Dial calipers - recommendations

Ali

• Baller_
  • Like 2

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Baller_

@Ali - 8" minimum & lots of options for a wide price range & repeatability results.  Ironically, I have good luck with the cheap Harbor Freight set although it may simply be the specific one.  Also, calipers come in many styles so depending on how you use the caliper results can change.  Example, using jaws measurement technique can result in using part of the jaws that are not calibrated or ground and has no relationship to the displayed length (the case in the H-F version).  Thickness of the depth probe leads to differences in the way DFT is measured by most.  If you are attempting to compare numbers, there is probably more variation in the way people measure than in the calipers themselves, see the 'use' paragraph in 'the link.  Mitutoyo & Starrett are considered the gold standard.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calipers

• Like 1

• Baller

FYI

As of late we have had issues with new Starrett brand digital calipers failing to read accurately. This was the 12 inch model used in our machine shop but the electronics likely are used for all the lengths. When compared to the reference set of mechanical dial caliperes it was not uncommon to get 0.010" variation between the two. The Starrett did read consistantly for the given measurement being made however it was wrong.

My Mitutoyo calipers after 30 yrs of use and wear are seeing up to +/- 0.002 variation, too much for machine shop use but close enough for my fin set ups 

Edited by S1Pitts
  • Like 1

• Administrators

I avoid digital at all cost. When your hands are damp or sweaty they can malfunction. The old school dial is the way to go. I paid for Mitutoyo but the Harbor Freight stuff is not really terrible and is cheap. As @DW said you need 8" 

• Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

I used cheap digital calipers for years, then switched to a new Mitutoyo dial-caliper 3 years ago (for fin adjustments and for reloading ammunition).  Wish I had invested the money years ago.  I also found a used Mitutoyo caliper on eBay that was in good shape and half the cost of new.  I'm usually super cheap, but this is an investment in quality I haven't regretted.  

• Like 1

• Administrators

@AndersonI believe in the "you only cry once" method. What that means is when you buy the pro quality stuff and pay top dollar you cry once. When you by the cheap crap and buy more than one or it does not work when you need it to -  you cry more than once.

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

Like @Bruce_Butterfield I got a digital iGauging caliper on Amazon. Was about $50 for the 8" model. I always keep a couple of spare disk batteries with it and I've never had a problem. I just looked it up and I purchased them through Amazon in 2016, so they've been working well for me going on 7 years now. Prior to that I tried to use a super-cheap Harbor Freight model and got really frustrated quickly.

Edited by KRoundy
Added additional detail

• Baller

Mitutoyo 8”, you only buy it once, dial or digital… you can’t go wrong and it will last forever. If you go digital, better buy the coolant proof model.

It’s like buying a good watch that you buy once and will be on your wrist there after. Well… and then you become a hardcore skier and you have to take it off all the time… so don’t know about the watch… but buy the mitutoyo..😊

• Administrators

@jjackkrashI love my dial Mitutoyo but I have certainly had issues with the digital ones. As I've said previously the issue is that if your hands at all damp while handling the caliper it will give weird readings.

Drop a dime in the can