  I have 2 young boys, one that is 9 and running mini course consistently, occasionally runs the real course.  My other son is 6 and skiing on two skis.  I'm typically a mid to deep 35 off skier.  We'll probably ski Mon, Wed, and Friday.  So want coaching that can cater to all of us and most importantly make it fun for the kids.  I know there's a ton of places, been looking at Rini's and The Boarding School.  We'll be there the week of 3/13, so any coaches that would be going to Moomba would be an issue.

Thanks!

• Administrators

Fun for the kids is the hard part. I am working on a trip for Burford Danger and myself. I know if she goes to Orlando and spends all day with a bunch of old men skiers it will go BAD. I am leaning toward Rini's but would like to hear what everyone has to say. If it was just a trip for me I might still go see Matt but that would be a totally different trip.

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Can't recommend the Boarding School highly enough.   I have a 10 (taught her to slalom) and 7 year old (still on 2 connected skis)and Travis and/Fred have worked with them and definitely made it fun.  You can even stay right at the lake with them if you want.  I go down there from the midwest 2-3 times a year.   

• Like 2

• Baller

Thanks. Yeah my biggest concern is my 6 yr old. I can just see him complaining after we’ve been there an hour if there aren’t other things to do.  A swim area or other kids there would make all the difference. I want them to enjoy it so we can go back next year!

• Administrators

@jedgellThat is exactly my concern. In this case I would rather it be a positive kid ski experience than it be the absolute best coaching.  As I have said elsewhere you can't swing a cat in Orlando without hitting a really good ski school. 

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Y'all should coordinate some sort of ski trip yearly with your kids.  Could make nearly any school fun if it's a yearly camp of like aged kids of ballers then as they grow up they'd see each other at events likely.  I don't have any kids but seems like that could be something that would let you do destination trips to places you wanted to go but still have the kids set up for a not boring day 

Edited by BraceMaker
  • Like 1

• Baller

Highly recommend Jodi Fisher, Jodi's Ski Skool. He has a mini course set up and does spring and fall tournaments that include grass routes classes, maybe you'll be there during his spring tournament. Great with the kids and all level of adults. Has some on site boarding, including his tree house. 

• Like 2

• Baller

In early December I did a two-day trip to The Boarding School with my 4-year-old. He still skis on a trainer ski and Travis accommodates his needs very well. I usually make 2-4 trips there a year by myself and can't recommend it enough. There is always something going on worth watching or talking about. We don't wakeboard but enjoy the boat rides watching some of the great boarders that train there. The house being 100 feet away from the dock allows for easy bathroom breaks, snack time, and the much-needed nap times as well. It is truly a magical place for memories to be made. 

I have considered trying some other places just for fun but have been apprehensive due to the idle time created by not having a house to rest and relax between sets. 

• Like 3

• Baller

@HortonMake it about her and go to (gulp) Disney (or other venues) and the skiing is secondary?  Go get some coaching and fun while there but make it mostly about stuff that is otherwise fun for Buford--whatever that may be you obviously know her best.  How old is she? 

Maybe hit Miami instead and hit the Miami ski club--I was able to rip there years ago.  They have a good aquarium too if you aren't used to San Diego for same--that would allow you to bounce south to the keys for some cool snorkeling or perhaps a resort course SCUBA experience--my daughter got certified at 11 y.o.   

Bottom line is father-daughter trip I'd make it about her--I know you are a skier and want to get some coaching.  Her life is (I'm thinking) a lot of skiing in the recreational department.  Get a few sets but soup it up and give her some new and different experiences.    

• Like 3

• Baller
On 1/18/2023 at 2:46 PM, jayski said:

@drew Ross's, the ratio of kids to adults is high, the 'old man' mantra doesn't exist there, lots of amazing young skiers, good and motivating for kids to see

@drew 's lake is one of the best and Andrew Bergman is one of the best coaches... for all ages.

• Like 2

• Baller

This might be sacrilege here, but have you considered the Orlando Watersports Complex? It's mainly catered to cable wakeboarding, but has options for skiing, and a bunch of other activities to do incase the little ones decide that they don't want to ski or wakeboard at some point during the day. It might not be great for getting you coaching, but could be a fun option if a traditional ski school doesn't work out.

• DIslike 1

• Baller

I would go to Drew's and ski with Andrew, he's great with all ages. Drew's not so bad too 😉  Neilly, Charlie, Pato (and his sister) are pretty regular on the dock.  Can't beat the lake.  I love skiing at TBS, but it's a little older demo IMO.  Rini's lake isn't nearly as nice as Drew's...  Jodi is also great with kids but a little further west.

• Like 2

• Baller_

@horton Does Buford wakeboard at all? If so, I recommend going to OWC (owned by Correct Craft) in the afternoons after skiing to ride the cable. This is very popular with kids and lots of fun. And loads cheaper than Disney. Also, if you want to do some park activity, Sea World has great deals, again much cheaper than Disney, but more expensive than riding the cable…

• Heterodox 1

Lpskier

I know this thread is a few months old but just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for ski schools. Lady in late 40's who run 49km and working on 52km and wanting to learn to trick. Friend travelling with is beginner slalom course skier. Going to be in Florida for all of September. Never been to Florida before. Didn't want to be at a school with just loads of kids. Was looking at Cory Pickos for at least a week but wasn't sure where else would be suitable. Wanting to make some major improvements before the Southern Hemisphere summer.

• Baller

Rini knows a thing or two about tricks, his athletes placed first and fourth in women’s last weekend and first in men’s. He also coaches some fairly high end slalom skiers too. His side kick, Cole Grant, is top level also! You can’t go wrong there, he is the best!

• Like 2

• Baller

Recommend Jack Travers. Jack and Chris are excellent slalom coaches.  Natalia and Alex excellent world class trick skiers and coaches. A great vibe will be going on there in September as the Worlds will be there in October.  Jon, Will, Jamie, Cole, Rob, Dorian, Loren and others are all training there and are a great group to hang out with and are great coaches too. Accommodations available on site too.

• Like 1

• Baller
19 hours ago, Ozskigal said:

I know this thread is a few months old but just wondering if anybody had any recommendations for ski schools. Lady in late 40's who run 49km and working on 52km and wanting to learn to trick. Friend travelling with is beginner slalom course skier. Going to be in Florida for all of September. Never been to Florida before. Didn't want to be at a school with just loads of kids. Was looking at Cory Pickos for at least a week but wasn't sure where else would be suitable. Wanting to make some major improvements before the Southern Hemisphere summer.

My wife and I have just returned from our second visit to the Boarding School.  We are both somewhat older than you.  One of us runs the course, one not quite.  We both managed 3 sets a day for 5 days.  Travis and Freddie could not have been better.  Freddie gets genuinely excited about a skier's progress at any level and both his and Travis' input is fantastic.  I am sure you could make some major improvements if you spent some time at the Boarding School.

• Like 1

Thank-you all for your replies.  Might try a mixture between them since will be for the whole of September. How many weeks would you suggest as my friend will be there for a month too and thinks she would like to do 4 weeks skiing. I wasn't sure if this would be too much for her. She quite strong and has been doing a lot of strength training in preparation. I will be lecturing at a university there  3 half days a week and she will have no other contacts while I am working. Really appreciate everyones advice. It's been 10 years since I was last in Orlando.