Wiley Trick wrap for slalom

jnan66

• Baller

Anyone using Wiley trick wrap for slalom? Any problems with release? Can anyone compare the Trick wrap vs Pro build when it comes to performance/release?

Im currently on the T-factor+rtp and like it very much, but very worried about the release. Seems to be critical how fresh the bungees are and how tight you lace it. Just checking out the alternatives. Hardshell is not an alternative for me

Thanks Johan

• Baller

Way before hard shells I used front and rear Willeys trick wrap for slalom.  It was some of the best supporting binding for the time. I never had an issue releasing. If your looking for another option other than hard shells this is a great option. 
if you want a rear trick wrap you will have to build it. 

• Baller_

Years ago, I built my own version of the trick wraps with extra thick rubber for even more support.  Then I duck taped the tops for MORE support and ensured I would not come out.  I used that setup for several years before moving to hardshells.  Disclamier: not releasing is my preference, every skier needs to make their own choice.

Releasing is highly dependent on sizing and how tight the binding is.  If its tight enough to give the support you want, it may not release easily.  I would hesitate to use a tight trick wrap and RTP.

• Like 1

If it was easy, they would call it Wakeboarding

• Administrators

Trick Wraps will work great. The argument could he made that the are higher performance than hard shells.

Based on comfort alone you can have my hard shells when you take them out of my cold dead hands.

• Like 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

@jnan66Have been in double tfactors now for years and not had a problem with releasing and I cinch them fairly tight . Have a great OTF video from October showing frame by frame, I went one way and fortunately the ski and handle another. Agree with @Bruce_Butterfield - not releasing in most situations is my preference, but releasing only in those extreme cases.  

• Administrators

@jnan66 for slalom I do not think there is much of a difference.

With the standard style (not the Trick) I think you can get them extra tight if you want without distorting the shape. 

With the trick wrap I think you get more front to back support but really not a huge amount.

A few lifetimes ago I used a trick wrap under a the standard wrap for my jump bindings. 

• Thanks 1

Goode HO Syndicate   KD Skis ★ MasterCraft ★ PerfSki  

Radar ★ Reflex ★ S Lines ★ Stokes

Drop a dime in the can

• Baller

not to deviate too far from the subject, but i run a wiley’s hard core pro front w\ RTP, and was considering my options to loosen the material across the toes/front part of my foot. i’ve had the binding 4 seasons, and maybe run 20-30 sets/season. my foot around my toes are really tightly packed in. they will be throbbing after the set. length is fine, but is there a way to loosen up that wrap? 

https://wileyski.com/wiley-pro-build-front-binding-on-universal-plate/#gallery-2

• Baller

@bdave6er I have trouble with that which is why I don't use wileys, the best set up I found with them before I went to hardshells was to take a size medium binding, oblong the screw holes in the plate slightly to get a smidge more length in the boot.  Then I'd tear out the base pad foam and replace it with 1/16" EVA foam glued down.  The EVA had enough roughness to not slide around and was thinner than the factory base pad.

The large is too long and my foot slides forwards during wake crossings, and the medium just destroyed my foot until I tweaked it - for reference 11.5 B width foot.  Large is the appropriate size for my foot but is just unusable for how narrow my ankle and heel are too much room.

Edited by BraceMaker

• Baller

@bdave6er brace maker is on to something. When I worked in a ski shop long before hardshells if a binding was a bit tight one way to stretch it out was to have a friend with a bigger foot put the binding on half dozen times and that would compress the foot bed down and stretch out the toe rubber. I would recommend using soap for ease.