22 vapor binding and Vapor Carbitex binding

alex38

• Baller

Anybody running a front 22 (hardshell style) with an older regular one in rear? Ive been using these since they were RS-1s all the way to the carbitex's and never looked back.

I would like to try a front 22 with a rear Carbitex, is there any reason this would not work? TY

• Haha 1

• Baller

I use a similar setup, but a heavily modified Reflex front and an older Radar rear. Probably 4-5 yrs old. Tried going to a rear toe plate but no luck. Just strap the old Radar back on and keep going. Seems to work well.

• Thanks 1

• Baller

I’m just ready for some warm weather. I got mine setup just in time for one more round of freezing weather

question: where are you guys measuring from to get you fb DFT? On the Radar plate, the bottom of the heel of the boot is dead even with the back edge of the plate. Is that where Radar suggests we measure from? I haven’t seen any guidance put out on it

90C466D5-9D05-47DE-901F-796E5A667233.jpeg

Edited by aupatking

• Baller

I told Brooks I would tell you guys. After my first set, my advice is “BUY THE DAMN VAPOR BOOT”. It’s better than what you are using. That statement may not be fact but I’ve used enough other boots to say it’s about an 87% certainty that I’m right. 😎

• Like 2

• Baller

Hi @ColeGiacopuzzi ,

just got my 23 Vapor binding (it’s crazy) and curious if I should use same measurement as the carbitex/old vapor. I measured 29.25 and it seemed to pull the boot back. Is that right? Or is there a different measurement for new binding, ty.

Edited by alex38
  • Like 1

• Baller
On 2/11/2023 at 9:43 PM, aupatking said:

I’m just ready for some warm weather. I got mine setup just in time for one more round of freezing weather

question: where are you guys measuring from to get you fb DFT? On the Radar plate, the bottom of the heel of the boot is dead even with the back edge of the plate. Is that where Radar suggests we measure from? I haven’t seen any guidance put out on it

90C466D5-9D05-47DE-901F-796E5A667233.jpeg

What is the front release setup here, is it just the standard reflex or has radar not quite released their version to normal people yet?

• Baller

@Hucklefin the plate is Radar for odd sizes. For even sizes, like Reflex does, I believe you can use either the Radar or Reflex plate. The release and toe loop are both Reflex. Reflex seems to own the Silvretta 500 (750, 840, and now the 9-something) design/rights. That may not be exactly correct but Edge/Syndicate is using them too.

• Baller

Hey folks - I now have the opportunity to get these bindings.  How does the fit and size compare to previous versions of the vapor boot?  For comparison sake I run a size 11 in the older style boot with the insert. Should I stay the same?  Thanks!

• Baller

Yes, stay the same. If you were an 11 stick with that size. Remember when they are brand-new the liner will be as thick as it will ever be. Unlike others here I have found them true to size, but I have a fairly narrow / low-volume foot. 

• Like 1

• Baller

At Wiley's they use a toe cover over a sock with your foot in when they heat mold them to your foot.  It works great and gives your toes some wiggle room while the rest of your foot is seated perfectly.  The liner is made to form to your foot so don't skip that step.  It may seem too snug without the heat molding.    

Edited by jjackkrash

• Baller
23 minutes ago, jjackkrash said:

At Wiley's they use a toe cover over a sock with your foot in when they heat mold them to your foot.  It works great and gives your toes some wiggle room while the rest of your foot is seated perfectly.  The liner is made to form to your foot so don't skip that step.  It may seem too snug without the heat molding.    

My experience as well. Sacrifice a pair of tube socks. Cut them off at the ball of your foot. Put BOTH toe sections on your foot. Then heat mold. I wear size 14 shoes and every Vapor boot I've had didn't fit well prior to molding. 

Edited by UWSkier

• Baller

I have both the Carbitex and prior model Vapors. Still use the previous models for testing skis. I wear size 12 shoes, and size 12 in all the Vapors I’ve owned. I’ve never heat molded my liners, but am happy with the fit. 

• Baller

Thank you @ColeGiacopuzzi@skialex, I am using with the MOB so should be good. I asked because I like the new Vapor boot a lot but my super low instep foot sometimes slides forward if I let my ski get out in front of me off the second wake (I am working hard to keep over the ski more on my off-side pull but it's a work in progress). When this happens, the slide is just enough that my big toe can sometimes hurt from hitting the front/inside of the toe cap. I'm considering either trying the strap or adding a strap that attaches either to the back screw or the two side screws. That would keep the strap over my instep and prevent loss in a fall. Not sure it will work as intended but worth a shot. At this point in our season I'll probably fiddle over the winter, water is already 60F and extended forecast shows air in the mid-50s for the next week+.

• Like 1